Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche extended warranty

cambsguy

Hi All,

Some of your thoughts please,
I have a 2012 991.1 C2S 35,000 miles, always had the extended warranty as I did on my previous 997 etc.. however my dilemma is do i renew the warranty, I only really do about 5000 miles a year.. or is not renewing the kiss of death ?

Thanks all

IMHO keep it, you never know what's around the corner! :thumb:

My car is 4 years old later on this month, and I will be renewing my warranty again for another 12 months.

Others may say to put the £1K in the bank and save it for repair time, or simply hope that a serious fault does not develop. However, personally speaking, I wouldn't be without the PEW for the peace of mind which it gives. :lol:

I wouldn't bother. Seems to be harder to get warranty work done than it used to be and it's not great value.

I too have a 991.1 C2S and I definitely would not be without the Porsche extended warranty.

It depends upon how long you are keeping it. If it is a short term car then the OPC warranty is a great hedge against unexpected big bills, but if you are in it for the long haul then the amount that you will spend on warranty costs (which include the checks, the need for no aftermarket parts/batteries/non-N tyres/wiper blades/etc...) over the 14 years of warrantable lifespan will far exceed what you are likely to have claimed for in the period.

Basically - the longer you keep a Porsche, the more sense it makes to warrant it with your own money in a slush fund in the bank. But if you rotate your cars every few years then the warranty can be an extremely worthwhile product.

Also of course, it you sell a car either privately or back into the OPC network then that warranty does have tangible transferable value and that is something else to feed into your decision process.

It's like Insurance......you moan about paying for it...until you need it.

My 997 was just over 6 years old last March when a warranty renewal was needed.
They found in the health check it needed new air con rads.....£1500.
I was certainly glad of it then!

I have dealt with other warranty companies before and they have been hard work and not that much cheaper either.

If you have luck like mine (previous 996 bore scoring) then you could just be asking for "Sod's Law" to strike if you do not renew it.

The 996 was under warranty (not OPC) and it saved me about £6k on the final bill.

At least a warranty is an expense you can budget for.

I see the warranty just as an investment as I am not buying a new car which would cost a bit more.

Some sort of man's math - pay 30k for another car that is in warranty, or 1k for another year's motoring without worries.

Only had a very small claim on mine last year, leaking coolant pipe (known fault). At least no discussion about it.

Surely the older your car is - the more you're likely to need it? I've never had a problem on any of my Porsches (touch wood) - but I love the reassurance that it's there in case you need it.

In buying my 991 - it became obvious that the Porsche dealers had some of the best stock - but what sold it for me was the OPC warranty.

In my Dad's case however, the rear main seal (RMS) on his Boxster 986 started leaking at 4yrs old and so they replaced it. No fuss. No hassle. Then it went again and again. 6 times in all. All covered under the Porsche extended warranty. They also replaced numerous components FOC up to the 15 year limit and he sold it after that. So while it would have been cheaper to self insure over that period - it wouldn't have been by much and it wouldn't have given him the peace of mind that he wanted.

I've got a a MY08 997.1 Turbo 6MT with 40k miles. I've claimed for new turbo actuators, a starter motor and some brake work under warranty within 1k miles and 2 years of buying it. I've got a BMW E93n 335 and I claimed for a new engine, turbos, coils and other related ancillary items under warranty within 3 months of buying the used car from BMW (claim value was around 15k). Suffice to say, I ALWAYS extend car warranties.

Been done to death on here.

Being the reckless type that I am I didn't bother renewing. I'll have owned my turbo for 4 years in December (its a 997.2 year 2012) and so far nothing at all apart from obvious consumables.

Some guys on here swear by it, some don't. D'ya feel lucky punk? D'ya??

Aaand I might add. The sticking point for me was Porsche's inflexibility on any mods... Everything must remain stock. To me that feels like you don't actually own the car. Bowllox to that.... :wink:

Norfolk & Idea said:

Being the reckless type that I am I didn't bother renewing. I'll have owned my turbo for 4 years in December (its a 997.2 year 2012) and so far nothing at all apart from obvious consumables.

Aaand I might add. The sticking point for me was Porsche's inflexibility on any mods... Everything must remain stock. To me that feels like you don't actually own the car. Bowllox to that.... :wink:

I've still not done mine, tbf ill soon have saved over a grand for the year, and I could put some michelins on as opposed to these shiite Pirellis :dont know:

spongebob squarepants said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

I've still not done mine, tbf ill soon have saved over a grand for the year, and I could put some michelins on as opposed to these shiite Pirellis :dont know:

Jeezus H Christ... Get some Michelin PS4S's on sharp as you like! You'll be grinning from ear to ear with your new seemingly 'magic' tyres :thumbs:

I've put PS4's all round on my C4s, no issue with OPC warranty as they are N rated.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back