Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.9 Engine Build

Nice one Harv. Great work. Need to get your thoughts on the engine balance and light weight flywheel.....? Have fun running her in

Thanks

Happy to answer any questions.

The engine balance is superb and was worth every penny, there's no harshness or vibration inside even with 964 rs mounts and gearbox poly inserts.

I like the flexibility the LWFW has given the motor and the rpm picks up really quickly and I think this has contributed to making the car feel lighter and more nimble. Because I have a slightly higher idle when warm it's masking the noise the sprung clutch disc can make but even that I'm happy to live with as a trade off and for me it adds more character to the car.

Absolutely speechless :worship:

Harv if I can ask did you have painted exhaust with VHT? I will have to remove boxes and do some welding both leaking my plan is to repair it and paint I have PSE and I would like to keep it.

I was looking on this paint:
http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-flameproof-coating

Congratulation on success with this amazing project!!!

Outstanding and mad skillz. :thumbs:

I have enjoyed the thread from start to finish.

Fantastic thread, I remain in awe. And there was me feeling smug having recently learned to change the discs and pads and a few other straightforward bits :oops:

Interesting what you say about the engine being a jewel to work on, though I suspect a rebuild a bit beyond me at present! Maybe one day...

A really stupid question- clearly you are experienced, but how did you know how to take it to bits/put it together... did you follow a workshop manual?

Thanks Harv for feedback on the flywheel.

It's something I'm considering on my build, but still ultimately unsure....

Cheers

Small update:

Have been using the car daily and it's been generally well behaved, oil changed twice and I've now covered 3.5k, no oil use or leaks.

Starter motor has been getting very lazy especially from a warm start and then on Saturday click, click and nothing, the cables and grounds were checked and cleaned with the engine out so next job is to remove the starter motor and investigate its internal condition, maybe just carbon build up, brushes or casing corrosion.

Other jobs to do (I should merge this and my old running thread) are:

1. 200cell cats
2. Fit the cayenne front calliper conversion and 350mm turbo discs
3. Replace the airbag module (can't be rest)
4. Replace the heater control LCD (gone opaque in one counter)
5. Needs new rear tyres

Harv,

How do you find the TTV flywheel? Any issues?

Which clutch did you go with?

I think I am going to go down this route, there is a heap of scaremongering around the crankshaft, however haven spoken to several highly regarded indys, they all see nothing but benefits.

Hi Crash7

No issues with the TTV lightweight flywheel, car doesn't stall at idle and no more waiting for the revs to build up. There's a little more mechanical noise at idle when warm as the unit chatters but it's a small trade off.

You will need a sprung friction disc (oem is solid), I think D911 sell them but mine came from techniclutch who have bad reviews online but I never had an issue and I think it was a Sachs one that turned up so matched my cover plate.

Unless you are rebuilding ur engine you'll not have the luxury of balancing it to the crank and pulley, but you could have it checked and imporoved on out of the box.

:thumb:

Harv

Many thanks! :thumb:

Its the Sachs sprung I was looking at.

Did you replace your pressure plate? If so with the standard item or the Sachs performance (Which is double in price!)

Mine will be installed as part of a rebuild so will follow your lead and get everything balanced while the crankshaft is accessible.

Great thread! I've just started a 3.4 rebuild thinking about 3.7 conversion!
Have you dynod the 3.9 yet? Interesting to see power/torque figures!

Deck Height / Clearance

I tried to PM Harv, but do not know if the PM actually left as they show up in my outbox rather that sentbox.

Anyhow,

I have followed your thread on the 3.9 Engine Build and as I will face the same thing and have some questions if you allow.

I have been trying to find information on the deck height / clearance, but have not had too much luck in it.
From your thread I found some info, but if there is more info you can share, that would help on my list of things to check.

Basically I am looking for the minimum squish / piston to head clearance value to be able to check everyting is ok while building.

My engine is the 3.6L M96.03 and the plan is to have 3.9 Nicasil cylinders with Capricorn 100mm pistons.
I see, that you used Wossner pistons in your build.

In your thread the gasket thickness of 0.7mm was mentioned. From Elring the 997 head gasket is marked as 0.6mm when compressed.

How did you find that your CR calculations worked with the 0.7mm value?

Also did you change to bigger injectors? Some US discussions mention the use of 3.8 997 injectors in 3.6 -> 3.8 upgrade.

BR,
Piethein

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back