Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Great thread.

I replaced my indicator stalk (x4 oem block for £224) using a similar thread somewhere else. It's fun to be involved with your car and have a project on the go but it can be intimidating and costly without clear instructions and help.

People like you sharing information and experience like this are just cool.

Subscribed!

BK
:thumb:

Attachments

• img_6092_254.jpg
    img_6092_254.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,851
I got the hot air gun out at the weekend and had a go at heating up the scuttle plastic. It worked out pretty well. It has been transformed from a light grey to a much better looking colour. It isn't 100% uniform over the surface but it looks massively better than before:

This was done with the hot air gun set to 240 degrees and moved carefully over the surface watching for the colour change. You really have to concentrate on this one.

MC

Another minor update, the car still isn't on the ramp so work is limited, hopefully things will pick up soon.

A while ago I picked up a cup steering wheel and quick release boss from a fellow forum member. Unfortunately for me it had a 997 boss on it. The splines for the steering wheel are a different size on the 997. After much research I found that VW make an adapter for this, so I bought one.

It fits, but the layout of the parts for the airbag connections and indicator cancelling are also different, so that is no use. Instead I had find a 996 boss. The one on the steering wheel was a Works Boss part, I couldn't find one at a decent price anywhere. I did however find that NRG in the US make one, I got one in a sale for $99, bargain. Here it is with half of the quick release.

With the original wheel off, the airbag connector was cut off and a 3.3 ohm resistor fitted in its place, as the new wheel has no airbag.

The new boss is then fitted to the steering column and bolted up.

All bolted up ready for the wheel.

And with the wheel fitted.

The new boss is slightly shorter than the Works Boss one, which make it not far off perfect for the indicator stalks. I must say the Works Boss quick release is absolutely fantastic, the wheel is put on at any angle and then rotated until it locks, much easier than the one I have on my Westfield which needs lining up properly.

I will probably get the wheel retrimmed at some point along with the gear lever and handbrake lever.

The NRG boss looks like a really good piece of kit, very nicely made and finished, perfect for what I needed.

MC

Some other goodies arrived with the steering boss.

Very pleased with them, they don't look like they have ever been on a car.

MC

X51 intake distributor? Are these the ones for sale on eBay in the US then? They had the intake manifolds attached though, and I can't see these on your pictures? From what I understand from looking at the parts catalogue, the intake distributor and the manifolds were unique to the X51 package, but the plenum is the same as the standard car.

Deroure list the manifolds at c£76.53+VAT each just in case you need them:

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2535&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=996110983&SC=1

I am enjoying sharing your journey with your car! :worship:

Fastlane said:
X51 intake distributor? Are these the ones for sale on eBay in the US then? They had the intake manifolds attached though, and I can't see these on your pictures? From what I understand from looking at the parts catalogue, the intake distributor and the manifolds were unique to the X51 package, but the plenum is the same as the standard car.

Deroure list the manifolds at c£76.53+VAT each just in case you need them:

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2535&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=996110983&SC=1

I am enjoying sharing your journey with your car! :worship:

Yes they are the ones from the US, I have the manifolds as well they just weren't in the picture. Glad you are enjoying it, I just want the pace to pick up a bit. Hopefully things will start to move on in a week or so.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Yes they are the ones from the US, I have the manifolds as well they just weren't in the picture. Glad you are enjoying it, I just want the pace to pick up a bit. Hopefully things will start to move on in a week or so.

MC

Good stuff. What sort of bhp/lbft benefit do you think they will give? Are you planning on some other complimentary upgrades to make the most of them?

Fastlane said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Good stuff. What sort of bhp/lbft benefit do you think they will give? Are you planning on some other complimentary upgrades to make the most of them?

The plan is definately for other mods, but not sure on the extent yet. Still mainly collecting parts at the moment.

MC

I really need to catch up on this thread! :pc:

Nice work MC :thumb:

PS, if your selling your old 3 spoke wheel and airbag. I`ll take them off you :grin:

Great work Martin. Terrific. The 996 really is the new 964. So great to see such a wide variety of experimentation on them all over the place. And this piece is among the more fascinating ones :thumbs:

Finally something to report. I got the car up on the ramp, removed all four wheels. I then removed the wheelwell liners, front and rear bumpers and one of the side skirts. The only thing which wasn't 100% straightforward was the side skirts as I could find little information. There is a screw at the front and the back, a bunch of screws underneath and the super strong foam tape along the top edge. I removed this by the skirt out and getting a scalpel in to remove it.

I then removed the rear sill covers to try to look inside. There is some evidence of rust but not terrible, this will all be given a good coat of waxoyl at the very least.

Exhaust covers were removed. At some point this was fitted with PSE, the actuator was flapping around on one side, neither valve worked, and both silencers were blowing. I have a spare pair of standard ones which can go on if needed.

Moving to the front I removed the air ducts for the radiators, as usual there was a fair amount of leaves and muck in there.

Both condensers look bad, one was definately leaking. These will both be replaced. I knew that there was no gas in the aircon so I'm not at all suprised. Both condensers removed, the nearside radiator didn't look too bad for rubbish but this is what the offside looked like.

WARNING. IF YOU DON'T HAVE MESH IN FRONT OF YOUR RADIATORS LOOK AWAY NOW.....

Needless to say both radiators will be changed and mesh will be fitted. The brackets might be salvagable, I'll see when I get them off. I will also test the resistors.

The brakes look good with almost new disks and pads all round. These will be coming off but I'll probably put them on one side for my C2.

I also picked up a secondhand Safety Devices roll cage. I am undecided as to whether or not to go with the matching front part. I went for this over the Tequipment because it looks to be a much better design, picking up on the rear strut towers rather than just on seatbelt mounting points, and it is massively cheaper. Win-win situation :)

MC

BK911 said:
Great thread.

I replaced my indicator stalk (x4 oem block for £224) using a similar thread somewhere else. It's fun to be involved with your car and have a project on the go but it can be intimidating and costly without clear instructions and help.

People like you sharing information and experience like this are just cool.

Subscribed!

BK
:thumb:

Nice project!

I have a few repair kits for these that allow you to just replace that little plastic part that breaks rather than the whole unit! It seems pretty wasteful to replace the whole thing doesn't it?!

Keep up the good work!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back