Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Panamera or not to Panamera?

Shandythegreat

Hi all,

I used to have a 996 911, when it had a service I was given a Panamera courtesy car and absolutely loved it. I have a wife, 2 kids and a dog. We went everywhere in the 911, however a couple of years have passed and the kids have legs (going to be 6 & 4 this summer)

Do I go for a 997 C2S, or possibly a more sensible, newer, with all the toys Panamera for the same price........ Its my daily, but have a BMW 330d tourer for all the miles / mud / sandy places.

I know everything about the 911, but limited on Pano knowledge. Let me be your sponge :D

Is the V8 4S alot better than the V6? Should I entertain the Diesel as im a huge petrol head / already have a sensible diesel car.

What to look for, how reliable are they yada yada yada.

Huge thanks in advance :)

Andy

My chum has a Pana - albeit a diesel :roll:

I've driven a few but the best sounding and looking (bar the Turbo) is the V8 4S.

Build quality is rock solid, dictated by what extras are in it and somewhat sensitive to wheel size, colour and contrast with interior leather colours.

If you aint bothered about fuel costs, take the petrol if you are then take the diesel - It's an Audi Q7 lump with tiptronic g/box. Needs PDK which is THE best gearbox in the world and the tiptronic is ***** (well it was in my Cayenne).

Diesels seem to hold values but Porsche aint using any more diesel units so the Hybrid could be the dark horse :dont know:

They are however a HUGE car - width and length (oh yes Mrs) so take that into account

Try a 997, my kids are 8 & 10 and still fit. I'm 6'4" so there's not much room behind me. Wife doesn't generally come in the Porsche so it works for us. (My kids are tall as well)

If you don't have your seat all the way back on the rails and not in the lowest position, you should get a kid behind you. (Once their feet touch the floor they can tuck them under drivers seat - try taking out rear seat pad to help this).

I reckon you should try to enjoy a 911 for as long as possible. If you up-size now, you're shafted for the next 10 years at least.

I am tempted by an F10 M5 when I do have to admit defeat. £30k-ish

Thanks guys, its kind of what I was thinking to both of your responses.

I loved the Pano - yes its wide but drove far better than expected. Really light on the rear so could have alot of relatively low speed fun (compared to the 911).

However I sold my 435i M Sport + as i missed my 911 so much, now ended up in an M3 as there just arent any 997's to my spec around this winter. Thats what kind of annoyed me too, but I have to be persistent I guess.

I liked the comment about not upsizing too early - that seems like the nail on the head. ;) Especially now they are in booster seats they fit in the M3 behind me (6ft), I was trying to recall the space behind the seats and I think they are similar.

Ive looked at a couple of 997's, however now the itch is getting stronger I batted off the Mustang GT & M4.

911 it is then, thanks for the clarity :thumbs: Hate moments like this!

I was going to say, if you have a 330d as a family wagon, then you need a 997 in your life. Unless you sell the 330d and get the Panamera, which would be OK, if it has the ubercool split-rising rear spoiler, which I have an irrational love for.

My only other observation (how do I say this politely?) is that Panamera's don't seem to be driven by enthusiasts. :dont know: Maybe it's because my former tenant, a short, tubby and strange man, with no children or dog, or even girlfriend (she left) saw fit to trundle around in a 'mera, while steadfastly refusing to pay rent even remotely on time.

It might sound silly but if I wanted a fast saloon, I'd get an M5. You know where you are with an M5 driver. The farquar wouldn't have paid the rent at all... [/i]

Have a look at Trunki Boostapak for a booster seat. Narrow enough for 911 and doubles as a kids backpack.

:thumb:

MaxA said:
The farquar wouldn't have paid the rent at all... [/i]

HAHAHAHAHAHA :floor:

And Thank you for the booster seat heads up. I finally cracked it with the high back boosters, now to get the narrow base booster cushions too. That Trunki one looks ace :thumbs:

The V8 is waaaaaay better than the V6 (which is a serious disappointment to drive).

GTS would be superb, if you can stretch to one. I have an early Turbo, which is awesome. You might be surprised how much they've come down (hint: only a tiny bit more than a 4S.....). 550BHP with Sport Chrono over-boost.

Also have a 996 C2 and love them both, but whilst they are very different, the Panny truly has the great Porsche DNA, whilst being classy, rare, comfortable and (v.) quick. Seem to very rarely have problems, either.

if you love driving dont get the Diesel, the added weight just dulls the driving experience

as mentioned the performance of the V6 petrol is adequate

if you can't stretch to a GTS or Turbo then worth finding the RWD V8 S, very rare, excellent drive and the pick of the bunch

most spec's are pretty good, but air suspension is a must

Hybrid if you want the company car benefit, but real world driving mpg aint great

and if you find a car with the rear climate controls and rear heated seats, snap it up !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back