Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

North coast 500

Keith, we did it 18 months ago. Many must see locations but basically, however you do it, it is fantastic. Can chat about it on Sunday.

Did it a couple of years ago on my motorbike. Its fantastic with breathtaking views and decent beer along the way!

You should keep an eye open for bikes, in June there are going to be many.

Enjoy. :thumb:

I've booked up to do it in June which I guess is one of the busiest times judging by how some B&B's were full. How bad is the traffic likely to be in reality - enought to spoil the driving experience and does it make any difference if you drive it anti-clockwise? Thx.

Usually do it once or twice a year, but as popularity grows the availability of accommodation drops each year it seems.
Also as previously mentioned, plod are getting wise to it now...

:?:

The positive comments on here confirm just how good it is up there.

However rather than the "NC500" I prefer the "NW350 + The Cairngorms". By that I mean go up the North West coast but instead of heading to the North East cut across to Inverness and enjoy the roller coaster roads through the Cairngorms. The North East is ok but the roads and scenery are nothing like as good as elsewhere.

The Cairngorms are very different to the North West coast but equally brilliant. Less craggy scenery with fewer tight twisty roads but rolling hills and lots of open flowing stretches.

Avoid school hols if you can. May is the best time of year - fewer people, generally dry (I've only had 1 wet day in lots of visits) and no midgies.

If you need any help with places to stay or routes then let me know.

Cheers,
L'rs

Longers said:
The positive comments on here confirm just how good it is up there.

However rather than the "NC500" I prefer the "NW350 + The Cairngorms". By that I mean go up the North West coast but instead of heading to the North East cut across to Inverness and enjoy the roller coaster roads through the Cairngorms. The North East is ok but the roads and scenery are nothing like as good as elsewhere.

The Cairngorms are very different to the North West coast but equally brilliant. Less craggy scenery with fewer tight twisty roads but rolling hills and lots of open flowing stretches.

Avoid school hols if you can. May is the best time of year - fewer people, generally dry (I've only had 1 wet day in lots of visits) and no midgies.

If you need any help with places to stay or routes then let me know.

Cheers,
L'rs

As you say lots of positives here .... im all for experiencing the best driving roads , i will plan my route carefully on google earth , tempted to stay somewhere nice but at the same time camping has its attractions for me.

A group of us are planning to do it at the end of the season, late September anyone done this time of year??

Yes, late September before the end of the season can be pretty good if you get the weather for it!
Usually better rates for accommodation too if it's out of holiday time too.

Clanky said:
Yes, late September before the end of the season can be pretty good if you get the weather for it!
Usually better rates for accommodation too if it's out of holiday time too.
Cheers, I've done the west coast for work and know it's a beautiful part of the world :thumb:

Just to add some balance OP. The West coast vs East coast thing is subjective. I stuck to the coast road as best I could up to Aberdeen as the A9 between Dundee and Aberdeen is dull as. Though still with the odd bit of scenery those down south can only dream of.

Same from Aberdeen to Inverness. I stuck to the coast road and really enjoyed the views over the North Sea. I even stumbled upon a lighthouse museum in Fraserburgh.

The road from Fraserburgh to Inverness via Pennan, Banff and Macduff I also enjoyed. Sure they're more populated than the west but I still had fun.

Out of Inverness and up to John O'groats was a road I really enjoyed. Even though it was misty and rain soaked when I did it. From Wick to John O'groats was sublime. With the bleakest landscape I've ever seen. But I did it st a decent whip. While the stretch across the top from John O'groats to Bettyhill via Thurso was terrific.

Not as deserted and striking as the west, true, but lovely in its own way.

But that's the thing about taste, it is highly subjective. Hope you enjoy your tour whichever route you take :thumbs:

I agree with Paul in that the A90 Dundee to Aberdeen road is not the best driving road - ave. speed cams etc. I would take the road to Fettercairn from Lawrencekirk and head over the Cairn O Mount towards Huntly and pop out at Portsoy which has a very scenic harbour - have some Cullen Skink for lunch and continue along the coast route to Inverness....sorted.

Not missing much from a driving perspective by missing Aberdeen - Peterhead - Fraserburgh especially with the on-going AWPR

I am off to do it anti clockwise starting this Sunday.

Planning on a 7 day trip with some visiting and hill walking whilst I am at it.

Done it before on my push bike.

It is a trip that I would say not to give it much of a second thought as you could not be disappointed.

I did the nc500 in the middle of october 2016. We did it over 5 days and the weather was great and it was very quiet.

5 days including travelling up and down from nottingham was pushing it, we had a couple of days where we drove several hours in the dark but I also did fit in a 4 hour sprint up and down ben nevis on the last morning.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience. Ride magazine have constructed a south coast 500 that starts and ends at folkstone that I will be having a go at later this year.

Brilliant trip this is. I'd recommend doing the old military road towards Balmoral before heading over to Aviemore and then Loch Ness. You can do a great drive around here before arriving at Inverness. Check out Henry Catchpoles Old Military Road video on YouTube.

Attachments

• img_1424_987.jpg
    img_1424_987.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 3,165

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back