Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cost to paint front bumper

baxster

I have put a short number plate plinth on my GTS but for some reason most Porsche dealers insist on screwing the edge of the number plate on the standard size plate with screws that are too long which results in the front bumper having holes in it. Short term I have found some small rubber bungs that really dont look too bad but I really want it sorting properly.
Does anyone know of a decent paint shop in the Nottingham area. Ive had a quote from Chartwells at £943 but this is excessive! I would think £500 is reasonable but then I dont know whats involved in removing a 2017 GTS front bumper. Any knowledge or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Well last time I had my 996 front bumper removed and painted it cost me £160. If I remove it myself and let them paint is, cost was £120. This was nearly 4 years ago so price may have gone up a few pence since.

They should have the bumper off in half an hour tops, if they are taking the bumper off and painting I would not be paying more than £250 in these parts, obviously Southern Tax is being applied.

The price from chart wells seems high but there are reasons for this
They will carry out a VAL on the car before removing the bumper using the Porsche computer
The bumper will be removed . Yes half hour job but then it needs stripping
if done correctly and there are a lot of fittings on the GTS bumpers
The holes need repairing then painting
Refitting and then another VAL to delete fault codes caused by disconnecting electrics
Quite time consuming and chartwrlls hourly rate is not going to be cheap as they are Porsche approved but you will get a proper job
That being said it can be done anywhere and you will prob not notice a difference in quality just depends how fussy you are about the little things that matter ie the VALs being done and paint scheme being used etc

Another thing is they will prob want to blend the wings for colour match

WTF's a VAL?

VAL or no VAL £943 to paint a front bumper is a pi$$ take!

:floor:

Any place with piss taking prices will include £150 to reset error codes. That's my experience.

Vehicle analysis check
Just trying to give an input as to what will happen at Chartwells
And why it would be that price
I agree £900 is expensive but you also need to live in the real world
You won't get it done for £200 not if the bumper is completely stripped to be painted properly.

Taking the bumper off without the ignition on will not throw fault codes, so VAL is taking the piss and near enough a grand for a bumper repaint frankly they are taking your pants down and giving you a damn good rodgering :nooo:

Budgiec4s said:
you also need to live in the real world
You won't get it done for £200 not if the bumper is completely stripped to be painted properly.

Maybe it's you who needs to live in the real world?.......rather than living in the world of Spank.

Half hour to remove front bumper and trims, same to refit. Then a rub down and respray should be around £200 max!

As for running a VAL - charging for that is like charging for pumping your tyres up.

Frenchmeister said:
Taking the bumper off without the ignition on will not throw fault codes, so VAL is taking the piss and near enough a grand for a bumper repaint frankly they are taking your pants down and giving you a damn good rodgering :nooo:

Don't beat around the bush...say what you are thinking please :hand:

:thumb:

This is true though and you know it, predators waiting to pounce on people who do not know, I could make a fortune but like to sleep at night.
A mate of mine has his own garage, there is nothing he can't fix and is very meticulous he charges £40 an hour and drives a battered 02 plate BMW and lives in an ex council house........maybe too honest :?:
Probably a northern thing :lol: :lol:

Like many, I have taken the PU off for both cleaning and repair purposes. Nothing to worry the cars systems other than the parking sensors and lights which simply unplug. (I must say that the many and varied ways electrical connections are undone is very frustrating!)

Your car is fairly new so there should be no need to blend in the wings. The paint code will enable a good match. I had my number plate holes done as a localised repair, by a man in a van, leaving the bumper on the car. Very satisfactory for less than £100

Having said all the above some colours are harder than others.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back