Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Third muffler/silencer Bypass pipes, supplier list

Phil 997

Le Mans
The 997.2 in stock form whether with or without Porsche Sports Exhaust is a bit muted and not the 911 sound track you would expect from these cars .

Recently on the forum there seems to be a lot of owners with 997 gen 2 cars looking to add a bit of sound whether they have PSE or not. One of the quickest, easiest, cheapest options on the gen2 is to go for the third muffler bypass pipes.

So in order to assist them with finding the suppliers I have compiled a list of the most popular options. I hope this helps anyone looking for this upgrade.

There are two versions available an Xpipe and a straight cross over, these will both do the same job and are purely a personal choice if you want to read up more have a look on Sharkwerks and Fabspeeds websites as they both advocate a different option and you can make your choice from there.

Here are a list of the weblinks to the most popular of these by pass pipes.

note if you are under a Porsche warranty you must seek their approval before buying this item , I have known them to be ok with this mod and may only exclude the exhaust from warranty but the rest is still good.

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-2-carrera-secondary-silencer-bypass

https://www.haywardandscott.com/por...7-gen-2-centre-silencer-replacement-pipe.html

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-2-carrera-center-muffler-bypass-x-pipe/

http://www.design911.co.uk//fu/prod...&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/mill...3-6-3-8-c2-c2-s-gts-09-12-rear-silencers.html

Thanks Phil. I can only add that a Hayward & Scott is not incompatible with a full aftermarket warranty. It's not like you've stuck a couple of hot cams into the engine... 8)

Phil, M8,

Thanks for the assistance in potentially spending more money :frustrated:

I've no real inclination to go for a full system, so based on a standard gen 2 exhaust, 3 questions...

1/By doing this is the sound comparible with the gundo hack?
2/Presuming bolts freed off, easy to swap out and return back to stock DIY?
3/ Why is the TG item so much Cheaper than the rest? [/b]

My bypass was done by these guys who are local to me.

https://www.cybox.co.uk/shop/?s=997

The bypass shown on the website is different to the one they made me though, mine is similar to the Sharkwerks one.

Sounds great with the PSE.

spongebob squarepants said:
Phil, M8,

Thanks for the assistance in potentially spending more money :frustrated:

I've no real inclination to go for a full system, so based on a standard gen 2 exhaust, 3 questions...

1/By doing this is the sound comparible with the gundo hack?
2/Presuming bolts freed off, easy to swap out and return back to stock DIY?
3/ Why is the TG item so much Cheaper than the rest? [/b]

Hi Mate, what me help spend everyone's money , I know not what ye means :grin: :grin: :D

to try and answer your questions

1/ IMO and its very personal but the bypass is a nicer note than the gundo and very easily put back to stock.
2/ ah I have already answered that lol , but yes assuming the bolts free easily its about an hour to swap back over.
3/ Top gear make these themselves, everythings in stock and the raw materials brought in large bulk at the right prices.
So you are effectivly buying from the manufacture so avoiding middle man mark up or custom made to order low volume production costs.and lastly UK based so not buying at the dollar price.
Topgear is the manufacturing arm for brands like Powerflow and Longlife Exhausts amongst others. They only do Exhausts unlike some of the others that dabble in other areas .

Due to them being the manufacturer they are able to stand behind their products and offer a life time you own the car warranty on their exhausts.

Bloody hell I sound like a sales rep for topgear :floor: but I have visited their facility a few times and liked what I saw the staff are happy and interested in what they do, and the way they treat their customers which is why I am happy to reccomend them it has nothing to do with the fact that one of the admin girls has lovely legs mmmmm well not much :floor: :floor:

Phil, a few numptie questions.

The Topgear pipe listing is for PDK, so is there a different pipe for manuals?

TG warn about tripping warning lights and recommend re-mapping, which puts the cost up (not to mention having to declare a mod for Insurance), is this typically the case or on rare occasions?

Are all of the solutions posted compatible with the PSE?

Morning Mark,
The bypass set up is the same for PDK and Manual no difference its just poor wording on the TG ad
TG put that warning on all of their ads its just a stock waiver and doesnt apply in the case of the bypass pipes , its straight plug and play no cels lights, no remap needed.
yes the bypass works with PSE and no PSE and many on here that have done the bypass with PSE say its the perfect sound , :thumb:

hope that helps mate dont forget if you do go with the TG bypass they are a forum sponsor and will give you 10% off the web price if you ask them Alex is the Sales Director there he will make sure your sorted :thumb: :thumb:

I bought the Sharkwerks off one of the members on here, for a Gen 2 Turbo.

It's the mutts!! No remapping, no intrusive drone in the cabin although there is a slight growl when you accelerate gently in 7th and it doesn't change down. My only gripe is the cost for what is basically 2 mtrs of hollow pipe!

Attachments

• 20170813_201429_581.jpg
    20170813_201429_581.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 5,874
Phil 997 said:
Morning Mark,
The bypass set up is the same for PDK and Manual no difference its just poor wording on the TG ad
TG put that warning on all of their ads its just a stock waiver and doesnt apply in the case of the bypass pipes , its straight plug and play no cels lights, no remap needed.
yes the bypass works with PSE and no PSE and many on here that have done the bypass with PSE say its the perfect sound , :thumb:

hope that helps mate dont forget if you do go with the TG bypass they are a forum sponsor and will give you 10% off the web price if you ask them Alex is the Sales Director there he will make sure your sorted :thumb: :thumb:

Good morning to you Phil; thanks for the very helpful information. Not quite pulling the trigger on modding yet, but this would probably at the top of the slippery slope :)

MarkC4S said:
Phil 997 said:
Morning Mark,

Good morning to you Phil; thanks for the very helpful information. Not quite pulling the trigger on modding yet, but this would probably at the top of the slippery slope :)

:floor: :floor: your welcome Mark, it is a great place to start as the DFI engine with or without PSE is not quite the sound we want from our 911 and the bypass pipes just make it right without going mad like I have and ending up with a" gates of hell opening" sound :grin: :grin: :thumb:

MaxA said:
Thanks Phil. I can only add that a Hayward & Scott is not incompatible with a full aftermarket warranty. It's not like you've stuck a couple of hot cams into the engine... 8)

Hi - Response from Porsche Leiciester - Specifically asked them about H&S bypass.

Thank you for your email.

My understanding is that any deviation from factory specification will void a warranty claim. While it might not affect certain area of the cars function it can be used as a way to void the warranty as you have made changes to the car. I can not recommend it being fitted but the decision lies with you.

Have a great day.

Kind Regards

David Flannagan
Sales Executive

Porsche Centre Leicester
7 Fletton Close
Thurmaston Lane
Leicester
LE4 9LP

arifg said:
That's interesting as I have read and heard so many differing views taken by OPCs re this mod , but Leicester OPC have clearly taken their stance on it. which is why I added the note on the bottom of my original post as it is a grey area so you need to check if you have a warranty before doing this addition.

I personally dont have a warranty as just about the only thing left on the car that's stock is the doors :grin: :grin: So I accept mine would fail 110 of the 111 point check for warranty . :floor: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
arifg said:
Hi - Response from Porsche Leiciester - Specifically asked them about H&S bypass.

Thank you for your email.

My understanding is that any deviation from factory specification will void a warranty claim. While it might not affect certain area of the cars function it can be used as a way to void the warranty as you have made changes to the car. I can not recommend it being fitted but the decision lies with you.

Have a great day.

Kind Regards

David Flannagan
Sales Executive

Porsche Centre Leicester

That's interesting as I have read and heard so many differing views taken by OPCs re this mod , but Leicester OPC have clearly taken their stance on it. which is why I added the note on the bottom of my original post as it is a grey area so you need to check if you have a warranty before doing this addition.

I personally dont have a warranty as just about the only thing left on the car that's stock is the doors :grin: :grin: So I accept mine would fail 110 of the 111 point check for warranty . :floor: :thumb:

Seems like a lazy and non-committal reply from the Sales Executive at OPC Leicester. As I see it, his reply means very little since it starts with "my understanding is..." - His understanding of the downforce of a Porsche's aerokit may be that it can drive upside-down in a tunnel at speed but that doesn't make it so. So, how about he trots along and digs out the warranty policy and answers the question properly.

While I expect most OPC's will say you can't do anything, I believe some people have been advised that some mod's are ok, but the parts in question obviously would not be covered nor would any parts affected by the mod (and of course Porsche would likely wriggle like hell to avoid paying). As an aside, I've tried to find the full warranty policy to have a good read and just cannot find it anywhere - the wording on the porsche website it pretty vague. Does anyone have the full policy wording? I'm at an OPC next week so will ask while I'm there.

I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.

FZP said:
I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.

I agree its in here somewhere sure it said that only the exhaust wouldnt be covered , I agree you may have to swap it back to renew as it would need to pass the 111 point check but then you just put it back on . Because they are all basically franchises they are going to have differing opinions as they do with prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back