Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 or Cayman?

The return of Marty Wild said:
I carry my road bike on my Cayman, my mate carries his on his 997.1 so nothing to worry about in that respect, looks cool as IMO.

Nice work. Looking good 8) 8) 8) :bandit:

997's are incredible all round daily driver cars. Perfectly happy tootling along, but also more than capable of screaming off when you want to. It is a precision tool. Some things might be faster in a straight line, but for the money, nothing gets close to the all round package and capability. When you get it right, it rewards, and they are very easy to drive. Love mine, had it almost 3 years, just incredible, probably won't ever sell it.....

Thanks, Gents.

German cars, Italian bikes.

Is my motto :)

The Porsche 987 Cayman/Boxster platform is sublime, an absolutely fantastic car to drive and own, but it isn`t and never will be a 911, both totally different cars to drive and own.
I`m lucky enough to have a 987 Boxster S and a 996.1 911( obviously not a 997, but that was just an updated 996 at the end of the day )

Is it the Porsche 911 itch that you need to scratch, or the Porsche itch that you need to scratch :?:

If I could only have one, it would be the Cayman/Boxster platform and I would take the "it`s not a real Porsche" comments on the chin, whilst grinning from ear to ear every time I sit in the drivers seat :grin:

The 997 911 is a fantastic piece of machinery, but then again so is the 987 Cayman :grin:

I was at the launch of the new Ceyenne in Nottingham on Wednesday night with Mistercorn..........we both agreed that the 991 C2 was the car of the evening, purely because the 718 Boxster only has a flat 4 :grin: If it was a flat 6 it would have won :thumb:

When I bought my 997.2 I already had a low miles, much cared for 986 2.7 Boxster. I kept the Boxster for a while so the wife could buzz around in it and not have to drive mine.
After owning mine for a couple of months, I woke early one Sunday morning and felt the urge to take the Boxster out. I did a couple of hour trip along some good roads and loved it. The balance of a Boxster/Cayman is just sublime. The 911 may have more grunt and more grip but the Boxster is a great car. When I got home i even said to the wife that if we could only afford to have 10 grands worth of car then i wouldn't be all that upset.

Another year has since passed and the 986 got swapped for a 996 so that the wife can fit both the kids and the fact that they are pretty depreciation proof having a few grand extra in it didn't matter.

If I had £30k to spend today for me, I would buy a 987.2 3.4 PDK Cayman and I'd want PASM, theres a few around at that money. You'll get a much lower mileage probably more bullet proof car as it has the later DFI engine than a gen1 997 and its potential engine issues. I love my 997.2 but thats £50k to get it now so a different market place.

kurlykris said:
The Porsche 987 Cayman/Boxster platform is sublime, an absolutely fantastic car to drive and own, but it isn`t and never will be a 911, both totally different cars to drive and own.
I`m lucky enough to have a 987 Boxster S and a 996.1 911( obviously not a 997, but that was just an updated 996 at the end of the day )

Is it the Porsche 911 itch that you need to scratch, or the Porsche itch that you need to scratch :?:

Kris nailed it with that. I'm lucky enough to have tried both. Cayman is a fabulous car but it is not a 911.
I'm fortunate that I can ride a bike to work, so I don't rack up stratospheric miles. keep a commuting car and save the pork if you czn.
I went through the same thought process that you're doing now.
my first drive of mine was across central Manchester in Friday evening rush hour. it is a doddle to drive.
go kick some tyres.
whichever you choose- there isn't really a wrong decision. both are great.

Only negative I've found if you're doing a lot of UK m'way miles is surprising amount of tyre noise in my 911. Maybe model specific - mine is 997.1 C4S - but it can become a pain particularly for passenger. Not a problem in France or Germany must be different surface. Still superb car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForeheadMacca
Back