Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Swapping PSE

Tim996c4

My PSE is pretty knackered (rusty and a crack on one of the tubes) so am planning on replacing with the TopGear switchable (big thanks to Alex for the group discount). I've seen many mentions of the possibility of connecting the original switch to the TG system, but can't find any definitive instructions on it. Has anyone actually done this, and if so, any instructions/tips etc.?
Thanks

Its been done by several members , I have a feeling the most recent was ducatirob try a PM to him :thumb:

Unless I'm missing something, if you already have PSE fitted and only replacing the original silencers, you just need to reconnect the stainless braided vacuum pipe running through each side of the rear bodywork to the new TG silencer exhaust valve, no need to touch the switch or solenoid etc. :thumb:

I have non-switchable PSE (closes valve at 30-45MPH); would the Top Gear back boxes work with this, anyone know?

I think you need to call Topgear HQ at Bridport ask to speak to Steve hes the Tech that knows about Porsche PSE and see what they have done in the past and does it work with the revs aka PSE is std format or is it a straight open or closed option aka the carnwal overide kit or the removal of the fuse option which ever guys have done. :thumb: :thumb:

Have a look at your current PSE back boxes.
Do they each have a 1/4" braided stainless vacuum hose going to them?
Post a picture if you are not sure.

If so the Topgear units are compatible and should just be a case of swapping like for like.

The Topgear units also come with a keyfob operated system that you could integrate into what you have, allowing you to have the valves closed at higher speeds if you wanted to as is possible with the switch.

Its strange you don't have the switch - I thought that factory installed PSE all had a switch installed.

There is a relay that controls the valves to keep the car quiet below 40mph this can also be bypassed if you are interested by simply snipping a diode within the relay - very simple and can be returned to normal quite easily as well.

My understanding is that the early PSE was non-switched. I think it is only from the 996.2 that they are switchable. This is why you won't find any gloss switches available for the centre console. I sprayed mine with lacquer and it came up looking good.

They do each have a vacuum pipe going to the actuators. Apply vacuum to make them quiet.

I did a write up on retrofitting PSE to a 996 here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118956&highlight=pse

MC

Thanks, chaps.

Mine's actually a non-switched 996.2, so there was an overlap in production, I guess.

Interesting thread as my PSE will eventually succumb!

So it sounds like when it does I can buy the valved TG boxes and get them fitted and simply connected up to use the PSE switch as if it were the original system. Mine is a 2004 C4S and does have switchable PSE as it stands.

Cheers,

Giles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back