Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 rear light conversion

Also - if I understand the sequence of events correctly from your first post, it sounds like you latterly have copied the old data from the old control unit into the new one - surely this then will have reverted back to the non LED light setting and then you removed the tab from the connector to ensure it seated properly???

Hi Monster and thanks Phil for prompting monster.
So the series of events went as described, but I will add some things; initially when they tried to code the new rear module they didn't copy the settings from the old one, it was a case of it's a 997, coupe, with an alarm etc, originally the unit was from a Cayman.
It was only after they spoke with someone else that they found out that they need to copy over all the settings, so that's when they swapped the units around, did something in PIWIS, put the old unit back in and said they copied all the settings over. I don't know if you can copy/paste settings, I thought they would have done them one by one in the menu, but hey what do I know!
They selected LED from the drop down menu.
I have no idea if they did the handover thing.
But they said it looks like a problem with the front indicators now, which are LED, however, they were working perfectly before the conversion.
As for the horn, I've checked everything and everything is closed, I even put my phone to record in the glove box to ensure that the light was switching off when I closed it.
I personally think the horn beep is linked to the rear module that was changed, correct me if I'm wrong isn't it linked to the alarm in some way?
Thanks
Nik

These are the Part numbers for the later control units you need, do they match the ones you have used?

Front LED control unit 997 618 512 01

Rear LED control unit 997 618 260 08

When we set mine up within PIWIS, we didn't copy in the settings from the old unit, we just went through the options on the new unit and set it accordingly.

A vehicle handover at the end of reprogramming is key.

If you have the correct control units now in the car, I am pretty confident it is down to the programming - and that may well cure the beep, I would certainly leave the beep until you've solved the flashing issue first just in case they are linked!

Thanks for the reply Monster,
I fitted the Rear unit 997 618 260 08 / old unit was 997 618 260 04 IIRC,
I haven't changed the front unit as the leds up front had a plug and play module & were working perfectly fine before I updated the rear unit.
I'll get it into my friendly OPC and see what they come up with.
Cheers
Nik

this is awesome, tim + nick, the gang is all here. i am indebted to tim, as he was a huge help for my conversion as well.

nick, i am almost positive that your rear module final setting may still be set as incandescent and not LED. i think during the handover and settings copying the the module may have been reset.

to those that are doing the conversion, depending upon the year of your car (i think this applies for 2005) your rear light male plug is a tad too long and the 2009+ taillight even when plugged in will not have the electrical contacts connect. either the plastic tabbing needs to be shaved or the rear tailight female coupler needs to be shaved down a few mm. i had the exact same issue as nick when i was supervising my conversion, and thought my lights were damaged until i had the body shop doing some shaving and it worked.

ps nick, you car looks great - you need a full interior + exterior photoshoot done when its all sorted.

obviously i love the 997.2 clears + conversion.

80-unknown_1_8f248150155ce9edaa1961f9389d9b7ca5fb5d38.jpeg

monster said:
Hi Nik, Phil has just prompted me lol! - Ive just read through your thread - What you've done to car looks very nice!

I must admit, as others have said I am not sure the horn beep is linked to the light conversion, that is usually associated with frunk or glovebox etc not being shut properly check even your arm rest cover is shut as I think that can trigger it too...

Regarding the indicators blinking fast - I really think this is associated with either the rear control unit or the settings you have selected within PIWIS. You need to ensure you have the correct control unit which it looks like you have done, and then ensure you have selected all the correct associated options within PIWIS, in particular telling the car via the PIWIS option that it is now running LED lights.

You may find that the beep goes away when you have all the PIWIS settings correct although I am not convinced that it is linked...

I know you have tried programming it already, but I am pretty sure that is where the issue with the rapid flashing lies, so get it hooked up again to PIWIS before you try anything else - also it is very important to do a 'vehicle handover' within PIWIS at the end of the programming session as well, in fact this could be the issue have you not done that!

Let us know how you get on!

Good luck with it :thumb:

myw said:
this is awesome, tim + nick, the gang is all here. i am indebted to tim, as he was a huge help for my conversion as well.

Hi Michael - Hope your well mate.

Your car is looking stunning! :thumb:

Hey Michael,
Thanks, your car was the inspiration for me to do mine! And your car does look stunning :thumbs:
I'm hoping that it will be a case of just doing the handover and I wont have the annoying fast indicator noise inside the car anymore.
I will update once I get it into the OPC

myw said:

nick, i am almost positive that your rear module final setting may still be set as incandescent and not LED. i think during the handover and settings copying the the module may have been reset.

to those that are doing the conversion, depending upon the year of your car (i think this applies for 2005) your rear light male plug is a tad too long and the 2009+ taillight even when plugged in will not have the electrical contacts connect. either the plastic tabbing needs to be shaved or the rear tailight female coupler needs to be shaved down a few mm. i had the exact same issue as nick when i was supervising my conversion, and thought my lights were damaged until i had the body shop doing some shaving and it worked.

ps nick, you car looks great - you need a full interior + exterior photoshoot done when its all sorted.

obviously i love the 997.2 clears + conversion.

80-unknown_1_8f248150155ce9edaa1961f9389d9b7ca5fb5d38.jpeg

Slightly off subject but Michael might know , I am not on the hunt for a set of clear rears for my gen2 , I have seen a set but is says US spec and that they wont be uk legal does this mean there is no amber indicator and that it flashes red instead. thought I should ask before throwing away money :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Slightly off subject but Michael might know , I am not on the hunt for a set of clear rears for my gen2 , I have seen a set but is says US spec and that they wont be uk legal does this mean there is no amber indicator and that it flashes red instead. thought I should ask before throwing away money :grin: :thumb:

while i am not 100% sure re the differences between uk + na road legal dot requirements, but i can tell you that there is no amber at all on my clear tail tails or any that i have seen anywhere in north america + canada - so chances are you are 100% correct.

myw said:
Phil 997 said:

while i am not 100% sure re the differences between uk + na road legal dot requirements, but i can tell you that there is no amber at all on my clear tail tails or any that i have seen anywhere in north america + canada - so chances are you are 100% correct.

Thanks Michael, that info saves me some stress :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Guy a

Sorry to revive this thread..
I have a 2009 GT2 and have done the rear conversion.
I assume I have the needed modules as it is 2009.
I've shaved the connector , connected everything flawlessly and coded all modules to LED with Durametric Pro.
Turn the key to position 1 , test everything : everything works great except I have rapid flashing signals on the cluster... I can live with it.
I start the engine ... rear turn signals start to flick and then shuts off.....
I tried to connect FVD modules : these removed the hyper flashing light on the cluster but still no turn signal when engine is running..... I even tried the pin swapping ( I should not need it ... ) when it only gets worse ( sometimes no light at all depending on the pins )

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated... can't wait to get my beat out of the garage for the summer....

3nder,
As yours is a 09 it should have been a case of plug and play as you already have the rear OEM LED lights!
Really you wouldn't have needed to code them.
Put your old lights back in and see what happens, maybe you coded them wrong.
I still haven't had the time to visit my OPC to get them sorted!

3nder said:
Hi Guy a

Sorry to revive this thread..
I have a 2009 GT2 and have done the rear conversion.
I assume I have the needed modules as it is 2009.
I've shaved the connector , connected everything flawlessly and coded all modules to LED with Durametric Pro.
Turn the key to position 1 , test everything : everything works great except I have rapid flashing signals on the cluster... I can live with it.
I start the engine ... rear turn signals start to flick and then shuts off.....
I tried to connect FVD modules : these removed the hyper flashing light on the cluster but still no turn signal when engine is running..... I even tried the pin swapping ( I should not need it ... ) when it only gets worse ( sometimes no light at all depending on the pins )

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated... can't wait to get my beat out of the garage for the summer....

Mezgerite said:
GT2's are all GEN 1, i.e. non LED
Or Gen 1.5. Externally the same but the later cars carry PCM 3.0 vs the older type....
Yes yes I'm removing the sandals, socks and annorak immediately

Hi Nikos, can't help you with your problem I'm afraid, hope you get it sorted!

I am really interested in the K&N filter setup, like you I fitted a turbo wing/decklid to my car. I bought an Agency Power dual cone filter with the carbon air box, it was second hand but never used (awful quality by the way if anyone ever considers one, don't). The engine really struggled to cope with this setup, the ECU compensated as best it could but it would run very rough below 3000 revs, a huge flatspot at 2500 and I was getting CELs and all sorts of fault codes. In the end I took the wing off and went back to stock.

Interested how you got on with the K&N set up, any running issues, fault codes etc?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back