Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C2S - Wet/Cold Carpet under mat in Drivers Footwell

TTW

Trainee
Hi All,

Whilst cleaning out the interior on my 2004 Gen 1 C2S, I noticed that underneath the center of the drivers mat (footwell) the carpet is saturated wet? (also feels 'Chilled').

I have researched many threads online which initially point to checking the drain holes under the hood, (either side of the battery) - which I may have to leave until weekend - however does the fact the wetness feels 'particularly chilled' suggest it is associated to the AC? or more accuractly could it be the AC evaporator drain thats blocked/leaking?

I have found a few posts where this has been the case - but each blockage case was resolved by the OPC or IPC, and I cant find any info/photos on the actual location of the AC Drain hole and/or how to Unblock it? (although I have found a diagram depicting locations of the drain holes, its really not very clear?) - has anyone else had this issue, or can advise on where the AC drain is, or how to clean it out?

Any help really appreciated?

I had similar problem, replaced the membrane on the inside of the door card, all fixed

Hi Thanks for the reply..

I can confirm that both door panel/carpets are dry, and the passenger side footwell is dry. Some reports I have read suggest the door carpets are wet when it is the door membrane? - do you know if this was the case with your mota?

The thing that strikes me with my issue, is that the carpet feels almost icy, even over the past week; whereas if it were rain, etc I would expect it to eventually be similar temperature to inside the vehicle, not noticeably colder? (hence why Im hung up on the AC theory, even though this might be completely irrelevant?)

As long as you have a RHD then the a/c drain is on the left side .. n/s/f and if that leaks it will cause the passenger carpet to get wet .

LHD and yes its a/c drain .

Door membrain .. wash the car or pour water over the outside of the door drivers side .. climb in from passenger side and feel along the base of the door card .. if its that it will be damp .

Drain bungs either side of the battery need checking .

Have you had a windscreen fitted recently ? i had one the other day that wasnt sealed properly .

Do you have a sunroof ?

The carpet will stay damp almost indefinitely so this could be a long term slow leak .. theres about 2 " of foam in places so its a giant sponge .

Attachments

• drain_pipe_743.jpg
    drain_pipe_743.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 2,438
Cheers Demort :)

In summary..

1) It is indeed RHD, so I guess the above eliminates the AC Drain (Thank You).

2) Door membrain - I will try the above at weekend & report back.

3) Drain bungs either side of the battery - I had a quick look yesterday and all seemed clean & dry under there, but will check properly at weekend & report back.

4) Nope, no recent new windscreen fitted

5) Yes I do have a sun roof? - Could this be implicated also?

6) The carpet will stay damp almost indefinitely so this could be a long term slow leak ... - I will try to Dry Out the carpet using tissue/paper, hair dryer, etc, before testing points 2 & 3 above.

Many Thanks.. :worship:

Sunroof has a drain tube for each corner so behind the drivers A post is where the tube runs .. this is a possibility but battery / membrain are the most obvious for water leaks .

The only way to dry the carpet is remove it then hang it up for a couple of days .

Its not actually that big a job .. let me know if your go down this route and ill explain what to do .

Trust me ive tryed a dehumidifier in a car for a week before and the carpets were still wet .

Just to point out .. i belive Bose amp or phone module is bolted under the drivers seat .. they dont want to get wet so worth a look .

Attachments

• no_carpet_769.jpg
    no_carpet_769.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 2,308
*POSSIBLY SOLVED!* ??

...So there has been heavy rain all night, and this morning, and the car has been out in it all night!.

Soooooo on my way to work I unlocked it, got in through the passenger door, and checked beneath the drivers door - dry! - All good.

Flipped the hood, took the battery cover cover off, and despite the previously 'clean & dry appearance' - there was a cheeky big pool of water to the left of the battery!!!!!!!!! - a swift prod with a wire coathanger confirmed it was indeed blocked with some kind of black sludge, and after clearing it all the water drained away!! - the other side looked fine, but obviously still need to check properly at weekend (as getting soaked myself this morning whilst doing this) to ensure I've cleared it properly & that other drains are also clear...

Thanks to all for your help & hopefully this thread will be useful to others whom encounter the same issue :) :oops: :thumbs:

The drain bungs are there to stop rodents getting into the car .. a bit pointless as they find other ways in .

Carefull you dont push too hard on the bung .. it will fall out leaving a large hole that will never get blocked and you never have to worry about water leaks from there again ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back