Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa Roof repairs

Cameltoe & Heel

Chaps, I've now finished my engine and gearbox, just need to mate them together with the new clutch.

My next big task is to tackle the roof, my car had a broken axle plate, I have all new parts and rubber seals now, so just need the technical reference to ensure I install correctly and carry out all the Porsche checks do reduce squeeks etc.

The Targa specific technical bulletins were located here:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82579

But it appears that they no longer live on dropbox server, does anyone have them?, or know where I can get my hands on a copy of them?.

Cheers
Trev

If you want full strip and repair on the Targas then pm me an email addy as i have several documents .

Ive also had the pleasure of removing the roof and replaceing cables a couple of times .

Attachments

• targa_2_810.jpg
    targa_2_810.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 4,992
  • targa_1_808.jpg
    targa_1_808.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 4,992
Folks just a quick update, my Targa roof assembly was broken, you can see the parts below (lever & axel plate from nearside rail), this meant the glass roof would not operate and sat collapsed in one corner.

SxuKdFy.jpg

However the replacement of these items was not clear and it first it seemed I may have to remove the whole guide rail/s. Lots of research later and looking at the roof I could see I needed to remove the drive cables from the nearside guide rail and pull the offending items out, not as easy process with one screw causing no end of issues to remove.

However I finally managed to replace the items and reassemble, although I was introduced to a new sealant called Butyl, which is like a firm rubber substance that stays sticky, duly applied and all seemed well, mechanism works nicely when working manually with the emergency procedure.

Q244bVA.jpg

You can see how I've had to turn the roof assembly upside down and work on a trestle, thanks for the tip Demort :). Had to remove all of the old adhesive from along the bottom edge of the roof assembly which has been a very time consuming process but essential when refitting, so I've now cleaned up these bottom edges and painted black.

FzztE9E.jpg

Also managed to get the Sunblind working nicely, with the manual process, all cleaned and lubed up.

Omw1qYF.jpg

Additionally I've cleaned the main glass section and bought a new rubber seal for it, bought two new door seals, one was an eBay bargain at £100, the other was not and bought from Porsche, circa £400.

Various other replacement rubbers will be replaced, other replacement parts arrive today from Design 911 inc front axel plates and gates. Also pads for the wind deflector sliding brackets from Porsche, should aid in smooth operation of the deflector.

There's so many little bits in this assembly that need to be set-up correctly, clean/lubed and not broken for the roof to work properly.

It's certainly been a learning experience for me.

So next steps is to mask the roof assembly up and get it to the paint shop to have the rails painted with the rest of the car. Then I'll be installing the roof assembly with some help :). I've just bought the adhesive kit for installing the roof onto the body, looking forward to that :).

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back