Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System: Activation and Fobs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to update .

Got the car back Monday night with a working replacement tracker .

Apparently Vodaphone release a new version part number ends in a 14 but nobody in the UK knows where they are and didn't tell Porsche. The previous models ends in a 12 but apparently they had all been switched off that weren't currently active .

Lots of phone calls between Reading and Vodaphone and suddenly the existing one became active ?

Anybody who buys a used 997 and may want the tracker activated I suggest gets this checked before taking the car .

I suspect it will be ok now as I think they have reactivated the existing SIM cards but it took over ten days to resolve .

Good news that its finally sorted .

As you are aware it works on a sim card .. so it has a phone number which if not used gets recycled back to the phone company .

Vodaphone can request that number back and if its not been re issued then it can be used on your tracker .. it does take a while but used to be a max of 48 hours .

No idea why this took so long or why a vodaphone engineer couldnt just fit one .. he could do it at your house so im confused there unless theres a warrenty if so it needs to be Porsche fitted .

I also feel for the service manager / service advisor .. i know the situation they have been placed in as unfortunatly for 10 years i saw similar at an OPC .

I think its fair to say though .. You have my utmost sympathy and you seem to have been very patient with all of this although very frustrated obviously .

Yep I felt for the guy as well.

Once it was being sorted by him to be fair it was resolved in 36 hours and I have spoken to him before so I trusted he was be genuine with what he was telling me .

He might not be so pleased after I rang today to point out both rear lights have condensation and the pdk is a bit rough lol .

The OPC wouldn't let Vodaphone mess about as you say because of the warranty . It seems that all the current stock of trackers had sims that had been de activated which is a bit crazy and I was getting p.... d off but glad it's sorted .

Have to say though it is obviously slower compared to the 991.2 gts I borrowed I think I prefer it which is just as well as I can't afford one :)

Warrenty .. excellent .. complain about the pdk being jerky .. and very poor when cold .. they should do a software update which by all accounts from people here makes a big difference .

Rear light clusters and condensation .. this IS something that needs fixing .. if left it will corrode the units and its pretty expensive and its not uncommon shall we say :)

Again it should be covered under warrenty .

Porsche warrenty and it makes sense to me .. they cant let a non Porsche chap fix it .. Porsche rules .

Think about this .. i cant afford a Porsche so i had to get a job as a Porsche mechanic so i could drive them :D

Lovely cars though which ever one you own .

I agree and thanks Demort .

I will definitely push for two new rear lights and have already subtlety mentioned that maybe the pdk needs a software tweak .

They are great cars and I appreciate I am very lucky to own them .

I would quite happily have another 50 hp but I honestly think the gen2 997 is maybe the sweet spot in the water cooled 911 range . I am growing to really enjoy this car .

Interesting read indeed.

I collect my Gen2 next week. My Insurance need the tracker activated for it to have theft cover. I've only placed a deposit, so next Saturday will be interesting.
I may have a look for Insurance else where, my commute car has the NCB on, so it may be dificult insuring the Porsche with no NCB. I'd rather not the tracker tbh. At least if it doesn't work, I have Warranty I guess.

keendean said:
I may have a look for Insurance else where, my commute car has the NCB on, so it may be dificult insuring the Porsche with no NCB. I'd rather not the tracker tbh. At least if it doesn't work, I have Warranty I guess.

Classicline are well worth a call. Their policies do not require either NCB or a tracker. Cheapest for me by far. Never had to claim but been with them for years and always had great service :thumb:

Thanks, I'll give them ago. We have two other cars, lots of NCB, and I'm getting grey in my stubble, so hope it's not too bad price wise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back