Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's - MO Branding?

Sounds like you have the "vanilla" tyres - and thanks for taking the time to look and all of your comments here.

I agree with your final statement, I remain convinced it is all marketing hype.

I'm in the tend to stick with N rated camp as I would have thought the 911 is different enough with weight distribution etc for the N rating to be a little more than just marketing. I remember with the PS2, the N rated front tyres were 87Y and standard were 91Y, which I think makes sense given less weight distribution over the front axle?

That said, the PS4S in particular is a pain in the backside for not being N rated, I could be tempted to put vanilla ones on but I wouldn't put a set on with another manufacturers approval.

A Manufacturer's approval is just that - their approval of a tyre, NOT a statement that the tyre has been specifically and uniquely developed for their range of vehicles. (And as correctly pointed out earlier in this thread, Mercedes have a large number of cars in their range with widely differing characteristics and performance).

I am going to put Michelin PS4S M0 tyres on the front of my 991 C2S - they've got to be better than the 5+ year old Continentals that are on there currently!![/u]

awclymm said:
A Manufacturer's approval is just that - their approval of a tyre, NOT a statement that the tyre has been specifically and uniquely developed for their range of vehicles. (And as correctly pointed out earlier in this thread, Mercedes have a large number of cars in their range with widely differing characteristics and performance).

I am going to put Michelin PS4S M0 tyres on the front of my 991 C2S - they've got to be better than the 5+ year old Continentals that are on there currently!![/u]

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: You will also find less road noise with the Michelins over the Contis :thumb:

It may all be marketing, but I couldn't find the article on tyrereviews.co.uk that discussed this very issue and suggested that tyres were designed and built to manufacturer specifications - although I imagine that some cooperations were closer than others. Maybe I'm being sensitive about the 911, as I've run all sorts of tyres on other cars without "ratings". I would add though that some tyres just seem to work, and others don't, depending on the car.

It's a bit like discussions on brake pads: all the packaging I've opened in the last 10 years is marked "for race applications only" and yet when it come to an MOT, they don't inspect the pads themselves, they just check that the brakes actually work ... :dont know: :?:

awclymm said:

Mercedes maybe but not Porsche, there are fundamental design features that at the time of homologation, results it being a type specific for a specific Porsche.

I recommend to stick to the N rated offering where possible, but should that not be possible then there are equivalent hyper performance tyres (to the same speed and tyre specs) on the market from the same manufacturers that supply N rated tyres.

However in answer to your question, as far as I am aware the best performing non N rated tyre to my knowledge is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

nobody seems to be addressing the Insurance companies view. I have a 928GTS and raised the subject with my Insurance company. They advised if Porsche say its Ok to use tyres without the N rating then they would not have a problem. Of course Porsche would not give such an undertaking as they read from their script despite the fact that many of the cars they now say must be N rated were on the market before the N rating came out. Its an interesting debate as the law states the tyres meet speed and load requirements and a huge number of Porsche drivers meet that requirement when using non N rated tyres but we all know that Insurance companies will try to wriggle out of a claim with any excuse.
I do not want to test that theory in court so am reverting to N rated tyres. For the miles i do the extra cost is a small price to pay to know you comply.

Im struggleing with this topic ..

From an Insurance point of view in the event of an accident .. is the tyre ROAD WORTHY .. ie tread ... pressure if they want to go that far .. which i doubt . .. they are more concerned on what caused the accident and who to blame .

Tyre rateing , what Porsche RECOMMEND ie N rated should not effect wether the tyre is N rated .. M rated or neither .

If im told by my Insurance that the tyres MUST be N rated or they will invalidate my Insurance then fair enough .. do they ?

I dont know ..

M0 is designed for Mercs but can be used on a Porsche as is the other way around .. non N rated can be used on a Porsche .. they are not the best tyres for the car but they will still do the basic job and will be legal as far as im aware .. and if not i would like to see the relevent documents explaining it to me please as i see many of the above fitted and if its illegal then i would like to know as im obviously doing my job wrong .

Imho .. you fit what you want .. it wont be the best if not specified by Porsche but it will be a tyre .

N rated is what porsche say and is what i recomend .. its not a command though .

Think about it logically .. if a tyre was not allowed to be fitted to a car then the tyre companys would not fit it ... they would be liable for the potential cost of any accident .

The following 4 sizes in PS4S are now N0 approved :-

235 35 R 20 92 ZR(Y) XL | N0 E B 71dB £249.99
245 35 R 20 95 ZR(Y) XL | N0 E B 71dB £269.99
265 35 R 20 99 ZR(Y) XL | N0 E B 71dB £319.99
305 30 R 20 103 ZR(Y) XL | N0 E B 73dB £349.99

I've compared a MPS4s MO vs a MPS4s K1 and MPS4s no brand.

They have slightly different tread pattern and also the MO has a larger kerb protector, side wall is more rounded, whilst other 2 are more flat.

as360 said:
I've compared a MPS4s MO vs a MPS4s K1 and MPS4s no brand.

They have slightly different tread pattern and also the MO has a larger kerb protector, side wall is more rounded, whilst other 2 are more flat.

there are also differences within the tyre that are reflected in it's high performance driving abilities

I'm not in either camp, however the Insurance angle is dependant on the type of accident which takes place.

Minor accident then no, I can't see it being raised.

However, a major accident with police investigation, then it could be raised as a contributing factor if there's cause to look in that area. Braking distances and skid marks etc. There may be more than an Insurance issue if it's noted by the police and ends in court.

Although in an argument against myself I've never heard of this happening 🤷"â™‚️

As below

UK tyre law dictates that in order to be legal a tyre must comply with a number of requirements. These range from what the manufacturer must be responsible for, such as relevant sidewall markings, and what the motorist is responsible for, including selecting the correct fitment and maintaining the tyre condition.

Official guidelines recommend that tyres should be checked on a weekly basis for tread depth, tread condition, inflation pressure, tread or sidewall damage and signs of irregular wear. If in doubt seek the advice of a trained tyre expert who will be able to determine the suitability of the tyre for further use. If you drive on damaged or worn tyres, you are at risk of invalidating your car Insurance policy, incurring a hefty fine and/or penalty points and endangering those around you.

Failing to maintain your tyres to a legal standard can result in a Fixed Penalty Notice (a Conditional Offer Notice in Scotland) or a court summons. In the eyes of the law both the driver and the vehicle owner, if different, are liable and both may be summonsed in the event of illegal tyres. The maximum fine a court may impose is £2,500 and three penalty points per tyre.

Tyre Mixing

Drivers must not have radial tyres on the front wheels and cross ply tyres on the rear wheels. It is also illegal to have a cross ply tyre on one side of an axle with a radial on the other.

Unsuitable tyres

All tyres must have a service description, i.e. a load index and a speed rating. If the vehicle operates outside the service description indicated on the sidewall, for instance at a higher speed than permitted by the rating or carrying more weight than the stated limit, then the tyres would be deemed to be unsuitable for the use and a prosecution would follow.

They don't avoid claims due to type of tyre fitted.

Insurance, Maybe not

But I'm unsure of the Police position during an investigation if it involved stopping distances etc. The tyres would be looked at, that's a given.

Would they care if there N rated?? Who knows

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back