Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY Engine removal - some questions......... and answers.

DrJimBone said:
I'm planning to drop the engine in my Cayman soon (ish - I don't like the cold).

My plan was to get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-S...AMP-MID-RISE/263532469381?hash=item3d5bc25c85

Anyone had any experience with them?

I spent a while looking round, before I bought my scissor lift.
I contemplated one of the lifts you linked to, as they are cheap and the youtube videos look impressive. I really liked they flexibility of them and the ease of storage etc. However I also read some stories of threads stripping etc. Assuming you always put extra supports in (axle stands etc.) before going under, it might be viable....I definitely wouldn't trust it alone (same for any lifting device)

I would very careful removing an engine from a car, while its on the tilting lift, as the CG would shift entirely. Not sure how the tilt-lift would respond.

Kingb4 said:
I spent a while looking round, before I bought my scissor lift.
I contemplated one of the lifts you linked to, as they are cheap and the youtube videos look impressive. I really liked they flexibility of them and the ease of storage etc. However I also read some stories of threads stripping etc. Assuming you always put extra supports in (axle stands etc.) before going under, it might be viable....I definitely wouldn't trust it alone (same for any lifting device)

I would very careful removing an engine from a car, while its on the tilting lift, as the CG would shift entirely. Not sure how the tilt-lift would respond.

I'm lucky in that I have a pit in my garage, so my plan was to lift the car then lower onto axle stands (keeping the tilt lift in place as added support). I'd then be confident that any movement or CG shift wouldn't risk the car falling. Especially when the wheels are off and the PCCB disks would take most of the impact (my head non-withstanding) ;)

Kingb4 said:
Stoo.c said:
I also managed to get my engine/gearbox combo out in one go on a garage floor - I have always used the bread carts to wheel around engines as they are only a few cm off the ground - surprisingly strong - think mine came from Coop if that helps :)
I see you are fairly local to me (am Leighton Buzzard) - I have just got a lift fitted. You are welcome to have a look.
(I would also cheekily pick your brains on removing my engine)

Send me a message perhaps and we could arrange something :)

Engine out

Just an update:

Thanks to comments and pictures from forum members, I raised rear of the car on the stands to a mighty 82CM from the floor.

Engine and gearbox is out. Some pictures below:

I wasn't expecting to get it done today, however a certain Mr Demort ..........:mechanic:
popped over, and very kindly assisted, (or rather I assisted him) extract the engine from the car.

You will note the use of an engine crane as opposed to the ATV jack / trolley that I was originally planning to use. This is Infrasilver's method, and I think ideal. The main benefit is that it has a much greater range of movement than the hydraulic ATV trolley / jack, and it also finds its own balance point, so your not in danger of the weight of the engine toppling a jack. Though follow Infrasilver's method of securing the left (passenger) side, as it otherwise it sits lower than the right side when lowering the engine down.

ny8y3Fn.jpg

2q1Uljf.jpg

qmLBw3n.jpg

Demort seemed to think that a picture of my tool kit would amuse you! I didn't get it in a Christmas cracker honest. But I suppose it does demonstrate that some quite basic tools are all that is required...

pA9koMJ.jpg

Very big thanks to Demort, Cheers

It was a pleasure to meet you James and for me an enjoyable afternoon .

Tool kit was .. interesting shall we say but just goes to show people that only a few tools are required to drop an engine .. good Porsche design i would have to say .

Ill bring a Torque wrench and a few tools come reinstalling time though lol .

One thing i did think of after i left .. remove the crank angle sensor .. best if done while the box is out just in case we have problems refitting .. we can refit it after we install the engine .

Dam mate .. thats a hell of a hill you live on .. the bike slid out when i got on it !!!!

Rebuild choices are now yours :D

Cheers for a fun day .. tommorow its boreing .. i have to do it for a living .. sigh .

Ohhh and yes .. i did use the hammer !

Great work guys.

MC

Cheers guys. Socket set is now nearly 30 years old. Think I've got my moneys worth from it!

Wasz - I'm planning a separate post to discuss, but potentially nothing. However, there have been a couple of things that have bothered me which made me question whether I plan to keep the car. There simply isn't anything else I want (that I can afford). As Demort said earlier today, and I agree. If I sell this one and get another, I'll just eventually end up at the same point I am now. I want a car to use and enjoy rather than keep in the garage as an 'investment'. So going to send the engine to Hartech for a re-fresh, and maybe a few upgrades.
:thumb:

Re: Engine out

Jamesx19 said:
Just an update:

Thanks to comments and pictures from forum members, I raised rear of the car on the stands to a mighty 82CM from the floor.

Engine and gearbox is out. Some pictures below:

I wasn't expecting to get it done today, however a certain Mr Demort ..........:mechanic:
popped over, and very kindly assisted, (or rather I assisted him) extract the engine from the car.

You will note the use of an engine crane as opposed to the ATV jack / trolley that I was originally planning to use. This is Infrasilver's method, and I think ideal. The main benefit is that it has a much greater range of movement than the hydraulic ATV trolley / jack, and it also finds its own balance point, so your not in danger of the weight of the engine toppling a jack. Though follow Infrasilver's method of securing the left (passenger) side, as it otherwise it sits lower than the right side when lowering the engine down.

ny8y3Fn.jpg

2q1Uljf.jpg

qmLBw3n.jpg

Demort seemed to think that a picture of my tool kit would amuse you! I didn't get it in a Christmas cracker honest. But I suppose it does demonstrate that some quite basic tools are all that is required...

pA9koMJ.jpg

Very big thanks to Demort, Cheers

Good Job! (Demort too... :wink: . RE: Tools - sometimes I wish I had less than I do (sort of). I'm always amazed when I'm done with a job, just how many tools I've used - it literally takes me an hour or so just to wipe them down and put everything back in it's place, and Ioften do this while I'm working as well (if it's something I won't be using again)... I'm somewhat of a "tool nut", but I don't buy stuff just to have it (I've been in friends garages that look like hardware/tool stores, but nothing ever moves and no "work" gets done...) - I use everything I buy, albeit some quite a bit more than others. All this being said, often times there is no good substitute for the proper tool both from a safety standpoint as well as an efficacy one. 8)

wasz said:
Kingb4 said:
Wasz - The link you posted was great. However am wondering if anyone has come across something thats step-by-step with pictures (like the old haynes manuals) - does anyone have a Bentley manual? If so, does this cover engine removal it step-by-step

Its in the official Porsche workshop manual, handily available here:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491&sid=b520a1ff05a1aab851c092daeeb378b6

How did I not know about this... what a great resource! :thumb:

Did mine last summer with a bike lift rated to 600Kg (engine/gearbox). I did not have clearance to remove, but worked out I could remove intake once dropped and pull out the engine. I remove the full exhaust system prior to drop to reduce weight and stability. This actually freed a lot of space to work on the engine whilst under the car.

Attachments

• 996_3659_912.jpg
    996_3659_912.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2,966
Hello! Sorry if off topic, I do not know where to post this question. On my journey, I lost a set with tools for cars, I bought them so long ago that I don't remember where exactly.

I choose from these options https://wisepick.org/best-mechanics-tool-sets/, can you recommend which one will be more universal?

Sorry Liam,
we're mostly UK based and the tools sets available here are a bit different.

A few ideas and my personal views:
Buy 'flat drive sockets' and 3/8 are generally the most useful size although 1/2 help for tight nuts and bolts. Unless you're a pro mechanic, any decent make will be ok. Look for ratchets with fine "clicks"

You'll need a decent torque wrench too.

Don't buy cheap spanners, pliers or screwdrivers but again, any reputable brand will probably be ok.

Big sets may not be the best value, start by listing what you think you'll need.

Online can be very good value but you don't get change to 'feel' the tools first.

You'll need a few special tools too, sets don't come with things like circlip pliers, oil filter wrenches, torx drivers and sockets etc.

You'll probably also find you need odd items like long or stubby screwdrivers, unusual length spanners etc, get them when you need them.

maldren said:
Sorry Liam,
we're mostly UK based and the tools sets available here are a bit different.

A few ideas and my personal views:
Buy 'flat drive sockets' and 3/8 are generally the most useful size although 1/2 help for tight nuts and bolts. Unless you're a pro mechanic, any decent make will be ok. Look for ratchets with fine "clicks"

You'll need a decent torque wrench too.

Don't buy cheap spanners, pliers or screwdrivers but again, any reputable brand will probably be ok.

Big sets may not be the best value, start by listing what you think you'll need.

Online can be very good value but you don't get change to 'feel' the tools first.

You'll need a few special tools too, sets don't come with things like circlip pliers, oil filter wrenches, torx drivers and sockets etc.

You'll probably also find you need odd items like long or stubby screwdrivers, unusual length spanners etc, get them when you need them.

Thanks for the answer, I think I understand :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back