Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Itchy feet

hot66 said:
Turbo is a very different car though, and not neccesarilly better

Actually absolutely agree there
Different beasts :thumb:
Neither better or worse.. but very different and down to personal preference

Before the 993, I owned a 964 C2 Targa for about 5 years.

There were a number of reasons I sold it.

Wobbly chassis. With the roof off there was a lot of scuttle shake that wasn't becoming of a sports car. Put me right off. It was better with the roof on.

Water leaks from the front seal of the roof in heavy prolonged rain. I'm sure this was fixable with new seals though.

Creaky noises from the roof. Once again, probably fixable but I never did it. It was a minor annoyance.

However there was a lot to love about the car.

The power delivery was superb, I preferred it to the 993, it seemed more natural compared to the varioram.

I preferred the sound of the engine. More traditional air cooled sound.

The handling was more fun at lower speed, very adjustable on the throttle.

But ultimately, it's a lot slower than the 993 both in a straight line and around the bends. My 993 has shorter gear ratios which helps.

The 993 has a lot less understeer, although that my have been knackered suspension on the 964.

I wouldn't be sorry to get in a 964 again, but it would have to be a coupe. In fact I was looking for one when I stumbled across the 993 that I own now.

Talking of a roving eye, I go through the same every few months as well, usually in V8 form.

A few months back it was an XK, more recently its the recent V8 twin turbo SL500 and then there are dreams of a V12V or an R8 V10. It never stops.

But I couldn't bear to part from the 993.

This week it's a 964 targa. I know it's a step backwards in terms of 911 evolution but I really like the look of that targa hoop and the thought of some semi-open air motoring this summer.

Tell me I'm wrong...[/quote]
I would be very careful. This time last year I had a deposit down on a nice 964 Targa with one of the better Indy's. this lasted 6 months while the car was fettled, mostly I suspect them trying to fix the roof.

When I took it for the long awaited test drive I was deafened by the noise from the roof at speeds over 50mph. The problem was previous repairs left the leading edge of the Targa roof sit above the windscreen

Deposit returned I bought my 993 C2 coupe (with sunroof).

Not a fan of the targa on the 964. It just looks like it belongs on a 911 from the 70s. 964 manual coupes are lovely but the targa is gash.

Zingari said:
I think you've nailed it chum with the 964 :thumb:

some 964s can be right old nails though :grin: :grin:

All of the above. They're cool looking in a vintage car kind of way. But to drive the targa would disappoint you after the 993. I almost bought one before my 964 C4 back in the day.. it was pretty awful by comparison to the coupe as the noise from the roof was just too much. Water ingress and scuttle shake... To drive in comparison to a 996 id take the 996 every time!

If you fancy a 964 great but the targa errmmmm no, unless it's to sit in your garage and be looked at I'd look elsewhere or keep the 993.

I'd love a 996 Turbo next... its wing, I really love the look of it's wing!

BK911 said:
All of the above. They're cool looking in a vintage car kind of way. But to drive the targa would disappoint you after the 993. I almost bought one before my 964 C4 back in the day.. it was pretty awful by comparison to the coupe as the noise from the roof was just too much. Water ingress and scuttle shake... To drive in comparison to a 996 id take the 996 every time!

If you fancy a 964 great but the targa errmmmm no, unless it's to sit in your garage and be looked at I'd look elsewhere or keep the 993.

I'd love a 996 Turbo next... its wing, I really love the look of it's wing!

I would concur with this, I spent 2 years deciding what to but and drove many 964s, 993s and 996s as I didn't want a modern grand touring car :floor:

The 964 feels like an old car to drive, 996 is the right size and a great drive but feels (to me) a bit cheap on the inside, 993 in the sweet spot

nickjonesn4 said:
I would concur with this, I spent 2 years deciding what to but and drove many 964s, 993s and 996s as I didn't want a modern grand touring car :floor:

The 964 feels like an old car to drive, 996 is the right size and a great drive but feels (to me) a bit cheap on the inside, 993 in the sweet spot

I agree my starting point for an aircooled was a 964, mainly for budget reasons (and i liked the look of the targa), but to me it just felt much too agricultural, esp for an occasional use car you would really get used to. the 993 turned out also for me to be the sweet spot.
J

pierrebear said:
Or...a 993 with a sun roof?

That's what I already have.

Leosayer said:
Before the 993, I owned a 964 C2 Targa for about 5 years.

There were a number of reasons I sold it.

Wobbly chassis. With the roof off there was a lot of scuttle shake that wasn't becoming of a sports car. Put me right off. It was better with the roof on.

Water leaks from the front seal of the roof in heavy prolonged rain. I'm sure this was fixable with new seals though.

Creaky noises from the roof. Once again, probably fixable but I never did it. It was a minor annoyance.

However there was a lot to love about the car.

The power delivery was superb, I preferred it to the 993, it seemed more natural compared to the varioram.

I preferred the sound of the engine. More traditional air cooled sound.

The handling was more fun at lower speed, very adjustable on the throttle.

But ultimately, it's a lot slower than the 993 both in a straight line and around the bends. My 993 has shorter gear ratios which helps.

The 993 has a lot less understeer, although that my have been knackered suspension on the 964.

I wouldn't be sorry to get in a 964 again, but it would have to be a coupe. In fact I was looking for one when I stumbled across the 993 that I own now.

Thanks, that's useful. Will definitely spend some time in one before I make the jump.

I had 964 C2 targa before I bought my 993. It was a daily driver and I really loved it. I bought it when the 964 was the unwanted child, I think I paid 13K.

If it was parked on an uneven surface it leaked something awful, I could not cure the leak, don't remember too much wind noise and it was great to drive with the roof off but the convertible novelty wore off for me and I started looking for a coupe, hence the 993

I really like the look of the 964 Targa and see the attraction, I recently saw one in my local Waitrose car park in a bronze colour all covered in snow salt and mud......... I thought it looked great!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back