Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First start after 6 months - horrible clunking noise

Common for the odd lazy tappet and a little noise after a few months lay up. I started my 993 yesterday for the first time in about 5 months and there was definitely noise from a lazy tappet. Drove round the block for a mile or so and it cleared once the oil had warmed and circulated.
Try a gentle drive out to get the fluids moving and you will probably find it clears.

C.

cableguy said:
Common for the odd lazy tappet and a little noise after a few months lay up. I started my 993 yesterday for the first time in about 5 months and there was definitely noise from a lazy tappet. Drove round the block for a mile or so and it cleared once the oil had warmed and circulated.
Try a gentle drive out to get the fluids moving and you will probably find it clears.

C.

Tax is from april 1, i was just getting it out of the carcoon today. Fingers crossed it magically heals itself :)

It needs to get upto temperature , tappet noises are not uncommon after a layover .. once warm the oil flows better and they tend to quieten down .

Tappet noise is normally a tinny type noise .. the ones to be more concerned about are deep heavey sounding ones , also anything thats permanent .

Demort said:
It needs to get upto temperature , tappet noises are not uncommon after a layover .. once warm the oil flows better and they tend to quieten down .

Tappet noise is normally a tinny type noise .. the ones to be more concerned about are deep heavey sounding ones , also anything thats permanent .

Uh oh, it was loud and clunky definitely not tinny. I'll get it warmed up on sunday, it did seem to improve a bit while i was moving it about on the drive

Did it sound like tappets on the video to you?

Sounds tappety to me, from the vid at least. Did you let it get up to temp and did it improve?

pcat said:
Demort said:

Uh oh, it was loud and clunky definitely not tinny. I'll get it warmed up on sunday, it did seem to improve a bit while i was moving it about on the drive

Did it sound like tappets on the video to you?

the video sounded very bassy so i wasnt totally sure .. a video down low and moving side to side would help more as a tappet will be louder on the side thats sticking .

But we also have to think logically .. the car hasnt been used in a while .. tappets are the norm .. warm up the car and it should queten down i expect .

You were right as usual ;) took her out today and got up to temp gently, stopped and had a listen and all good

Then it was necessay to blow the cobwebs off properly, bloody hell it feels fast afetr driving the truck for 6 months. Having used it as a daily for 4 years i'd got used to it, but its like buying new all over again

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back