Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel fitment-------

Ishay said:
I couldn't refind this last night but this appears to be the exact upgrade I'm doing (both before and after), and it's the one that made me think the black cayman wheel would look good. This guy reckons his horn just worked so I have my fingers crossed...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/268105-upgraded-my-steering-wheel.html

That wheel swop should be very easy like the OPs you may just have to get the multifunction switched on at the OPC unless you already have MF on your old wheel in whivh case it will already be turned on :thumb: I have not see a review where a manual needs the newer steering control module its always tips that need it very rare to read of a tip not needing it :thumb:

Mine is a manual with MF and I had to change the electronic module and have it all coded in - was not a cheap upgrade.

-- 997 -- said:
Thanks all for your replies! I've booked the car in for a coding for the steering wheel Wednesday so hopefully I shouldnt get any problems!! Will let ya know how it went and what's been done!!

Cheers

J

How did the coding go --997--?

I have swapped my wheel but waiting for the air bag in the post.

Trial and error with the alarm/window drop/steering lock and clock spring all overcome as minor mistakes.

Biggest panic was the extra length of the spline and therefore the 'unused' spline, which I mistook for it not fitting at at first. I've seen this partially explained in a YouTube video (badly). I assume you had the same?

Poker2009 said:
Mine is a manual with MF and I had to change the electronic module and have it all coded in - was not a cheap upgrade.

interesting, out of interest what year car :?: hardly ever hear of manual cars needing the module was wondering it it might be an 04 or early 05 car and if they had older modules than the late 05 and 06 on cars. :dont know:

Ok got my steering wheel module coded today to take the new steering wheel and works great as phil997 stated..

however a mate of mine bought a module the other day as he tried to code his original module and it didn't work so this new module he fitted and that didn't work also. But the technician had another customers module and that worked but of course it was someone else's module. Anyway he took the gen2 module back to the guy to get his money back, so he's off to porsche to order..

Anyway pic below of steering wheel and works well... feels sooo much better and good !!

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20180411_101728_114.jpg
    20180411_101728_114.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,185
  • 20180411_101740_166.jpg
    20180411_101740_166.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,185
J, pleased thats sorted for you mate, :thumb: interior looking great now , my mirror triangles are at wicked coatings this week being done like yours. :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
J, pleased thats sorted for you mate, :thumb: interior looking great now , my mirror triangles are at wicked coatings this week being done like yours. :grin: :thumb:

Hiya Phil, cheers mate :thumb: when you get the triangles back from Wicked Coatings it will finalise the doors... Also what about the interior light casing, have you sent that away for painting Also?

Cheers

J

Great news --997--. Did an OPC or an Indy recode it?

I now have my air bag in and of course the horn does not work, but I have something I didn't see explained elsewhere too.

When I press the horn it goes in and barely comes out again. Has anybody else had that?

Attachments

• img_0693_410.jpg
    img_0693_410.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,884
-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Hiya Phil, cheers mate :thumb: when you get the triangles back from Wicked Coatings it will finalise the doors... Also what about the interior light casing, have you sent that away for painting Also?

Cheers

J

yes mate the light casing and the two little rectangular bits under the door speakers and lastly my headlight washers going from chrome to body colour.

Ishay said:
Great news --997--. Did an OPC or an Indy recode it?

I now have my air bag in and of course the horn does not work, but I have something I didn't see explained elsewhere too.

When I press the horn it goes in and barely comes out again. Has anybody else had that?

you need two new springs , the ones in the bottom of the wheel about £1.30 each from OPC and also add some silicon grease to the three tabs on the side of the airbag :thumb: :thumb:

Perfect, thanks I'll look into it :thumb:

The wheel did come with these springs, is it these or something else?

Attachments

• screen_shot_2018_04_13_at_150855_451.png
    screen_shot_2018_04_13_at_150855_451.png
    906.8 KB · Views: 2,863
Ishay said:
Perfect, thanks I'll look into it :thumb:

The wheel did come with these springs, is it these or something else?

yep its those two mate, they lose their tension , and no you cant try just stretching them :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

I'll get onto it

Looks good though I reckon

Attachments

• 2f8fc03d_44ec_4f09_8bfb_454e9e061905_185.jpeg
    2f8fc03d_44ec_4f09_8bfb_454e9e061905_185.jpeg
    810.6 KB · Views: 2,834
Ishay - that looks very smart.

Quick question (having read the other read on steering wheels) is the overall size of the wheel bigger than what you had before? Is it noticeable?

I have the same wheel, I believe from a cayman although the code is 991.347.803.54.A34 - so perhaps from a 991?

Anyway I'm yet to fit it so welcome your thoughts on overall size/feel.

Yea I think that's in comparison to a BMW wheel. I too have a BMW second car and the wheel looks identical to Buba's, they are tiny.

It's certainly no bigger than the 997.1 wheel and the extra fatness makes it seem smaller. This Cayman wheel is identical to my old 997.2 C2 wheel, it even has a 997 part number, it's just black

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back