Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window regulator, refurb?

MisterCorn

Fuji
My drivers side window was making some odd grating noises and now doesn't want to go all the way up. I am assuming that it is the regulator which is faulty but haven't removed it yet as the car lives outside. I have seen that there are repair kits available for the regulators. Has anybody used one of these? It is either that or just buy the complete part and swap it over. Any advise welcome.

MC

I would swap the entire part.I fitted a repro item in my boxster and it worked well although I thoroughly coated the moving parts with chain lube first as out of the box it was almost dry!

I used a refurb kit on one of mine, it failed not long after. I think the cable of the one I fitted is not the same quality. I replaced again with a good genuine used complete.

I also fitted ebay cheapy to the other side, this window now squeeks going up and down after 4 years. i suspect runner lubrication.

ho hum.

Thanks guys, I think I'll go for a good used one and lube it first. It isn't like it gets used a great deal anyway.

MC

Funnily enough carparts4less have a 14% off deal today. I got an HT regulator from them for £100 as mine makes a horrendous squeaky squealy noise when winding up and down in warmer weather. Seems very good quality.

I got one from ECP. For how much they are compared with a kit it isn't worth messing about tranna fix it.

I have a secondhand one coming in now, when I have my old unit out I might look at what the fault was and see about a repair kit. Better to fix it than to sling it, I have a spare then.

MC

With mine it was frayed/ broken cables on the old one with some rust in there possibly causing it.

The repair kit was narrower gauge cable, didn't sit quite right in the spool and got caught up then of course immediately kinked and frayed.

The squeaking is likely to be the runners just need greasing up.

Does anyone have an idiots guide on how to make the glass sit perfectly. I got my passenger side perfect, but that was probably a fluke and the drivers side isn't quite right as it seems to contact the seal too early on closing the door. whenever I move it out at the bottom even slightly it seems to go too far and not be even to the shape of the roofline.

I took Alex's advice and bought one from ecp. I don't think there's any noticeable difference to the original that came off. Works as it should.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back