Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front end lightness

qwerty911 said:
I too have just swapped from M5CP. So far the experience has been horrible, the car wanders all over the place. I've have the geo sheet from the OPC and confirmed in spec. Our weather is still sub 5deg, what pressures should I be looking for when tyres hot? I do also recognise that I'm getting more used to driving it, but surely it shouldn't require so much effort when not pushing on?

I was surprised at how skittish the car felt at -1c on summer tyres. It wasn't comfortable. You may need to wait for the summer.

qwerty911 said:
I too have just swapped from M5CP. So far the experience has been horrible, the car wanders all over the place. I've have the geo sheet from the OPC and confirmed in spec. Our weather is still sub 5deg, what pressures should I be looking for when tyres hot? I do also recognise that I'm getting more used to driving it, but surely it shouldn't require so much effort when not pushing on?

Wanders!? I've had two and never had one wander. In fact it was my e46s that I had wandering problems with. In my e46 it was solved with new dampers and new tyres. But whilst I recognise a 'feeling' of lightness in a RWD 911, it's just a feeling, not an actual physical loss of control/direction

Ishay said:
qwerty911 said:

Wanders!? I've had two and never had one wander. In fact it was my e46s that I had wandering problems with. In my e46 it was solved with new dampers and new tyres. But whilst I recognise a 'feeling' of lightness in a RWD 911, it's just a feeling, not an actual physical loss of control/direction

Exactly - properly set up the steering feedback is a lot more subtle and sensitive than an M car (or anything with 200kg of metal over the front axle). A lot of new owners confuse this subtlety with vagueness or wandering because they arent getting the obvious blunt bite out of the front end when turning in and the weight shifts over the front. It takes a while to adjust to this but when you do the confidence comes back. I've had a bunch of M cars but when you learn the 911 language it talks to you a lot more than anything from Munich

pcat said:
Ishay said:
qwerty911 said:

Exactly - properly set up the steering feedback is a lot more subtle and sensitive than an M car (or anything with 200kg of metal over the front axle). A lot of new owners confuse this subtlety with vagueness or wandering because they arent getting the obvious blunt bite out of the front end when turning in and the weight shifts over the front. It takes a while to adjust to this but when you do the confidence comes back. I've had a bunch of M cars but when you learn the 911 language it talks to you a lot more than anything from Munich

I agree , they are very different cars the M cars are just a stock saloon/coupe with a fast engine in it and improved handling /braking .
the 911 is a sports car subtly tweaked and newer tech added over 50 years. driving a dedicated designed for purpose sports car is different to driving a fast saloon thats a modification of their 1.8 ltr rep mobile. :grin: I dont doubt BMW fans wont like that comment but it is my opinion . :grin: :thumb: I dont dislike M cars but they are what they are. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back