Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gundo Hack or PSE

badbox

I have a 4s Gen 2 with stock exhaust.

Who prefers the gundo sound compared to a PSE.

Has anyone had either done and comments on either or both sounds are appreciated

I was happy with my Gen 1 carrerea 4S with the PSE unplugged from the engine bay(gives slightly more sound then when valves arew just opened)
Gundo is 300-500 where as PSE is 1700-1800 but then you have selectable options

Can't help with noise preferences I'm afraid but I will be purchasing the switchable exhaust system for my 997.1 4S from Top Gear. Their 997.2 equivalent is currently £950 less a 20% discount currently available through the group buy thread on here so £760. :thumbs:

On the Gen 2 you need to remove the centre silencer with a suitable bypass first. Then look at doing the rest of the exhaust. I have Sharkwerks bypass and PSE.

Type the word gundo into the 'Search Forum' function [top right of your screen] and you'll get dozens of thread to read on the subject.

eg. ==> This One

badbox said:
I have a 4s Gen 2 with stock exhaust.

Who prefers the gundo sound compared to a PSE.

Has anyone had either done and comments on either or both sounds are appreciated

I was happy with my Gen 1 carrerea 4S with the PSE unplugged from the engine bay(gives slightly more sound then when valves arew just opened)
Gundo is 300-500 where as PSE is 1700-1800 but then you have selectable options

I have a 997.1 C4S with a factory fitted switchable PSE and I must admit that although it is on 90% + of the time, it is good to be able to switch it off for very long runs. If you are considering a lot of motorway miles or European trips you might want to get rid of the "hum" at some point.

The gundo hack is the same as the PSE without the switchable valve.
They should sound damn near the same.

I've had my last 2 x 911's Gundo's and I'm currently waiting for Paul to come and work his magic on my cabriolet.

Paul is a Top man, well known in the industry and charges £250 for the lot (new SS Bolts etc). If you tell him Les from Brighton sent you and he might make me an extra cuppa next time I see him ;-)

http://www.exhaustmods.co.uk/porsche-911-996-977

First thing on a gen2 has to be the third muffler delete , Haywood and Scott or Sharkwerks , See how you go with that if you want more and the ability to open and close it your options are

1/ £2000 for an OE PSE thats does the job and is also as heavy and restrictive as your current set up
or
2/ A light sports stainless steel valved exhaust at half the price adds more sound and more bhp is lighter more efficient at doing the job has not been compromised by beancounters and eco regs.carries a lifetime you own the car warranty (if buying the topgear option), need I continue :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:
3/ gundo , does the job and is cheap but is not valve controlled

In my opinion a Gen2 needs centre bypass AND Gundo to sound anything like a gen1 with PSE. That would be £700ish fitted, so comparable to a top gear system (before fitting). Best bet is to listen to other cars in person and decide.

Personally I like centre bypass and gundo.

Les said:
Paul is a Top man, well known in the industry and charges £250 for the lot

Paul will be in Kent on Saturday working his magic :bandit:

James M-S said:
In my opinion a Gen2 needs centre bypass AND Gundo to sound anything like a gen1 with PSE. That would be £700ish fitted, so comparable to a top gear system (before fitting). Best bet is to listen to other cars in person and decide.

So the centre bypass is the sharkwerks option, then a gundo or a pse right?

If gundao what size should the pipe be, 1 1/4 or 2"?

badbox said:
James M-S said:

So the centre bypass is the sharkwerks option, then a gundo or a pse right?

If gundao what size should the pipe be, 1 1/4 or 2"?

sharkwerks or haywood and scott for the centre bypass and gundo 1.5" or 1.75" seems to be the preffered option :thumb:

https://www.haywardandscott.com/por...7-gen-2-centre-silencer-replacement-pipe.html

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

The very first thing I did was fit a H&S centre silencer replacement pipe, even with PSE it was far too muted, still believe my old 996 sounded far better.

The centre pipe certainly makes the GenII more vocal and slightly less weight out the back is always a good thing.

Miltek also do a version of the bypass.

Here is my h&s being fitted.

Silencer bypass is the way to go, quite a quick install and the part is pretty cheap.

You can scale up from there if that doesn't quite give you enough Gundo :). £250 shipped including VAT from us with the group buy offer currently on for forum members.

Won't flood the topic, plenty of great suggestions in the thread already. PM me if of any interest :thumb:

Well you learn something every day , I didnt know topgear did a gen2 rear silencer bypass :dont know: £250 with the group buy discount, thats a no brainer . it finishes on the 24th so dont hang about. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back