Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audio advice for a novice

motivator

Hi,
I have a standard speaker package which i have just replaced the speakers, so have the front mid range and mini tweeters with a crossover. At the back i have single mid range on each side.
The head unit is a Blaupunkt, but doesn't have enough power.
I am thinking about an amp and noticed that at the back of the head unit there are more red and white phono connections and they also appear in the front by the spare wheel.
What i would like to know is
1. how many channels should the amp have 2 or 4
2. i can only see 1 pair of phono's under the front edge or the bonnet, is that likely to be something unrelated to the audio
3. will the amp need its own power supply

thanks

The phonos in the frunk are most likely for a CD changer. You will get ample power to drive the speakers without an amp if you use a Becker (ebay),Continental (Tore B) or Porsche Classic radio.
I use a Becker Cascade in the 993 and a Porsche Classic in the 944 though I'd rather listen to the engine in the 993 or BB King in the 944.

Endoman,
Thanks for the response. I think I have been the master of my own downfall here. The car went in for MOT and failed on exhaust silencer, so I opted to have it replaced with Dansk Sport sound, which makes the engine sound fantastic, but now drowns out the stereo':dont know:'

I agree the engine is what you should listen to, but sometimes I like a little Rock or Soul 8)

Thanks for the pointer on the CD changer, that makes sense, I could use that lead for the amp and just add another one.

My head unit has 4x50watts, which is pretty good, but I think it needs more.

I run a Fabspeed de-cat system and most of my soundproofing has been removed so the radio gets little use. The 944 is much quieter and I can actually hear the radio in that. I used to have Dansk sport silencers they do sound nice.

Depends really on how loud you want the stereo and what speakers you have replaced them with.
If the speakers are rated 150W plus then you probably need an amp to get them driven properly. they can be fitted under the seat, as can a sub, but see we are starting on the slippery slope!
I have a version one Porsche classic head unit with replacement 250W morel speakers and a 2 channel 150W amp. I decided not to fit a sub.

jhrfc said:
Depends really on how loud you want the stereo and what speakers you have replaced them with.
If the speakers are rated 150W plus then you probably need an amp to get them driven properly. they can be fitted under the seat, as can a sub, but see we are starting on the slippery slope!
I have a version one Porsche classic head unit with replacement 250W morel speakers and a 2 channel 150W amp. I decided not to fit a sub.

Hi, I have Hertz energy speakers, max 225W front woofers and 120W rear mid range. I don't want to fit a sub, but I think I need a 4 channel to get the best out of it?

I am going to have a better look at the wiring today, if it doesn't rain and I can get the top down?

Yes, 4 channel amp might improve things, but the 993 is limited by it's speaker sizes and locations, I had decent ones running off a good head unit in my old 993 vert and it was OK, but only OK. You d need a small sub even an under seat job to get a full sound, I would try this first before bothering with an amp. Also consider functionality you want from your head unit as this might be the time to think about an upgrade on this front as better sound quality and power could be had. I imagine the blaupunkt is going to be 4x50 total power, not 4x50 rms which is a different kettle of fish

asterix_the_gaul said:
Yes, 4 channel amp might improve things, but the 993 is limited by it's speaker sizes and locations, I had decent ones running off a good head unit in my old 993 vert and it was OK, but only OK. You d need a small sub even an under seat job to get a full sound, I would try this first before bothering with an amp. Also consider functionality you want from your head unit as this might be the time to think about an upgrade on this front as better sound quality and power could be had. I imagine the blaupunkt is going to be 4x50 total power, not 4x50 rms which is a different kettle of fish

Asterix, yes the head unit is 4x22rms, however I did buy it only a couple of years ago because of the functions, which really suit what I was looking for.

I can see that you can get the Becker units, but not sure if they have enough power to negate needing an amp?

If you are still using the small rear speakers in the cab then a 4 channel amp is prob best, you'd want to drive those separately to the bigger fronts.
I disconnected my rears in my cab and use a 2 channel amp.
Maybe one day I'll fit a sub, but in a 90s cab to me it doesn't feel right.
J

You'd need to be a real masochist to want to listen to the 'sound' of a 993
engine rather than some form of music. Even a podcast would be more
welcome than the tyre roar present on an unavoidable motorway jaunt. The standard audio is beyond poor. You need component speakers, an amp (4 channel) and a subwoofer (self amped- under Seat look best) you also really want some form of Becker head unit. They look better than the Porsche classic HU as they are genuinely period.

If you vaguely enjoy listening to music it makes sense to optimise your equipment. I experienced the M4 today en route to Porsche Spa. Very heavy Easter traffic. My family don't much care for my taste in music, so being able to crank the audio loud to my own playlist is quite therapeutic. You wouldn't short change your bodywork or air con, so why compromise on a pre 2000 factory audio set up

motivator said:
Asterix, yes the head unit is 4x22rms, however I did buy it only a couple of years ago because of the functions, which really suit what I was looking for.

I can see that you can get the Becker units, but not sure if they have enough power to negate needing an amp?

No, you are right, if you are happy with your recent head unit, at 22rms on that, the Becker's are not going to be any more powerful, so amp or sub (or both 😀) it is.

If you are asking the question, you probably already know what you want ;-)

Sub under driver seat. Amp inside spare wheel. The Becker has the advantage that Steve and the Illuminati won't cast you into the pits of hell, I think I've only got a Kenwood now to annoy them 👿 (plus, it really does work better with a phone, don't believe them).

My car's audio journey:

Sony -> Kenwood -> Becker

It has arrived.

Whilst I do agree about the sound of the car being my own personal favourite listening pleasure when out for a drive.

In my wifes' Boxster she found that the stereo just plain got lost in the wind noise and exhaust at anything over 40mph.
I upgraded the speakers with some Alpine dual cones and that did clean up the sound quite a bit but that was probably down to more suitable materials and much more youthful cones than the 10 year old ones that came out.

She is very keen to keep the dashboard looking standard and wasn't keen to replace the head unit.

So for the next step I fitted one on these, after seeing it demonstrated at a car show http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-ksc-sw11-compact-under-seat-150w-active-sub.

It really gave the system a very useful lift for a modest investment and simple, discreet installation.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back