Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

I'm ready for the warmer weather. Takes too long for my car too warm up. At -15 does it get.to operating temp?

FZP said:
I'm ready for the warmer weather. Takes too long for my car too warm up. At -15 does it get.to operating temp?

It would take a long while to warm up without an engine block heater at -15c. Probably 15 minutes of driving. The idea is that you plug the car in for 30-60 minutes to pre-heat the engine block and the coolant (which is reaches some 35-40c as I recall). This makes it a lot easier to turn over and fire, with less load on the battery, far less fuel consumption, and a reasonable time to reach full operating temperature and start warming the cabin. It also reduces engine wear quite significantly. A really cold start is very hard on the engine internals.

I have a DEFA with engine block heater, an interior heater (which warms the cabin and helps if you have to leave the car outside), and a battery charger (like a CTEC) to keep the battery topped up. When it's very cold, there may only be enough charge in the battery to turn the engine over once...

We have had DEFAs on all our cars for years. No affiliation but see www.defa.com

I finally got the tax bill, some two months after the time I should have had it, and it was at the top end of the range. What a surprise (even though the car has a reasonable spec without sunroof, 20s, BOSE, rear wash wipe etc, unlike all the 'comparable cars' used for the tax valuation). :roll: :x

Anyway, I'll lump it, and I've paid the tax bill which is more than some people might pay in income tax for a year, and now await the registration plates. By middle of next week, I'll be fully compliant, but It'll make it easier for the rozzers to issue speeding and parking tickets now.... :cop: :hand:

Hooray, I've got my new plates at last! I'll post some pictures, for what it's worth.

The car's still filthy and fitted with winter tyres... they'll be swapped on Tuesday. In the meantime, I've just retrieved my H+R lowering springs from AUH Motorsports so they'll need to be fitted sometime this spring. Hopefully in time for the first PCF event, because wheelgap. Finally, it will sit right.

Max
What's the govt rationale behind taxing the bjesus out of car owners there. Has this always been the case or a relatively new program?

It's a high tax environment, and cars are seen as an easy target, especially nice ones. That being said a litre of 95 costs about 1.50eur, annual car tax is maybe 400eur, and Insurance is relatively affordable, so much of the cost is the tax. It also means that second hand values stay high in absolute terms, so no government wants to change the system and face the wrath of a lot of taxpayers when the value of their cars suddenly 'corrects' downwards.

Spring is sprung! I've got my springs at last ... [MaxA to add pictures of H+Rs].

And I'm back on the graphite OZs and Michelins again. They do feel a bit squirly in the cold compared to the Nokians. Need to get some heat in the tyres ... one way or another 8)

MaxA said:
It's a high tax environment, and cars are seen as an easy target, especially nice ones. That being said a litre of 95 costs about 1.50eur, annual car tax is maybe 400eur, and Insurance is relatively affordable, so much of the cost is the tax. It also means that second hand values stay high in absolute terms, so no government wants to change the system and face the wrath of a lot of taxpayers when the value of their cars suddenly 'corrects' downwards.
Aus has a similar issue with their Luxury Car Tax which is 33% for anything 57k AUD and over. They are phasing it out over the next few years so will be interesting to see what happens to residuals then.
Looking forward to seeing pics with new wheels and lowered :thumb:

FZP said:
Looking forward to seeing pics with new wheels and lowered :thumb:

Thanks! It looks like my Vorschlag camber plates are finally on the way. They were returned to Vorschlag in Texas, but now I have a colleague bringing them over for me. The obvious thing to do is install the springs and plates at the same time, but that would only be in June... :dont know:

In the meantime, I'm rocking the OZs again. :thumb:

I have just booked my first track day (actually a driver's ed as the season starter) with the local club. As it's my first time out with the club, I need to attend as a novice, but no matter. It'll be good to get back on the track.

The only downside is the need to drive nearly 4 hours to Pesà¤mà¤ki, but it will also be my first time at that track and my 8th track overall. :wink:

This summer's looking up: just booked the early bird tickets for the 3 day Porsche Club Finland 2018 Festival at Alastaro at the end of August. If anyone wants to join me, just call 'shotgun'. I'll even pick you up from the airport in a 997 (if you don't have too much luggage). My passenger seat is empty right now...

the 'schlags rocked up. I pulled them apart for the picture. Need to advance the installation...

Attachments

• 20180511_142235_resized_690.jpg
    20180511_142235_resized_690.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 5,371
Pesà¤mà¤ki

I don't know what you lot were up to on Saturday, but I attended my first track day with Porsche Club Finland. It was a bit of a ***** to get there, as I hadn't checked the map, and it turned out to be a 3.5 hour drive... for an 0830 start. Hmmm.

Anyway, cars were inspected, forms signed, lectures were listened to, instructors were followed around the racing line, and many instructions were taken from about 7 different instructors in the passenger seat. At luch, I was taken out of the L1 class (for the newbies) and happily rebadged as an L2, so I now qualify for all the club events including open pit lane events going forward.

It is handy to be L2 as you are allowed to overtake the L1s on the main straight (provided they indicate left). Discipline is strict. One poor girl (who really was very nice and a perfectly fine beginner in a '92 911 manual) got lapped by me three times in the final session ... and she was graceful enough to apologize for getting in the way.

We had about 30 cars including a 944, a 9971 Turbo (remapped of course), a 996 GT3 (caged), a 991 Turbo S, a Cayman R, a GT4 and a 991 GT3 with ceramics on German plates.... lovely. Only a few classics, but no 993s. Sadly.

An excellent day. Quite long though as I was at the track from 0830-1730... and I had to stop for fuel both ways (30l/100km at the track).

Attachments

• fb_img_1526808767520_148.jpg
    fb_img_1526808767520_148.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 5,187
Nice work.....everything but the 3.5hr drive of course. Good on her for having a crack. Maybe next next time you'll only lap her twice. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back