Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel fitment-------

-- 997 --

Hi all, baffled!! I went to fit my newly refurbished steering wheel and when put all together etc. The horn don't seem to work at all!! Anyone know a reason why etc??

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20180404_160646_137.jpg
    20180404_160646_137.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,155
Was that when seated correctly ? it doesn't look to be quite right in the picture - from memory there is a channel where the wires are taped - with the wires out of the way the airbag should move smoothly to activate the horn. (its about 3-4mm of movement

The springs below are in place? they provide the return. And the black wire with the spade connector (earth) is in place?

Hi yeah the horn was locked in position and all connectors to airbag present! I took that picture as I was taking off the steering wheel and air at to put the original back in which the horn works but yeah all was put in correct you could press the horn and it will spring back but no sound. Just replaced with my original steering wheel and that works etc..

J

I'm no expert but it's a gen 2 wheel on a gen 1 car so has it got to be coded into the vehicle :dont know:

A previous thread said you need to have it programmed as a MF wheel for the horn to work.

apollokre1d said:

OP, did this work??

I just 'accidentally' won this wheel. It was not on my shortlist of jobs but sometime low auction bids come good (£189 for a unused wheel).

I'm going from a manual no-button triangle wheel in a 997.1 Turbo. With no buttons on either wheel I'd hoped it would be easy...

Attachments

• 23adf162_cd38_4ce8_adcb_6f5186ca51c8_612.jpeg
    23adf162_cd38_4ce8_adcb_6f5186ca51c8_612.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 5,782
Thanks all for your replies! I've booked the car in for a coding for the steering wheel Wednesday so hopefully I shouldnt get any problems!! Will let ya know how it went and what's been done!!

Cheers

J

J, When you go to the OPC you need to give them very clear instructions. tell them to turn on the multifunction option, you will need to insist as they will think they know better and not do it as it hasn't got MF . this will sort your horn problem. Do not let them charge you more than 30 mins labour.
if the horn sticks when depressed remove the air bag and add a small amount of silicon grease to the three tabs on the side of the airbag.
If the airbag goes down and doesnt return then you need two new springs at the bottom they are about £1.30 each
The refurbed wheel looks great by the way. :thumb: :thumb:

I think you are going to need the electronic control module from the later cars - had to change it on mine - eBay if you are lucky or £250 from Porsche.

p/n 997.613.289.01

Phil 997 said:
J, When you go to the OPC you need to give them very clear instructions. tell them to turn on the multifunction option, you will need to insist as they will think they know better and not do it as it hasn't got MF . this will sort your horn problem. Do not let them charge you more than 30 mins labour.
if the horn sticks when depressed remove the air bag and add a small amount of silicon grease to the three tabs on the side of the airbag.
If the airbag goes down and doesnt return then you need two new springs at the bottom they are about £1.30 each

Hi Phil. Yeah thanks I'll have that in mind when I get there tommorow morning :thumb:

I'm just bloody hoping the coding is all that's needed and not the.module!! If the module is needed Is it easy to fit it? Also what does this module look like and where is it located?

Regards to the horn sticking, doesn't do it anymore I did purchase new springs and retracts back nicely!! But will add some silicone grease to the 3 tabs where the horn glides against it for ease of the horn.. etc..

Cheers

J

What wheel did you have before?

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi Phil. Yeah thanks I'll have that in mind when I get there tommorow morning :thumb:

I'm just bloody hoping the coding is all that's needed and not the.module!! If the module is needed Is it easy to fit it? Also what does this module look like and where is it located?

Regards to the horn sticking, doesn't do it anymore I did purchase new springs and retracts back nicely!! But will add some silicone grease to the 3 tabs where the horn glides against it for ease of the horn.. etc..

Cheers

J

normally only tips that need the new module mate. the module is a horse shoe looking thing that wraps around the steering column , not a difficult job to do but in the unlikely event you do need one it will need coding with PIWIS . but I am still very confident you wont need it. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back