Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short Shift

I've only tried the SSK shifter recently and I must admit I didn't like the feel of it. It was only the once and stationary, so before writing the idea off I'd need a drive of a car with it to see again.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I love the feel of my gearbox and on a recent drive day out was asked whether my car was pdk or manual as they could hear the gear shifts through the exhaust from behind.(I took the last comment as a compliment :bandit: )
Although it's not a good a feel as the gearbox in a gen 2 MX5.

Scholester said:
rabbitstew said:
Ive been running an el cheapo (£32) ebay SSK on mine for the last 2 years. Really quick & easy job to fit yourself. Only a small bit of notchiness occasionally when cold, but the difference is amazing.

Hi RS,
Did you alter the bushings at all on your SSK? I know some have taken up some slick with shims or washers so it would be good to recap what's what with the installation process for best results.
I have had one of these in a box in the garage for two years but am nervous of notchy cold 'box shifting.

Depends on which one you have. The first SSK i had came with felt washers which go between the stick and the housing. These had a bit of play so I swapped them out for metal washers which really tightened things up.

My current one has plastic washers which seem to be more firm so I have not yet swapped them for washers. The only "slop" I find is in the white block part of the gear linkage, which isnt really the fault of the SSK.

One alteration I did make was to swap the nuts which came with it for nyloc nuts as I found they kept coming undone after a while. Ive done 30,000 with mine though so its had some use!

rabbitstew said:
Scholester said:
rabbitstew said:
Ive been running an el cheapo (£32) ebay SSK on mine for the last 2 years. Really quick & easy job to fit yourself. Only a small bit of notchiness occasionally when cold, but the difference is amazing.

Hi RS,
Did you alter the bushings at all on your SSK? I know some have taken up some slick with shims or washers so it would be good to recap what's what with the installation process for best results.
I have had one of these in a box in the garage for two years but am nervous of notchy cold 'box shifting.

Depends on which one you have. The first SSK i had came with felt washers which go between the stick and the housing. These had a bit of play so I swapped them out for metal washers which really tightened things up.

My current one has plastic washers which seem to be more firm so I have not yet swapped them for washers. The only "slop" I find is in the white block part of the gear linkage, which isnt really the fault of the SSK.

One alteration I did make was to swap the nuts which came with it for nyloc nuts as I found they kept coming undone after a while. Ive done 30,000 with mine though so its had some use!

Nice one.
Any notchy 1st gear experiences? Are you on original engine mounts?
:thumb:

FZP said:
I've only tried the SSK shifter recently and I must admit I didn't like the feel of it. It was only the once and stationary, so before writing the idea off I'd need a drive of a car with it to see again.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I love the feel of my gearbox and on a recent drive day out was asked whether my car was pdk or manual as they could hear the gear shifts through the exhaust from behind.(I took the last comment as a compliment :bandit: )

You can have a play with my stick if you want. Give you an idea how short it is :oops:

alex yates said:
FZP said:

You can have a play with my stick if you want. Give you an idea how short it is :oops:
Thanks Alex very kind. Playing with short sticks isn't my thing, but as you've heard my car, you'll know that I'm more interested in the exhaust, particularly where the exhaust bolts on to the cats. I think those flat surfaces that bolt together is commonly referred to as a flange. :floor:

Scholester said:
rabbitstew said:
Scholester said:
rabbitstew said:

Hi RS,

Nice one.
Any notchy 1st gear experiences? Are you on original engine mounts?
:thumb:

On original engine mounts which are pretty worn out after 90,000 miles. Ive got some RSS ones to fit at some point. Very occasionally 1st will be slightly notchy when cold, but it doesnt happen so often that its an issue.

alex yates said:
FZP said:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:

After all the trama I have had this week I took it for a good run today , I must admit with the new OE clutch and millers nano gear box oil it seemed to go into gear much easier when cold so it may not of entirely been the SSK that was giving me the "when cold" issue :thumb: :thumb:

alex yates said:
Redline MTL is the best gearbox oil. If you want to get rid of the hard gear changes when cold, the answer is not the oil but the capacity. Mercedes recommended dropping the amount by 20%. I did this on my CLK and it cured it perfectly. I've also heard of members on here doing it with a 911 and it's also been sucessful.

Disclaimer: If your gearbox gets sh**ged due to reduced oil capacity, don't blame me!

This does make a difference.
I changed mine last year & noticed the difference straight away. Unfortunately I was also paranoid about underfilling that I topped up again after a short run & found it got stiffer again.
I plan on dropping some out again at the start of the season to take it back down just under the filler plug to see how much difference it makes again!

SGH so far I have had the standard shifter, eBay one and now oem ssk and I have to say I like the oem the best out the three. Both of the shorter ones are slightly more notchy than stanard but as long as you match the revs it slips in fine and goes in a few minutes once warm, at the end of the day the change is the same but you just feel it more because of the shorter throw.

On my old car I went for an eBay ssk as I felt the standard shifter is just too long, on this set up after installing new enginee mounts the notchyness reduced considerably and then after a new clutch went altogether. So if you have a good clutch and mounts really the notchyness shouldn't be an issue and I think you will much prefer the throw.

'Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the Earth with it' - a remark of Archimedes who formally stated the correct mathematical principle of levers.

The SSK works in the exact same principle - shorten the shift - increase the force required.

What is the SSK part number please for the Gen2?

I just spoke to parts, and non are listed. I had a Gen 1 C4S, is the Gen 2 the same box, clutch/setup? And thus needs a SSK? I'm picking a car up next week and may have it fitted prior as part of the deal. TIA.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back