Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drivetrain boominess - what would you do?

EGTE

Sao Paulo
Some thoughts, please Gents (and girls!).

When I installed the Powerflex gearbox mount (Mark 1), there was a horrible vibration/boominess from the back end around 3-4000 RPM. I remember a lot of guys not having this problem and one of you guys asking if I had had a new clutch, which I have had. Thankfully, the Mark 2 gearbox mount fixed the problem and I stopped thinking about this as an issue.

Having recently installed the 993/964 RS engine mounts, the boom is back and it has got me thinking: do I have a drivetrain balance issue that needs addressing? I'm concerned that this vibration cannot be good for all manner of mechanical parts.

What would you guys do:

• a. Just fit normal engine mounts and ignore the issue?
    b. Change the clutch
    c. Get a drivetrain balance done - thoughts on where and how appreciated
    d. Something else (with details, please)?

EGTE said:
What would you guys do:

a. Just fit normal engine mounts and ignore the issue?

:yeah:

Option a.

B - won't affect it I'd have thought ?
C - Again doubtful, and the gearbox would have to come out to get at flywheel, which in any case if dual mass can't be balanced. Or difficult in any case.
D - if you moved the engine a bit to remove and fit new mounts, maybe something else is touching or rubbing where it shouldn't and causing a harshness at a resonant frequency?

Thanks, guys. Maybe I've just gone soft a bit :D

I might try moving the engine a little, as a first step - good idea :thumb:

I would try a new OE gearbox mount and keep the RS engine mounts, on the basis they make more difference to the drive feel. Hopefully the vibration is a resonance arising from the combination of the two.

I have started to get a chatter from the gearbox at idle with clutch disengaged since fitting the rs engine mounts and gearbox insert. The rubber previously soaked that up, I guess I might remove the insert and see how that is as didn't feel much difference from the insert anyway

Update on this: I removed the gearbox mount inserts and things are much, much better. Also found a slightly loose exhaust mount and tightened it up, as well.

Not sure which one actually cured the problem, but the engine mounts weren't the cause, anyway. :thumb:

Good news, I'll fit mine now!!

thanks
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back