Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

loss of power has left psm light on

gilly358

good evening guys and hello this my first time on here , hopefully someone can help,can any one advise we lost power due to a faulty battery terminal and now the PSM light will not go out on the cluster display?? and fuel gauge will not reset and it reads low fuel but has at least 3/4 of a tank.(997 c4s cab.) :?:

Welcome Gilly,

To make friends here, you may wish to say hello and a little bit more about your Porsche ownership. I am sure suggestions will flood in once you have proved to be a nice chap

:thumb:

Have you driven it? I haven't had it but have widely read that it's normal and clears after some straight driving

hi there yes I have driven it but only for about 3miles we sat broken down for three hours and then the RAC came and touched the battery lead and the power came back but just a few problems left, I have managed to reset the power windows following a post on here but not seen anything else around my faults yet?

After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.
This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:
1. Start the engine.
2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.
3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.
Have the fault remedied.
4. After the warnings disappear:
Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.

hi there I will give this a try tomorrow thanks for the advice I will post back the outcome :thumbs:

gilly358 said:
hi there yes I have driven it but only for about 3miles we sat broken down for three hours and then the RAC came and touched the battery lead and the power came back but just a few problems left, I have managed to reset the power windows following a post on here but not seen anything else around my faults yet?

You may have just popped a fuse if the terminal contact was intermittent, you can get a surge when jiggling cables

Ok .. my 2 pennys worth ..

You had flat battery symptoms .. non start etc but the RAC didnt jump start it they just moved the Positive lead and the car then started ..

You have a problem with your power distributer pin .. link here all about it ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

This causes power issues which a lot of control units dont like .

A C4 has a saddle type fuel tank .. the last part of the fuel lvl is calculated .. it cant be read from the fuel lvl sender unit ..

I would surmise that this needs calibrateing .. it shouldnt but you get strange faults with a lack of power due to the corroded pin on the power box .

Again .. PSM light on is probably due to the steering angle sensor ..

Normally after a standard flat battery you will have this but a short drive over 6 mph will reset it .

My feeling is you will need to have a garage do a calibration routine on the steering angle sensor .

Your also going to need the work done in my link .

hi there sorry I have mis read the dash last night its the PASM that's not working I have checked the fuses all look good battery lead all sorted.

You need to get a tester on the car and check for fault codes .. the light is on so there will be a code relateing to the problem .

If you dont have a tester then an indy .. quick fault code read out and see what they say and post here .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back