Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Approved Warranty

I'm pretty sure that the 90 day rule is there to make sure that non-OPC dealers are held accountable for the product they sell. Regardless of any third-party or in-house warranty dealers offer they also have a legal responsibility to put right any faults that occur in the short term.

b9boy should be able to sleep soundly for those 90 days and use them to weigh up whether the Porsche Warranty is his way forward.

Norfolk & Idea said:
........ That right there is the sticking point for me. You never actually own the car. You're not permitted to improve it.

And Demorts enlightening post would suggest it's not uniform to all customers. The nuisance whining types will be ok but not the quiet 'nice' guys.

Everyone to their own but I felt I owned my car from the day I bought it and nothing has changed in 3 years.

I don't know whether my OPC considers me to be a nuisance whining type or a quiet, nice guy but they always treat me with the respect I expect. Whenever I've felt there's an issue with my car I book it in, they investigate it and it comes back fixed.

Some examples for the record:

Whilst it was on the ramps for a free health check they pointed out to me a misting oil leak around my gearbox and said they'd sort it. As Porsche don't supply parts they ended up changing the box. I ran around in a 2 month old Boxster in the meantime.

When I had an intermittent spoiler issue that didn't show any fault codes they did all they could to replicate the issue and when they couldn't just replaced the whole wiring loom associated with that area of the car.

When I reported that my air-con didn't improve after a regas they replaced the compressor, took it upon themselves to health-check the whole car and told me of a slight misting of oil they had noticed around the oil cooler. They gave me a nearly new Macan for 9 days whilst they dropped the engine and investigated it. Whilst it was out they replaced the power steering reservoir.

I'd been issue free for 8 months/5k miles when my warranty expired recently but I didn't hesitate to renew it for another 2 years.

T8 is spot on ..

Almost every dealer used to put a warrenty on the cars and then sell it advertising the fact it had a Porsche warrenty.

They would pass responsibility over to the warrenty pretty much from day one .

Porsche put a stop to this with the 90 day rule .. and they wont do it sooner than 90 days reguardless .

The result was a huge drop in dealers putting warrentys on cars , most are now covered by the " third party " warrentys .

Ive been around them a lot of my working life ..

paper and written on spring to mind .. but then im a cynical old mechanic that spent 10 years working for second hand car sale garages .. what would i know ;)

So I was going to do a full write up of my experience of going down this road, and I still will, but here's my brief experience so far.....

OPC Chester - The coffee is very nice :D
I bought my car from an Indy dealer but with no warranty at all, my BIL is a complete petrolhead with 25 years experience of working in the motor trade and he said forget about the dealer warranty it's not worth a fig, and you have some cover with consumer rights if it all goes completly tits up.

I took the car for an MOT last month @ OPC Chester, all passed, and they completed their standard OPC health check for me and cleaned the car inside and out. All very effective and good comms to let me know what was happening £56.50 to you sir !
They have quoted me for the 111 point check and the 2 year warranty (£1950) and I will book it in next week for the week after.
Also they provided me with a copy of a Cayman 111 point check as a sample of what to expect, I'm thinking half the things got checked off by standard health check they did for free anyway. So I'm not expecting any failures.

When I bought the car I bargained down the price a little, I paid top money, but my price reduction more than covers all those new bills, I'm aware of so far.
For me the car is in part an investment i.e. I would like to think I could sell it in a few years for very little less than I paid for it or if I'm lucky cover my costs. But even after bagging myself an amazing family deal with BMW my lease on my last car still cost £8k in payments, so I'm thinking I know what car seat I'd rather be in for possibly less money :thumbs:

T8 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
........ That right there is the sticking point for me. You never actually own the car. You're not permitted to improve it.

And Demorts enlightening post would suggest it's not uniform to all customers. The nuisance whining types will be ok but not the quiet 'nice' guys.

Everyone to their own but I felt I owned my car from the day I bought it and nothing has changed in 3 years.

I don't know whether my OPC considers me to be a nuisance whining type or a quiet, nice guy but they always treat me with the respect I expect. Whenever I've felt there's an issue with my car I book it in, they investigate it and it comes back fixed.

Some examples for the record:

Whilst it was on the ramps for a free health check they pointed out to me a misting oil leak around my gearbox and said they'd sort it. As Porsche don't supply parts they ended up changing the box. I ran around in

I'd been issue free for 8 months/5k miles when my warranty expired recently but I didn't hesitate to renew it for another 2 years.

Christ, no wonder you're renewing your warranty. Did you SORN through winter? Might explain your lucky run :)

Norfolk & Idea said:
Christ, no wonder you're renewing your warranty. Did you SORN through winter? Might explain your lucky run :)

:grin:

The gearbox replacement I referred to above took place in June 2015 at 50.559 miles.

That one was replaced with another (for the same reason) in March 2017 at 59.886 miles.

I thought it prudent to renew until March 2019 .... just in case. :grin:

T8 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

:grin:

The gearbox replacement I referred to above took place in June 2015 at 50.559 miles.

That one was replaced with another (for the same reason) in March 2017 at 59.886 miles.

I thought it prudent to renew until March 2019 .... just in case. :grin:

In your case it's been golden! I'd be renewing religiously too. Happy Spring motoring :thumb:

I suspect that in the above cases the gearbox itself was fine. A good Indy would have fixed it for a much lower cost. People with the warranty say how many £k it has saved, but without the warranty they simply would not have spent anything close. It is all about Porsche's reluctance to fix rather than swap which makes the warranty look good and the cars expensive to run.
Noisy cam follower, new engine. Weeping gearbox gasket, new gearbox. Nonsense.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I suspect that in the above cases the gearbox itself was fine. A good Indy would have fixed it for a much lower cost. People with the warranty say how many £k it has saved, but without the warranty they simply would not have spent anything close. It is all about Porsche's reluctance to fix rather than swap which makes the warranty look good and the cars expensive to run.
Noisy cam follower, new engine. Weeping gearbox gasket, new gearbox. Nonsense.

MC

You are absolutely correct MC. If I didn't have a warranty I would have left the original slightly misting box in situ and I bet I wouldn't have noticed any problems in its operation even now. If I had chosen to get it fixed 9e assured me that they would have done a total repair for under £1500.

As it stands I'm about even on other things that my warranty has cost me AND I have a gearbox that's only done 7k miles in my 11 year old car.

Fingers crossed I'll never experience an engine issue but if I do I doubt that a technodunce like me would ever get anything fixed for less than the £2k I've just spent on my next 2 years peace of mind.

Just for ref ..

Tiptronic gearboxes can leak at the rear , x2 gaskets .

At OPC there was no instructions for replacing these or indeed even parts available so its a new box .

At indys we can sorce the gaskets and replace them so a cheaper repair .

The question is .. Porsche could well source the gaskets , give the OPC,s the instructions and they could repair it .. why dont they :?:

Ive no idea why not as it seems the best solution to me .

Similar on PDK boxes .. no parts available to repair them so its a new box .

reguards engine problems though .. if Porsche could save £1 on a full rebuild over a replacement then they do .. OPC,s tend to prefer a replacement .. quick job and out the door .. cant say what happens there can i :)

Hi guys, resureccting an old thread here but I have a few questions re OPC extended warranty and hope some of you may be able to help.

I bought my car 18 months ago with a OPC two year warranty. At present I have had no warranty issues. The car went in for a major service last November and everything was given the all clear minus the battery which was replaced by the OPC. Now I am Looking to keep the car for the foreseeable future, just wanted some help on renewal of the warranty.

1. At the time of renewal does the car need to go through a 111 inspection again? If so will the cost of this inspection fall on me?
2. If there are any issues that need to be fixed will these be fixed under the current warranty before renewal?

AMS911 said:
1. At the time of renewal does the car need to go through a 111 inspection again? If so will the cost of this inspection fall on me?

2. If there are any issues that need to be fixed will these be fixed under the current warranty before renewal?

1. Yes. The car will need a 111 point inspection. The 'official' cost is £216 incl' VAT but this can be negotiated and would certainly be reduced if you were having a service done at the same time.

Note: If you take out a 24 month extension it not only costs less than 2 x 12 months you also don't need a 111 point inspection in the middle.

2. If items that are covered by the warranty are found they will be replaced under your existing warranty. If consumable items need replacing you will need to get them done to pass the 111 point check.

Thank you for the quick response, I've still a few months to decide but will most likely be extending the warranty.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back