Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auto lights wipers

asterix_the_gaul

Barcelona
The rest of the fleet have these,
I know there is an auto wipers retrofit kit from Porsche part number 99661298100 which I'm less interested in, however I retrofitted auto lights to the wife's golf: a new light switch with a light sensor on a wire: is there anything like this for the 996? Imagine there would be an aftermarket kit?

Auto lights would be quite handy, not that turning the lights on is a great inconvenience haha, but I can't say I've heard or seen anything like that for our cars.

Lewis

Auto lights can actually wear out Xenon bulbs, apparently (turning off/on more often).

Also, just man up and do your own lights/wipers - this is an analogue sports car forum, not a Jaguar-owners' club site :hand:

OK, whatever, I'm sure you can retrofit a cranking handle to your 996 instead Of The starter motor that should give you a real analogue feel to your sportscar too

asterix_the_gaul said:
OK, whatever, I'm sure you can retrofit a cranking handle to your 996 instead Of The starter motor that should give you a real analogue feel to your sportscar too

Don't forget the man with the red flag!

EGTE said:
Auto lights can actually wear out Xenon bulbs, apparently (turning off/on more often).

Also, just man up and do your own lights/wipers - this is an analogue sports car forum, not a Jaguar-owners' club site :hand:

I don't drive any of my cars enough to wear anything out, least of all the headlights. There are things I like having the option of auto. Lights and wipers are basically it. That said the wipers invariably annoy me by not being on exactly when I want them. The best ones I had were on a Touareg, I swear they were telepathic.

MC

I actually really like the degree of nerdy precision you can bring to wiper frequency via the rheostat knob, it's a real feature of the car. I like that this is so very manual.

On the other hand, I'd be fine with the lights turning themselves on when needed.

Dammit said:
I actually really like the degree of nerdy precision you can bring to wiper frequency via the rheostat knob, it's a real feature of the car. I like that this is so very manual.

On the other hand, I'd be fine with the lights turning themselves on when needed.

If only the rain would stay as constant, every time it rains lightly, I miss the automatic wipers on my Alfa 166

Mike

Dammit said:

I agree! With the auto wipers, the same knob controls the sensitivity. They work well.

Not sure about auto lights... not found any which seem to understand foggy conditions. An auto light you have to turn on yourself occasionally seems to rather defeat the object...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back