Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Odd fixing rusting? What is it?

H0ME

Trainee
Can anyone tell me what this is rusting away behind the front right hand corner? Don't seem to be able to get close enough to work out what it is. It's in a 96 C2 Coupe. How do I replace it!?

Attachments

• 2cc1d856_5c90_4bdf_8e3b_1c4e505be59c_705.jpeg
    2cc1d856_5c90_4bdf_8e3b_1c4e505be59c_705.jpeg
    760.5 KB · Views: 3,485
Difficult to see but the external temp sensor bracket is in that location. Remove wheel arch liner and rh front valance but very carefully the retaining clips are fragile. I retrofitted OBC on mine and the bracket and wiring harness were already there.

Any guides out there in how to get the front valance off? I've got the wheel liners off but nothing to see - other than the air/con unit which is rusting away so I assume it's part of that?

This is the link I used to remove my front PU. If you do it make sure you replace the A/C and oil cooler resistors.

http://p-car.com/diy/bumper/

It's not a difficult DIY you just need to go slowly. Putting it back and getting the rubber seal right is the challenge.

ATB :)

The low speed fan for the a/c has a ceramic resistor , this has a bolt going through it which turns it a rusty colour .. ive a feeling this is part of that ceramic resistor .

The low speed a/c fan wont work but if it doesnt work any way then you cant really test it .

You should be able to see the resistor if you remove the headlamp bowl it's quite possible that it is a lump of that. I replaced the a/c rad and had the frame powder coated this year, not too difficult but the water reservoir had already been removed for the RS one which made the job a lot easier. The mounting rubbers will be shot most likely too.

I'm not going to take the front PU off until the winter so thought I might try and spray it black through the grill?? It's quite obvious(white) through there so it's strange nobody else has similar. Here is a better photo.

No access to it via the wheel arch.

Attachments

• a3fdab10_f9e9_4b34_bea8_d64c6860b51f_188.jpeg
    a3fdab10_f9e9_4b34_bea8_d64c6860b51f_188.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,940
Yes it's the bracket for the external temp sensor which is/was rivited to the ali bumper.

Attachments

• 993_505_725_01_copy_copy_634.jpg
    993_505_725_01_copy_copy_634.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,745
thanks Endoman, looks like that is indeed it. I also found this which has some good photos of the sensor location.

http://p-car.com/diy/obc/

so will attempt to sort it out via the front fog light. My car has OBC so I'm expecting to see 2 sensors on the bracket?

Depends, on mine the climate control temp sensor wasn't there only the holes for the bracket I did the OBC retro per that article with slight modifications.I had to fit the bracket, the wiring loom was present for the OBC . I think the ccu external temp sensor was in the mirror it's a '94 car so probably relocated on later cars, not sure it was a long time ago.
The bracket is rivetted to the ali bumper you'll have a job doing that through the fog light hole. I took the PU front bumper off completely.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back