Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interesting offer from my OPC ?

Main Force Patrol

Got an email from my local OPC, extract below....

Known as the Direct Dialogue bay, this area in the workshop allows customers the chance to view their car on a ramp and gain greater understanding of their vehicle and our workshop facilities.

Customers will benefit from a detailed explanation of the condition of their car whilst in the Direct Dialogue Bay.

Seems actually interesting, to me, I gave up long ago wanting to spin spanners, I will leave that to the proper engineers !

They already know I'm going to splash the cash on a 111point check & warranty, so they have nothing extra to sell to me in near to medium term ?
What do Guys think ?

Is it for free :?:

If so, I`d go for it, there`s nothing like having a good poke around under your Porsche while it is on the ramps :grin:

Both of mine have been in to Centre Gravity for a healthcheck on the suspension and I jumped at the chance of having a good look underneath, very informative too :thumb:

kurlykris said:
Is it for free :?:

If so, I`d go for it, there`s nothing like having a good poke around under your Porsche while it is on the ramps :grin:

Both of mine have been in to Centre Gravity for a healthcheck on the suspension and I jumped at the chance of having a good look underneath, very informative too :thumb:

So short answer, yes I think it is free.... :D

I suspect it's a bit of ploy to reach out to me because I said I would have booked it for the 111 point check by now but I popped out to Wales for a short break so I'm a week behind.
But to be fair I think like to be sold things ! I've lost track of dealerships ( non Porsche ) I've walked out of because basically they couldn't even do simple things and it felt like I had to throw my money at them.

It is free. Had this whilst having mine serviced at OPC. I found it useful, I could ask any questions I had, was shown the Rev range data at my request etc. Given the prices OPC charge, I'm surprised it hasn't been offered all along.

Edited to add: my OPC didn't try to up-sell anything. It was just a good honest chat.

The OPC's have been doing this for years, I guess that if they detect that you have an interest they will offer you the opportunity to do this. Some owners have zero interest of course, the service manager will be sussing you out.

Take it , its a good opportunity to see all around and underneath your car .......

Wear a beanie ......dont wear a white T-shirt if you own a 996...

8) justkiddin.......

It appears all OPC's are doing it now. The new (1 yr old) OPC at Teesside has had my local PCGB there three times already to allow members a free inspection and look under their cars, usually Saturday mornings. Free bacon butties and coffee too!

It works for both parties. If they spot a problem that needs fixing they will offer you a price, or you can always go t your local indy for a quote.

I recently had two new rear tyres and Porsche Teesside's price was the same as I was quoted locally, so why not build a relationship with them. As always keep an open mind, do your own homework about the individual problem and repair, then make your choice... :thumb:

911TEL said:
The OPC's have been doing this for years, I guess that if they detect that you have an interest they will offer you the opportunity to do this. Some owners have zero interest of course, the service manager will be sussing you out.

Take it , its a good opportunity to see all around and underneath your car .......

Wear a beanie ......dont wear a white T-shirt if you own a 996...

8) justkiddin.......

I'm a bit slow this morning.... I read the tee shirt & beanie 3 times before I got it ! :grin:
I'm hoping mine underneath will look like a set of white plates straight of the dishwasher 😂

Thanks Guys cracking feedback as ever ! 😀

Main Force Patrol said:
Got an email from my local OPC, extract below....

Known as the Direct Dialogue bay, this area in the workshop allows customers the chance to view their car on a ramp and gain greater understanding of their vehicle and our workshop facilities.

Customers will benefit from a detailed explanation of the condition of their car whilst in the Direct Dialogue Bay.

Seems actually interesting, to me, I gave up long ago wanting to spin spanners, I will leave that to the proper engineers !

They already know I'm going to splash the cash on a 111point check & warranty, so they have nothing extra to sell to me in near to medium term ?
What do Guys think ?

Direct Dialogue Bay's have been gradually introduced across the network over the last few years, it's a positive customer service experience.

Took mine in when i first bought her; they stuck her up on the ramps and did a video of everything they could fine and then sent a quote for the whole lot...

Osh

Definitely do it .. you get to talk to the mechanic not the service advisor .. mechanics give good honest advise .. they are not trying to sell you anything .

I did things like this at OPC and i do them at Indy .. as far as i can tell every customer has enjoyed chatting about their car and talking to the donkey that actually does the work :thumb:

Had the walk round yesterday with the mechanic when in for service. He checked pad depth and tyre depths while i was there. He pointed out the corroded exhaust nuts and explained how they would remove them. The receptionist called me later to quote me ...... £1000 to replace them. I think I may be doing that job myself.

I couldn`t fault the service and attention to detail, explanation of everything they did .... but .... you do pay for it. :wink:

That's not a bad price for corroded exhaust nuts - if its the ones I'm thinking.
It can be a pig of a job that takes way more time than initially estimated.

The OPC price is usually a quote for the work and fixed (not an estimate).
An Indy can easily run into £800 for this job and be an open-ended labour-based estimate.

And if any of them snap.......

I am assuming they would dismantle the whole system, turbos included. The fitter did say they use a gas torch to get them red hot then undo them with grips of some sort. The tricky ones to get to look to be the top ones on the turbo and where the cat bolts to the turbo.

I also assume they would be replacing all the clamps too.

I suspect the main downside if the OPC does the exhaust bolts is that they will replace with the same spec ones, consequently ensuring they will need doing again after a couple of winters use.

These opportunities are always worth taking. A proper look at the car and sensible advice which you can take or leave. And who would not appreciate a wander around the dealership, no hassle and free coffee - well, apart from SWMBO that is, and her sister, and most of her friends, and most of their partners....a lovely quiet hour or so.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back