Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 GTS to GT4?

Cameo

I'm considering the move to a GT4 but having had a couple of demo drives I've failed to be wowed by it like I thought I would. The handling, balance and front end feel great but not night and day better. I wonder if some of that is down to Cup tyres v P Zeros?

Also the engine and power delivery is a bit of a let down. Yes its linear and progressive but it feels flat compared to the power-kit engined GTS. There's no punch or zing to it.

I have a manual GTS and they seem to be rare as rocking horse poo compared to GT4s. I'm worried that if I don't like the GT4 I may never find a replacement. Has anyone made the move from the 911 to GT4 or vice versa and what is your experience? :?:

Not driven either sadly, but I cant imagine buying a car that didn't 'wow' me.

Your comments sound to me like you should stick with the GTS.

There is certainly a bhp gap between the GTS and GT4 and this is obviously noticeable to you. When I drove a GT4, compared to my 4S, I came away with a similar feeling in terms of performance and general feel.

If it doesn't leave you grinning from ear-to-ear then probably not the one for you.

if you have a good relationship with your OPC, why not discuss a part-ex of your desirable 991.1 GTS for the next (718) GT4 when it arrives, heavily rumoured to be a detuned GT3 engine rather than a Carrera one

Thanks for the comments.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt the performance and feel was less than there own car. Having read and watched all the rave reviews it has a lot to live up to. I'm doing a couple of track days this year and I suspect that's where the GT4 would excel (if I were a driving god :D).

I'm probably over analysing it all and forgetting to enjoy the car. It certainly felt better in terms of steering after the second drive.

I've spoken to the dealer numerous times over the years about GT3/4s but I'm not a big spender and therefore don't make the cut. :nooo:

Still mulling it over, fortunately there are plenty on the market to chose from and the 'premium" has certainly come down.

Both will depreciate, though the GT4 will almost certainly lose tangibly less. However - as you said : the GTS would probably be harder to replace like for like if you wanted to go back at some point in the future (they brought plenty of GT4s in and there have always been a decent selection on the market at any given point as a consequence).

If the Cayman isn't particularly floating your boat then I would say stick with what you have. :thumb:

Yep, going to stick with what I've got for the moment and maybe look at options later in the year.
I'm doing a couple of track days in the Sprong and I'll see how they go and whether I *need* to upgrade to a GT product or whether it would be completely wasted on me (I think I can guess) :D
Thanks for the comments

Hi Cameo
I have just made the jump from a 997 Turbo to a GT4. A few thoughts here:

Its early days but I am fairly sure I have made the right choice, really pleased with it.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=126630

Hope that helps and good luck with your decision!

I went the other way...from GT4 to 991.1 GTS. There's a very tangible difference in the motor. The GT4 feels flat in comparison.

You definitely did the right thing. Hopefully it'll be addressed in the new GT4.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back