Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

nickjonesn4 said:

I had the first set of these in the UK!
I used the fast road inserts.
Really sharpened the car up, my C4 ones were shot.
It was during a back end strip down.
I also fit the strengthening engine carrier.

The first pair I got sent weren't threaded far enough up.
They replaced them quickly with a new set.

I figured it was three mounts for the price of one as the kit was supplied with 3X settings and hopefully inserts are available down the line as an extra.

Recently had mine in for Service and MOT, always seems to be something extra to do....this time a hole in the silencer.

However thanks to Precision the new Dansk sports sound marvellous :D

Just come back from a very wet trip to Southbound, for them to remove rear seats for re-trimming in leather. Will go and collect again when ready, lets hope the weather is better to enjoy the drive 8)

Tyre pressures checked and just bought mine a full tank of super plus and been for a hoon in the sunshine... Great to have the car out again after it's winter hibernation. :thumb:

Any recommendations for a caliper refurb. Paint is looking dull and i'm sure they would benefit from new seals etc.

C.

Thomas at Pro-calipers will strip reseal and powder coat.
he has done loads of sets for me and has two with him now.

Quick and easy to deal with as well.

Cost wise its not cheap now, but the finish and standard excellent.

cableguy said:
Tyre pressures checked and just bought mine a full tank of super plus and been for a hoon in the sunshine... Great to have the car out again after it's winter hibernation. :thumb:

Any recommendations for a caliper refurb. Paint is looking dull and i'm sure they would benefit from new seals etc.

C.

These guys seem to be offering some good deals. No affiliation.

https://www.bcs-automotive.co.uk

ATB :)

993Type said:
nickjonesn4 said:

I figured it was three mounts for the price of one as the kit was supplied with 3X settings and hopefully inserts are available down the line as an extra.

Thanks, looking forward to having them fitted. What engine carrier did you buy?

A set of Michelin PS4s from TyreLeader.

Early indications are a smoother ride and an end to the brake shudder experienced with the (very old) Pirelli's.

The fitter really struggled to remove the fronts as they had hardened considerably with age.

Thanks to all those who responded to my posts during the decision stage!

New door handle seals.

Handle had to come off anyway to fix the lock mechanism (for fix, read lube) so thought the 20yr old rubber could do with a refresh.

nickjonesn4 said:
993Type said:
nickjonesn4 said:

Thanks, looking forward to having them fitted. What engine carrier did you buy?

Hi, it was the Rennline kit from design 911.
Local welder charged £20 to weld up.
Engine was held on axle stands while the work was done, wasn't an engine out job but was an advanced strip down to address rear chassis legs. Engine seems more planted, believe the strengthening is recommended if you firm up the mounts.

^^ to clarify, the rennline kit is a gusset that you weld over your own carrier.
When completed, spray satin black and turns the single truss into a box cross member with added strength at each end where the mount holes are.
My engine was flexing about due to the shot mounts but once those and the carrier were addressed it feels a lot more solid. One point on the mounts, make sure the engine is lifted up against the carrier before tightening the mounts. It's easy to be convinced the mounts are nipped up before they are due to the weight of the engine. I also coated the whole lot in clear dinitrol wax but had to disassemble and clean as the lack of friction just made the insert spin when trying to tighten.

If you follow Jackal's walkthrough on fitting the strengthened engine support please be aware that the captive nuts for the cat support (as illustrated) are the wrong way round and fit the coils before fitting to the engine. On the old support you could see signs of flexing at either end near the engine mount blocks. I am now catless or Fabspeed cats so not a problem. It's a good time to do the chain cover gaskets and stud grommets, powder coat the heater pipe and rear engine tin.

Attachments

• rear_end_279.jpg
    rear_end_279.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 4,598
what did you buy your 993 this week

front control arm bushes, ebach pro sport springs new ps4,s on the rear and a set up from pete and chris of center of gravity . happy days

Oil change and filters, sump washer, brake fluid, gearbox oil, gear linkage bellows, fan belt, alternator belt, a/c belt, window switch, rear wheel bearings, handbrake shoe and a/c re-gas all after it passed the MOT. :D

Sent a dizzy off to Didi for rebuild from a 964, belt broken, possible holed piston not my car fortunately.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back