Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa roof cable replacement

deMort

This is aimed at garages thinking of doing this job and more for future searches than for anyone to comment on now .

If you havent done one then speak to someone that has .. hell pm me if you want and ill tell you what to do .

Sooo .. ill explain ..

I had to pull a roof out of a gen 2 997 today due to a water leak issue .. car has had cable replacement and new motors fitted 2 years ago .

Point one .. you DONT silicone the frame seal .. theres a reason its so expensive .. it doesnt need any help sealing .

If you remove a fixing then REPLACE it , i dont care if its hard .. refit the dam thing .

The whole system DOES NOT NEED GREASING .. it will be slow , thats normal .

Ive just spent 3 hours degreaseing the frame and im haveing to fit new cables but my biggest bug bear .. the grease has collected dirt ..

This turns into grinding paste FFS .. the frame is badly worn , the roof mechanism plastic guides have had it .. the newest roof i have every taken out and its in the worst condition .

Customer has a huge bill coming on a job that should only ever be done once in a Targas life .

There are instructions out there , if you need them then ask me ..

Never ever bury the whole lot in axle grease !!!

Ohh and yes .. you need to seal the cables were they enter the frame .. or it WILL LEAK FFS !!

Rant over .

HI,,

I need mine checking over, its not been used and has slowed down. 2007 997. Need a service too!

I must apologize for this post .. it was aimed at garages attempting to repair these without the knowledge to do so .

I was rather frustrated at haveing to redo what another garage had so poorly done when a little bit of googleing would have lead them to me and i could have explained it to them .. instead of what i found on roof removal and what i had to replace .

Anyways .. ive pmed you with a couple of garages i can recomend to work on these depending on where abouts you are in the country .

Hello from France + questions

Hello from Paris, France! My name is Fred, 45. I am currently owning a RHD 996 Targa that I bought 5 years ago in UK and a new toy : a 997 MK2 Convertible.

First of all, sorry for my English, I'll do my best to be understood. Also, I hope that this topic is the good one...

I've been having some issues with my Targa roof since I've bought my 996. The left side isn't working properly. At the beginning I only had to help the roof sliding with my hands and it was OK but now, it is almost impossible to close it tight.

I've thought it could be because of the left motor so I found a spare one and replaced it, which is quite easy.

dsc05012.jpg

dsc05013.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't change anything. I can hear both motor but it doesn't solve my problem.

Knowing the motor is not in cause, I've made the "rail slides" checked by a (not that clean) mechanic, in order to see if it's twisted or something like that :

img_2025.jpg

It seems to be clear; the mechanic told me he was thinking the issue was because of the left roof cable.

I've asked a Porsche center around Paris what they think about it. The cable (reference 996.562.315.00 if I'm right) is cheap, but they told the whole frame need to be removed in order to replace this cable!

Any idea if it is true?

I am plannig to sell this car (which is on French plate, but used to be UK registered when I bought it) and I am sure that it would be sold more easily with a working roof :D

Thanks by advance for your answers!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back