Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987.1 5spd can't select 5th or reverse gear

fibbingarchie

Hi, I'm looking for any ideas or experience of this. I have a 987.1 manual and suddenly can't select 5th or reverse gear. Up to this point in time, I've never had any previous problems with 5th gear, but recently been having some occasional trouble with reverse sometimes taking 2 attempts to get fully engaged.

When checking the cables, clips and connections, I noticed that a bracket (circled red) was part broken and is slightly out of position. This appears to be causing the linkage (blue arrow) to sit lower than it should, and so restricts the movement of the lateral selector cable (yellow arrow). I can select and drive through gears 1 to 4 with no issues.

I'm just looking to know if this bracket issue is the cause of my problem, or a symptom of another problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• capture1_340.jpg
    capture1_340.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,464
If any part of that picture is broken then yes .. thats the problem .

One cable is the sideways movement and the other is the gear select so forward and back .. if either is damaged then the gearbox shafts wont line up and you wont be able to select that gear .

I cant see the actual break from the picture but that will be the problem imho .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back