Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interesting offer from my OPC ?

chaser said:
I am assuming they would dismantle the whole system, turbos included. The fitter did say they use a gas torch to get them red hot then undo them with grips of some sort. The tricky ones to get to look to be the top ones on the turbo and where the cat bolts to the turbo.

I also assume they would be replacing all the clamps too.

You need to ask them and confirm what is being done and what parts are replaced. You can imagine trying to DIY - access and corrosion are the two big issues. And of course equipment - gas welding to heat up stubborn nuts and bolts.

I'd not worry that they'll be replaced with same-again only to be corroded in the future. The fact is that its taken more than a couple of winters to reach this stage.

Marine grade parts that will resist corrosion better can be fitted by an Indy. No idea how much it adds to parts. And Indy will usually be an open-ended estimate as its a pig of a job that can go way over estimated time.

Its your choice at the end of the day.

I will ask my OPC if they will put my car up in the air and have a look.

My local one is Solihull and from my experience of them over a long time, as I do pop in a lot for coffee and natter is they are very good.

Each annual service at OPC Chester they show me the car on the ramp and highlight anything it needs and a price which I tell them to sort the additional items. I always ask about corrosion on exhaust and manifolds and their advice has always been nothing required but they have a file note to keep an eye and advise when they think.it should be done. They show me why replacing is not needed and if there is a car on the ramp they show me an example of when.it is needed and how bad they can get.

My experience is they have not up-sold me extra work. Only what is necessary that I have also seen with the car on the ramp.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back