Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drip under very heavy rain - roof of C2 coupe onto rear seat

tedzwedz

Hi All

As above when we had that torrential rain a week or so ago after easter I noticed my rear seat was a bit damp, looked up and there was a drip from the roof corner at the back.

Any ideas?

Best Edward
1998 C2 Coupe

There's your answer.

alex yates said:
There's your answer.

but why would it leak in the corner near the roof channel drains?

Would it not leak around the sunroof

Attachments

• 811_00_997_2005_08_no10_844.gif
    811_00_997_2005_08_no10_844.gif
    34 KB · Views: 2,827
Hi Edward

Have been fixing the same problem only this week in mine. I had a wet rear seat and a wet rear floor.

As per the earlier responses, your sunroof has a drainage channel at each corner.

The sunroof is designed to pass excess water through the roof and down these channels into plastic pipes which lead to outlets around the wheel areas.

In your case (like mine) there is a a pipe running from the corner of the rear of the sunroof, down roof (above the rear quarterlight window) and it ends at an outlet just above the rear wheel where it drains to.

To resolve is not hard but its pretty time consuming (and no doubt others will have more cunning methods to fix).

I took off the rear seat base, the parcel shelf and the rear side trim. There is lots of foam here that may be soaking so remove it and dry it out. Lift up as much carpet as you can and squeeze. Its amazing how much water there can be,

To fix the problem, pull the roof liner from its clips to reveal the outlet of the sunroof and where it attaches to the pipe. At other end, under all that foam in the far rear corner of the car you will see the outlet of the pipe with a 90 degree plug on it.

There can be a blockage anywhere through this route i.e. at the sunroof connection, the pipe or at the exit point from the car.

I removed the pipe and rodded it gently with some earth wire (making sure there were no exposed wire ends that could poke a hole). My pipe was clear.
I also rodded the sunroof corner in case it was there - again clear.

My problem was not blockage - it was that (a) the male spigot type connector on the sunroof had a hairline crack and was leaking and (b) the plastic tube was leaking on this also. Simply put - a leak from the top corner of the sunroof.

There is no spare part for this to my knowledge unless you wish to buy a new sunroof chassis, so glue and silicon it is.

I ran some glue along the cracked connector. Siliconed over once dry. Heated the plastic tube and reattached with silicon and cable ties. Perfect!

I also ran some vaseline around the sunroof seal from outside the car. I think this is an `old boys trick` but my workshop guys said its worth doing.

Fortunately, I'm a small chap and found working in the back of the car ok.

Good luck if you're of a bigger frame. You may want to consider removing the front seat.

deMort said:
@ willy

Credit where its due young man .. excellent post .. :worship:

:oops:

I'm not worthy of such praise from you Oh Master Of The Porsche!!!! But thanks all the same :)

Edward
Another sneaky little area for a leak to get in around that area is where the rearmost retaining bolt of the quarter light window works loose. This results in the quarter light window seal letting water through.

Again, if you have removed the interior trim you will see this. Its a small allen headed bolt through a 1" washer with a foam backing.

Thank you very much all, very helpful!!!!

Best Edward

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back