Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

I've not updated this for a while, but a few things over the last few months:

- Powder coated wiper arms to remove stone chips. New wiper arm caps, washers and nuts.
- Original steering wheel re-trimmed and refitted
- New front PU ventilation grill and front PU piping L & R
- Front PU respray to remove stone chips
- New ABS/ABD relays (x2 original NOS Bosch found) as warning lights would occasionally stick on. Problem solved
- New standard gear shift lever
- New headlight lenses
- Tore's HID conversion to replace an older HID conversion kit
- New toe arms and control arms
- New tappets supplied and fitted. Engine much quieter
- Full geo
- 48k service including transmission oil and fuel filter
- New a/c compressor brackets as the old ones were looking tatty
- Chassis legs attended to, to remove corrosion. Freshly painted and covered now in Bilt Hamber Dynax
- Just bought an original leather airbag which is soon to go for recolouring to black and will replace the vinyl one
- Removed the tachometer last night to investigate the reason for OBC not illuminating. Bulb blown but will do the transistor change whilst it's out

It's like painting the Golden Gate bridge.

☝️☝️☝️
That is a classic example of what marks out a really well maintained 993.

Possibly not all strictly necessary but it's the kind of thing I'd be looking for if I were looking for a 993 today.

Top marks that man 🙂

Don't flame me I bought a universal diffuser of ebay just for a laugh. I've not gone Chavy at my age but it's just an experiment. The 993 with aerokit still feels unstable in side winds whereas the 944 is rock solid. I intend to spend my semi-retirement years in our new house (4 car garage, workshop and cellar) playing and doing what I've always enjoyed.

Endoman said:
Don't flame me I bought a universal diffuser of ebay just for a laugh. I've not gone Chavy at my age but it's just an experiment. The 993 with aerokit still feels unstable in side winds whereas the 944 is rock solid. I intend to spend my semi-retirement years in our new house (4 car garage, workshop and cellar) playing and doing what I've always enjoyed.

All old, light 911s move around in crosswinds. Diffuser will do f all as you already know! Have fun tho

Great service from Didi. Posted old Dizzy Tuesday, recieved, fixed and posted back today, Wednesday.
New belt, bearings and hall sensor tested.

Attachments

• broken_belt_111.jpg
    broken_belt_111.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 4,261
  • old_hardened_grease_156.jpg
    old_hardened_grease_156.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4,255
The dizzy is back in the 964 it came out of and fired up straight away. Exhaust blowing badly so up on the lift to find a large hole in the exhaust just after the cat. Blocked cat producing a high enough temperature to burn a 2" hole in the exhaust he was lucky the whole car didn't go up.
Kev also had a 993 turbo in that had had two service stamps in 19yrs.

RS single mass flywheel Clutch conversion

And a Wavetrak LSD

:bandit:

Via Design911.co.uk

.... was the dizzy properly installed ??? - there are 2 positions on ignition timing 1 - the wrong setting pops extremely badly!!

a question for endoman .my car has now doneabout 72,000 miles came from north Carolina about 8 years ago .probably garage kept the whole time. should I be thinking about the dizzy belt .it seems quite a job getting to it to send away for an amerter

The exhaust damage to the 964 was present before the distributor was replaced, so don't worry Didi it was put back correctly. Kev was amazed it came back so quickly. It is a '93 car but was not fitted with the breather pipe as all 993s are. General feeling is check/replace belt @ 100k.
Great service and vfm from Didi and DHL.
I'll be sending mine off soon as it's just topped 170k. I did get the bearings and belt from Didi to do myself but I'll take the time to do the l/h plug and lead change, redo the lower cam gaskets and let an expert do it.
The new garage needs a bit of sorting first. It has an asbestos roof which i will seal rather than replace as the quotes were horrendous, isulation , heating and lighting need improving and I want to put a lift in. Fortunately the cows moved out many years ago.

Hi Johne, ask endoman he has all the information from me - I can also renew your dizzy - Bearings, Belt etc !!
or contact [email protected]
in a few days everything is ok again !

Grüsse,
Diddi

would I be able to get the distributer out my self to send to you .ill probably do it at the end of the summer

Removal of the distributor can sometimes be difficult and you need to be sure it goes back in the same place.
Remove the caps and mark, photo the position of the rotor arms. Remove the securing bolt and ease out the distributor. They can be tight, an impact puller with a strap around the distributor may be needed. the rotors will move about 30 degrees so mark that position with a different colour and photo again. You could set the engine to tdc first but it's not really neccessary. Do not under any circumstances rotate the engine once the dizzies are out.
When refitting align rotors with the 2nd mark, lubricate the rubber ring and slide the dizzy back in the rotors should align with the first mark, if not do it again do not start the engine if marks do not line up.
There are several good write ups on the procedure this is one:-
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...-Distributor_Removal_and_Belt_Replacement.htm
and another with links:-
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/201997-distributor-belt-replacement-thread-collection.html

911UK said:
RS single mass flywheel Clutch conversion

And a Wavetrak LSD

:bandit:

Via Design911.co.uk

How did the decision tree look for going Wavetrak vs OEM plate LSD? :?:

...... just completely overhauled, everything OK again - good ride! - one for the 993 and the other comes in the 964s!

Attachments

• dzv_1_101.jpg
    dzv_1_101.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 4,944

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back