Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fastest accelerating Porsche models

MisterCorn said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
MisterCorn said:
Unless you are using the absolute top of the range kit with inertial sensors and GNSS you won't get accurate results. The cheap ones are invariably optimistic as they all miss the start. If you use a GPS only system add 0.3-0.4 seconds as a starting point. Some time from 0.5km/h, others at higher speeds and extrapolate backwards. Neither method works well.

MC

That's not my experience of timing. I'm not saying you're talking bollox, it just flies in the face of what I've experienced.
I used a stand alone Aim GPS and recorded 0-60 at 3.16. When I attended a Vmax event MB timing clocked me at 3.02. I'd imagine MB timing was the more accurate method. Whatever that is :dont know:

What was the MB timing using? I went to a well known German manufacturer and ran our INS+GNSS system against their 'official' system. It routinely measured 0.3-0.4s longer. It was always at the start. He asked for an explanation. I told him either mine was right, or it knew what he was about to do....
Pretty much nobody gives accurate figures. It isn't in their interest. Not used for any safety figures or homologation, just for magazine and bragging rights. We even added a start trigger mode to replicate what other people do so that manufacturers are happier. They use our kit for brake testing where it does matter. They want to use the same kit for both. Rolling start figures will always be more consistent as there are no jerk rates to take in to account, GPS only handles that much better.

MC

Interesting stuff. Don't know what system MB timing were using. Is your start point triggered by breaking a beam? To me that's the only valid 'start' reference. How an accurate 60mph is captured in a given time, I'm not sure.
Anyhow- for pub purposes, I'm taking the 3.02 :grin:

Nought to sixty and nought to a hundred times have always seemed a bit subjective to me. What equipment do they use at the drag strip to time the quarter mile?

MaxA said:
Nought to sixty and nought to a hundred times have always seemed a bit subjective to me. What equipment do they use at the drag strip to time the quarter mile?

They use light barriers. But then you have the rollout, the distance from when you start until you break the barrier, which can be up to a foot. This is very significant in acceleration times.

MC

T8 said:
3.9 seconds from the CGT = very impressive

Is it though? My A45 AMG will match that.

I don't reckon 3.9 is right for the GT. The Big Mac F1 did 3.2 and I know it was 1,100kg but I don't expect the GT weighs tons more than that.

If you'll excuse the pun.

I have to agree with a previous comment about 0-62 figures being a headline grabber rather than that of real world performance. A lot of these superfast times are down to software optimising gearbox and wheel slip for maximum performance.
For the vast majority of owners, I'd imagine that they rarely do a full blast from a dead stop. Perhaps those with PDK may do more than manual cars. On many a spirited drive messing with 500bhp cars like AMG's and R8's that, I've found that it's not until you get into triple figures that they start to walk away, up until then it's much of a muchness as they inch away.

MaxA said:

Agreed. I just wanted to have a dig about with performance figures purely out of curiosity. I did a Vmax event to see if my car could mix it with the big boys. My investigations confirmed my car is very quick. I'm totally uninterested in any more poke.
Any future mods for me will be chassis based.

Interesting , entertaining video👌👌

The GT2 RS is my personal favourite .......

Saw one in the metal the other day , Red, black, carbon Weissach pack ......
Easily the most beautiful 911 ever ( imo)

I think I would sell all to get on the list for one of these!!!!!

Until then I'll have to slum it with my 'S'....

911TEL said:
Interesting , entertaining video👌👌

The GT2 RS is my personal favourite .......

Saw one in the metal the other day , Red, black, carbon Weissach pack ......
Easily the most beautiful 911 ever ( imo)

I think I would sell all to get on the list for one of these!!!!!

Until then I'll have to slum it with my 'S'....

I was in my OPC today and a lucky customer was picking up his silver GT2RS. They do look rather amazing don't they? And what a sound! Very naughty...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back