Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reliable V8 estate - what should I buy?

Nice find... I just read that only 50 estates were imported.

Is it a 6 or 5 speed box?

Probably two more than it needs with all that torque!

I'm a recent convert to M-B... very impressed.

This is my first one, I will admit that I ended up here by putting the following parameters into Autotrader:

Estate body
Petrol
Automatic gearbox
Engine size above 4.0 litres
Mileage below 80,000
Price below £15,000

And then seeing what the most interesting cars that were presented were.

I almost went for an E55, but the seller of the C55 was a really nice chap which tipped me that way.

Dammit said:
I have to say that I am enjoying this car.

:thumb:

Looks a beast!

Osh

I think I'm cursed, just got the AMG looked over by DDR in Surrey - £3,600 and that's not including oil and filter. *****.

Water pump has slight play, £534.96
Bleed nipples on front calipers - NSF snapped off, OSF heavily corroded, £291.54
NSR spring broken, req 2 new springs, £338.40
OSF ARB link gaitor split, req new link, £86.58
Both torque strut bushes torn, req 2 new bushes £263.28
O/S engine mount has leaked out oil, req 3 x mounts, £572.80
Rear discs corroded, req discs and pads £287.66
All clamps and connections on exhaust corroded, £103.26
NS rocker cover leaking, req new gasket £169.26
Rear main leaking, £666.66
Front door check straps req replacement £281.22

That's the total list, £3,600 plus whatever oil and filter will be.

Having paid for the new roof and the balance of the bodywork on the 996 this month I have to admit to being a little short, so might get just this done this month - thoughts chaps?

NSR spring broken, req 2 new springs, £338.40
OSF ARB link gaitor split, req new link, £86.58
Both torque strut bushes torn, req 2 new bushes £263.28
O/S engine mount has leaked out oil, req 3 x mounts, £572.80
Rear discs corroded, req discs and pads £287.66
NS rocker cover leaking, req new gasket £169.26
Total £1,717.98

The other thing is that I suspect the rocker leak and RMS are symptoms of a blocked crankcase breather - thoughts on this also appreciated.

Some of those prices are a joke. You have your list, show it to someone who won't pull your pants down. Source the parts yourself and a acquire a decent mechanic to do the work.

I hate seeing people get spanked. :evil:

Those will be Mercedes parts, the cost of labour in there is (for this area) pretty good I think.

For example the RMS is £666 - and that's down as 7.5 hours of work.

The £666 is parts, labour and VAT.

So I don't think these are rip off prices, but certainly the total bill is a) unexpected and b) comes on top of ~£3,000 on the 996 this month.

I should have bought a lottery ticket, clearly.

£291 to have a pair of nipples removed is a con.

That's fluid drained, calipers off, taken to machine shop, old nipples drilled out and new fitted, then calipers back on and refilled/bled.

Dammit said:
That's fluid drained, calipers off, taken to machine shop, old nipples drilled out and new fitted, then calipers back on and refilled/bled.
I agree that's too steep for a couple of broken nipples. A decent mechanic shouldn't be scared by broken nipples and be capable of drilling them out and tapping for new ones - but some mechanics would argue that's venturing into engineering!! Also, unless specifically requested, I'm not convinced they'd drain the fluid - simply clamp the hoses and then bleed after re-fitting. And given the fact that DDR's website specifically lists "Brake Repairs" as one of the services they offer, surely they've seen broken nipples a thousand times before and seriously can't be subbing out basic drilling and tapping... :nooo: That alone would make me question every other item on the list and at least seek a second opinion!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back