Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£80,000 BMW M4 Comp vs my poor little 997.1

Boba fett said:
Think the M3 V8 was the swan song..The vert was the perfect allround car!!

Agree. Lots to like V8 once the brakes are sorted. A performance car bargain ATM.

JonnyBaddeley said:
Boba fett said:

Agree. Lots to like V8 once the brakes are sorted. A performance car bargain ATM.

Agree the engine with the exhaust sorted is quite something. Love it.

FZP said:
I keep suggesting to the Dragon that it would be a suitable next car.... :grin:

Dragon :wizard:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

My car buying history was very much all about BMW until about three years ago. My first proper car was a 320i Coupe back in 1994 and owned probably 10 BMW's including both an E36 and E46 M3 from new.

About 2 1/2 years ago I decided having moved out of London I wanted something fun to drive so my immediate though turned to BMW and went to me local dealer and test drove an M3. I just fel tthe whole car was "trying too hard" and didn't think it was a great car to be honest. I think BMW have lost their way a little....M cars used to be head and shoulders above the competition and no longer are.

Having discounted the M4 I started looking at Porsche and after a couple of months a manual 997 GTS came up for sale. Put a holding deposit down without even driving it because they were selling so quickly at the time...drove it 2 days later and knew within 500 yards it was the car. All the controls just felt so right...especially the steering and manual box. Overall it's such a great car for B roads and country lanes. Plenty powerful enough and the chassis just feels just the right side of "sporty" without being ridiculous which was the big issue with the M4 for me.

Been quite a journey since....GT3 has hopefully just finished build at the factory :)

My DD is now a 435d. Hardly an M car but what a stonking oil burner it is :worship:
Weekend blast in my C2S is always special.

Boba fett said:

You need a bigger garage Mr Fett judging by the photo ! :thumb: Very nice collection. :)

Funnily enough the V8 M3 was the car I came closest to buying before having a stern word with myself. I quite like the smaller 2 coupe, but there's such a difference between the natural ride and handling of a sports car and a saloon car or coupe.

MaxA said:
Funnily enough the V8 M3 was the car I came closest to buying before having a stern word with myself. I quite like the smaller 2 coupe, but there's such a difference between the natural ride and handling of a sports car and a saloon car or coupe.

I had a V8 M3 before the 911 (and after a Maserati Gransport) so totally agree with that last bit. The Porsche feels like bespoke sports car. the M3, or M4 for that matter, feel like a tuned/improved BMW Coupe. very different feel.

Mini-Me said:
My DD is now a 435d. Hardly an M car but what a stonking oil burner it is :worship:

Nearly bought a 435d sport a while back but due to body roll etc went for am M4 Competition Pack.

The 997.1 S must feel slow compared with the 435d?

b9boy said:
Had a fantastic day today in the glorious sunshine.

I write some freelance copy for BMW CAR magazine and today tested an E92 M3 V8 Competition Pack car against a brand new M4 Competition Pack complete with carbon brakes and plenty of extras.

As an ex- E92 CP owner I have a soft spot for them (as Boba fett will no doubt understand) but putting my personal preference aside they are such good cars.

We got some great shots, had some laughs and some fun and I look forward to putting the words together.

Anyway after the BMW Press Car departed I jumped immediately into my 997 for a fresh comparison and OMG, it just felt amazing. Such an analogue car compared to the digital M4. Steering feel, brakes, engine, gearbox- all just so much better resolved!!

Only 325bhp versus 444 but the Porsche just makes such good use of what it has.

I covered the same roads for a direct comparison butreally the two cars are poles apart.

My Mrs met me on the drive when I returned and asked "well??".

My reply was "if the M4 is worth £80K then my 997 is worth half a million quid".

I am 100% genuinely surprised at the outcome but suppose it's just goes to show I am an analogue car kind of guy?

Having owned a 997.1 C2S and an M4 Competition Pack I am a little surprised by that fact that you were underwhelmed by the M4. Apart from the rear suspension being underdamped on the M4 and not being as fluid as the 911 through a set of bends, the Performance difference is night and day.

Anyhow great news that your still in love with the 911.

Bikeracer1098 said:
Mini-Me said:

Nearly bought a 435d sport a while back but due to body roll etc went for am M4 Competition Pack.

The 997.1 S must feel slow compared with the 435d?
I'd love an M3/M4 but given the number of miles I cover the DD needed to be a bit more fuel efficient.
I have ACS springs fitted to my 435d which massively improved ride and body roll. That combined with non run flat Michelins and it's a very nice motor. I wouldn't say it makes the C2S feel slow, different experience all together, but the torque is pretty epic on the BM. Love driving it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back