Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

06 plate 3.8 997 stage one remap

Mmmm one thing I keep toying with is a remap on my Gen 1.

I have a Eurocup Dual intake system to fit first.

Remap for the cost is it worth it for a potential messed up engine?

I have read lots of threads on the forum and it is very mixed. :dont know:

Frenchmeister said:
I know that car.........Adam !
Who did the paint ?
Went kks in the end they were cheaper they fitted the front grill & they did the wings
Also they did the undercoat black so any stone chips won't show up as much

apollokre1d said:
proctor44 said:
Looking at getting stage 1 remap done on my 997 but have no idea where to take it or if it will do the engine any good.
The car aready has lower water temp switch and a few other things done to it
Any help thanks

See this thread :thumbs:
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=123447
Thanks
Sounds like i need to get a few more upgrades for it before i get it remapped

Heres my 2p gents
Gen 1,
I am talking about affordable and quite straight foreward mods clearly fitting a blower will do a lot more but its 10k and uprating other bits as well .

biggest single wins are fitting a IPD GT3 TB/Plen which will need a remap to bring it together , yes it will run without one and the car will relearn some of the paramiters but your fitting this mod to get wins and your missing a big one by not remaping it
second biggest win 200cell cats either straght of xpipe , cat bypass will fail mots and the very slight gain for going 100cell over the hastle of getting an MOT on it are just are not worth it.

the induction hose resinator blank with a BMC make the car breath more freely gives a nice note at full hoon the BHP gains on their own are not enough to do the mod just for that, but combined with the other things its important to do as your basically aiming to get more air in and quicker gas out .

These are the simplest things the factory did when restricting the Carreras for several reasons 1/ to pass all the international Eco laws 2/ to stop the Carrera performing too close to its flagship models 3/ the beancounters force compromises when trying to get the car to the desired pricepoint .

Most of us are fast road drivers and occational track days , So the wins we want are slightly different to the track cars, we want the gains in the low mid range which is where we spend most of our time and improvements there are more important than MAX BHP .

There are other things like fitting a 4" underdrive pulley , fitting a sprint booster on a tip car that will also make it an improved drivers car the big win for the underdrive is not the redirected unused energy to the back wheels but for me it was the slight increase in wieght of the power steering made a huge difference to confidence as the 997.1 steering is very light. The sprint booster for a tip just keeps the box in alive mode as the tip box has the ability to learn your driving style and if your in town etc it adopts a lazy style , a quick kickdown will reset it, but it soons gets lazy again the sprint booster goes a long way to overcoming that by making the car think your driving it harder than you actually are.

The mods for the gen2 are similar and for similar gains but have to be done slightly differently e.g. an extra muffler on the gen2 and the cats are connected as a single unit to the headers.

Remaps , DONT go and get a £299 generic off the shelf map they are ok, but its better if you spend £500/600 and get a custom live map from a mapper that it taking into account you ,your driving style, what your looking to achieve, and any mods you have fitted.

remember this important piece if info MOST people that say all these things are a waste of time HAVE NEVER DONE THEM and they are just making assumptions or have done the wrong mod for the wrong reasons .

Mods is such a broad subject and If anyone wants a bit more detail on a specific mod please ask . Each mod brings something different to the party and some on there own like eg the induction hose will bring something but if your fitting it for the wrong reason you may be underwhelmed, for instance purely that mod and expecting big performance gains will leave you dissapinted ,doing it as part of a group of mods for performance gains is a must. If like me you just wanted to do that mod because the car in its stock form sounded so wheezy and stiffled and you just want to hear the car breathing like it should so much more freely and get a nice industion hown when pushing on. then its
a good mod to do just on its own , personally I think its the first thing anyone with a carrera should do its £150 inc the BMC filter and so worth spending the money on.

I hope that helps :thumb: :thumb:

Note, on the gen1 and ideally the gen2 before spending money on performance mods I highly reccomend you ensure you have taken the basic risk minimising advise to protect the car the best we can e.g.. fit an LTT, look at what oil your using versus you motors mileage etc , change it at 10k or annually min . warm the car up fully before hooning ,

Lastly get out there and bloody well enjoy driving these cars :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Some good advice there from Phil.

I'd take the view that you need to decide what 'supporting mods' you want to do, before adding a full custom remap to get the most out of your car and the fuel you're putting in. There's no such thing as free power. A cheapo canned stage one tune will not do much good to the car by itself. :dont know:

You'll also want to consider the rest of the car, a few things that can be usefully improved such as stiffer engine and gearbox mounts, new brake lines, fresh fluid and better pads, and maybe some nice new sticky tyres. All of which make a difference... :grin:

MaxA said:
Some good advice there from Phil.

I'd take the view that you need to decide what 'supporting mods' you want to do, before adding a full custom remap to get the most out of your car and the fuel you're putting in. There's no such thing as free power. A cheapo canned stage one tune will not do much good to the car by itself. :dont know:

You'll also want to consider the rest of the car, a few things that can be usefully improved such as stiffer engine and gearbox mounts, new brake lines, fresh fluid and better pads, and maybe some nice new sticky tyres. All of which make a difference... :grin:

Max , I couldnt agree more on the handling and stopping upgrades mate :thumb: :thumb: braded brake lines and a performace brake fluid were high on my list and done early as I want to be able to stop better before I go quicker :floor: :floor: and its so cheap and easy to do its a no brainer. as I always say , you just never know when stopping 10ft quicker will save your life.

Phil 997 said:
Heres my 2p gents
Gen 1,
I am talking about affordable and quite straight foreward mods clearly fitting a blower will do a lot more but its 10k and uprating other bits as well .

biggest single wins are fitting a IPD GT3 TB/Plen which will need a remap to bring it together , yes it will run without one and the car will relearn some of the paramiters but your fitting this mod to get wins and your missing a big one by not remaping it
second biggest win 200cell cats either straght of xpipe , cat bypass will fail mots and the very slight gain for going 100cell over the hastle of getting an MOT on it are just are not worth it.

the induction hose resinator blank with a BMC make the car breath more freely gives a nice note at full hoon the BHP gains on their own are not enough to do the mod just for that, but combined with the other things its important to do as your basically aiming to get more air in and quicker gas out .

These are the simplest things the factory did when restricting the Carreras for several reasons 1/ to pass all the international Eco laws 2/ to stop the Carrera performing too close to its flagship models 3/ the beancounters force compromises when trying to get the car to the desired pricepoint .

Most of us are fast road drivers and occational track days , So the wins we want are slightly different to the track cars, we want the gains in the low mid range which is where we spend most of our time and improvements there are more important than MAX BHP .

There are other things like fitting a 4" underdrive pulley , fitting a sprint booster on a tip car that will also make it an improved drivers car the big win for the underdrive is not the redirected unused energy to the back wheels but for me it was the slight increase in wieght of the power steering made a huge difference to confidence as the 997.1 steering is very light. The sprint booster for a tip just keeps the box in alive mode as the tip box has the ability to learn your driving style and if your in town etc it adopts a lazy style , a quick kickdown will reset it, but it soons gets lazy again the sprint booster goes a long way to overcoming that by making the car think your driving it harder than you actually are.

The mods for the gen2 are similar and for similar gains but have to be done slightly differently e.g. an extra muffler on the gen2 and the cats are connected as a single unit to the headers.

Remaps , DONT go and get a £299 generic off the shelf map they are ok, but its better if you spend £500/600 and get a custom live map from a mapper that it taking into account you ,your driving style, what your looking to achieve, and any mods you have fitted.

remember this important piece if info MOST people that say all these things are a waste of time HAVE NEVER DONE THEM and they are just making assumptions or have done the wrong mod for the wrong reasons .

Mods is such a broad subject and If anyone wants a bit more detail on a specific mod please ask . Each mod brings something different to the party and some on there own like eg the induction hose will bring something but if your fitting it for the wrong reason you may be underwhelmed, for instance purely that mod and expecting big performance gains will leave you dissapinted ,doing it as part of a group of mods for performance gains is a must. If like me you just wanted to do that mod because the car in its stock form sounded so wheezy and stiffled and you just want to hear the car breathing like it should so much more freely and get a nice industion hown when pushing on. then its
a good mod to do just on its own , personally I think its the first thing anyone with a carrera should do its £150 inc the BMC filter and so worth spending the money on.

Note, on the gen1 and ideally the gen2 before spending money on performance mods I highly reccomend you ensure you have taken the basic risk minimising advise to protect the car the best we can e.g.. fit an LTT, look at what oil your using versus you motors mileage etc , change it at 10k or annually min . warm the car up fully before hooning ,

Lastly get out there and bloody well enjoy driving these cars :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phil curious on the Plenum aspect - I was told they don't actually add anything on the 3.8 ? Am guessing you have other intel ?

Phil 997 said:
Heres my 2p gents
Gen 1,

Phil curious on the Plenum aspect - I was told they don't actually add anything on the 3.8 ? Am guessing you have other intel ?

Phil curious on the Plenum aspect - I was told they don't actually add anything on the 3.8 ? Am guessing you have other intel ?[/quote]

Do you mean 3.8 gen1 or gen2 mate :thumb:

This might be worth a read if you mean the gen2 3.8 even IPD agree its harder to find more gains from the DFI engine than it was on the x97 engine and the plenum mod gains are across the curve adding 15bhp at the wheels , whereas on the gen1 the gains were lower down the power band more in the low mid range.

http://www.ipdplenums.com/products/plenums/carreras/9972-dfi-carreras

the X97 engine with this mod gave 24 to 28 bhp gains and used a gt3 TB as well

http://www.ipdplenums.com/products/plenums/carreras/9971-carreras.

I imagine when Porsche inc BHP from 355 to 385 going from the gen1 to the gen2 they used a few of the mod options we use on the gen1 to achive this these are also similar to how they got some of the wins for the X51 power kit. which is probably why its harder to find power gains from the gen2 and realistically and from what I am finding the gains are about half what you could get from the same mod on a gen1, also the remap is more advantagious on a gen2 as it really is how a tuner moves some of the gains back down the power band. But with the mods on the gen2 its still able to get up to GTS BHP.
mine has been on a rolling road and was just over 400bhp, but I have since done a couple of other tweaks and its back on the rolling road in a few weeks time ( posponed from this week due to the engine issue I had and resolved recently) I am expecting to be just over GTS bhp when its re tested. :thumb: :thumb:

The big question for everyone modding is do you want to spend (depending on which products you buy) between £4000 and £8000 to gain 25 bhp on the gen2 and 35/40bhp on the gen1, but also inproving where in the power curve the power is delivered, which for me is far more fun that just max BHP in a part of the curve I rarely use. Personally I do because I enjoy it and I dont play golf which would cost the same over a year or two . :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Only each indavidual can decide what they want from their car eg when a tuner says to me "do you want a faster 0 to 60mph at the cost of a few BHP numbers at the top end " my answer is yes , but others might want to achive different results .
This is why different tuners and different owners see slightly different results also combined with their expectations as some might be disapointed and say modding doesnt do things, if they were expecting to spend £4k and achieve 50/60bhp
Currently everything I have done can easily be changed back to stock and I realise if I want to keep chasing power then I am going to have to do things not so easily changed back to stock, eg fit a blower for 10k and see 150bhp gains . The dilema with that is do I really need that much power for the cost and then we get into another set of considerations, and some will and some wont and they will stop at the point they are happy at , which for many is simply a stock gen2 385BHP and a sports air filter :grin: and for others its 550bhp with a full set of mods and a blower. Often though when you get to that point of consideration the majority will realise that you are probably better off changing the mule and sell up and buy a turbo and then start modding that but very quickly £4k of mods for moderate gains becomes £20k of mods on a turbo chasing 800/900bhp so we all have to know our limits and stop at the point that works for us.
:grin: :grin: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back