Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bu@@er my gen2 C4S is broken, update now healed itself lol

wildej said:
ttnuts said:
I wouldn't touch a 997.2 either - overpriced, will suffer from coking, and inevitable engine problems will be even more expensive to fix than a 997.1/996.

Even with a rebuild potential down the road - the value car has to be the 997.1/996.

Once the market realises this (probably a few years away still), a proper Hartech rebuilt Gen 1 will price higher than a Gen 2.

I think your username is on the money with that comment old chap :lol:

I can only agree 100% with this comment ....
I'd like to see tbe statistics to back that codswallop up ...!!

Just read this as i wasnt on last night .. i know need to mop up spilt cider from my keyboard !

The first post is pretty dramatic and i was gob smacked you had a blown engine ..best if you dont do that with a mouth full of cider .. its only when i got to the borscope being ok i started to think its not a total loss .

Then as it progresses it gets better .. think im going to need a new keyboard though .. rarther sticky !

Tappet / high lift solinoid .. if its the solinoid it will probably come back but drive and see .

Stupid thing to check with vibrations but not really related to your fault is rear wheel balence .. that can cause strange vibrations depending on how far its out .

I think ive calmed down now so onto other posts :thumb:

Demort said:
Just read this as i wasnt on last night .. i know need to mop up spilt cider from my keyboard !

The first post is pretty dramatic and i was gob smacked you had a blown engine ..best if you dont do that with a mouth full of cider .. its only when i got to the borscope being ok i started to think its not a total loss .

Then as it progresses it gets better .. think im going to need a new keyboard though .. rarther sticky !

Tappet / high lift solinoid .. if its the solinoid it will probably come back but drive and see .

Stupid thing to check with vibrations but not really related to your fault is rear wheel balence .. that can cause strange vibrations depending on how far its out .

I think ive calmed down now so onto other posts :thumb:

:floor: Hi Iain, yes the week got better for me mate as it went on . I was antisipating if it was a lifter it might return in which case at least I will know what it is but I intend to do a few thousand miles in it before starting mods again. I will get the wheels checked and funnily enough had already called CG about a full geo before this happened. I owe you a keyboard :grin: but better than a rebuild :floor:
and to finish the week off well the courier has found my sharkwerkz rear muffler delete exhaust that has been lost for a week. so fingers crossed the week ends well when I get the car back after road tests. :thumb: :thumb:

Demort said:
ref emails .. phone me please.

Hi Iain, I have been out road testing the car and have to say it runs and sounds totally fine :dont know: pushed it hard and it was happy , you just wouldnt know it had sounded so rattly. Thanks for your thoughts via email mate , I will monitor it over the next few days weeks. :thumb:

Bloody lovely to drive it again after a couple of week in the range rover :grin:

997.2 the sweet spot in the 911 range :grin: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I Drove it 75 miles today ,tried pushing it hard, doing multiple gear changes, holding in one gear almost to red line Nothing not a sausage running as smooth as you like , :grin: :grin: :thumb: its not easy driving hard with your fingers crossed though :floor: :floor:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Phil 997 said:
I Drove it 75 miles today ,tried pushing it hard, doing multiple gear changes, holding in one gear almost to red line Nothing not a sausage running as smooth as you like , :grin: :grin: :thumb: its not easy driving hard with your fingers crossed though :floor: :floor:

Must've been something to do with the clutch assembly.

It's either broken free and sitting at the bottom of the bell housing or righted itself :grin:

Glad all is well mate after the sudden feeling of shock horror ( been there ) :lol:

:thumb:

spongebob squarepants said:
997.2 the sweet spot in the 911 range :grin: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Attachments

• b2f7b88c_ea38_4e3c_8065_d2d5c6bdffc4_504.jpg
    b2f7b88c_ea38_4e3c_8065_d2d5c6bdffc4_504.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3,481
Phil 997 said:
Lots more research to do first like clearly the current Duel Mass Flywheel wont like the extra torque so what alternative, single mass will add and increase vibration and as its a daily road car thats not ideal. but at least with any luck I can continue to look at ideas and options :grin:

Phil, now that the car's back on the ground, I would be worried for you if it didn't have a nice new single mass flywheel. It'll only add a little tiny bit of rattle at idle, which you won't be able to hear over the Sharkwerks.

We have a single mass flywheel (which is half of the weight of the OEM DMF) on the GP2 and it's not a bother, even with the uprated clutch. :grin:

MaxA said:
Phil 997 said:
Lots more research to do first like clearly the current Duel Mass Flywheel wont like the extra torque so what alternative, single mass will add and increase vibration and as its a daily road car thats not ideal. but at least with any luck I can continue to look at ideas and options :grin:

Phil, now that the car's back on the ground, I would be worried for you if it didn't have a nice new single mass flywheel. It'll only add a little tiny bit of rattle at idle, which you won't be able to hear over the Sharkwerks.

We have a single mass flywheel (which is half of the weight of the OEM DMF) on the GP2 and it's not a bother, even with the uprated clutch. :grin:[/quot

Hi Max, I looked at single mass flywheels and it maybe an option in the future , I was concerned about any extra NVH and idle chatter ( not the type that costs lives lol) but if its minimal then may be an option .Clearly the stock DMF has its limitations when adding torque but it would be good to know where those were, and if the type of mods we generally do will take it close to the limits of the DMF or its only an issue if you start to get radical with adding power mods :thumb: :thumb:

ttnuts said:
Teffers said:

I was chatting with a speculator friend/customer of mine about my 996, and how I'd consider getting out of it for a Gen 2 C4S.

His strong negative reaction really surprised me, I thought the Di engine was supposed to be bulletproof but his opinion was the polar opposite! I don't really know either way to be honest, you get so used to hearing negatives about the M96/M97 that you end up assuming everything is reliable in comparison :D

I hope this is something simple :thumb:

I wouldn't touch a 997.2 either - overpriced, will suffer from coking, and inevitable engine problems will be even more expensive to fix than a 997.1/996.

Even with a rebuild potential down the road - the value car has to be the 997.1/996.

Once the market realises this, a proper Hartech rebuilt Gen 1 will price higher than a Gen 2.

I wouldn't say the DFI is worse thats crazy - I would however say that it is likely to be little better in the long ... but given Porsche (and many others manufacturers to be fair) haven't ever offered a 911 with an engine that didn't end up needing a rebuild at some point this shouldn't be a shock...

Glad yours is back in rude health Phil... mine clanked for a few miles with a stuck lifter a couple of weeks back and my heart sank.. cleared in minutes but i felt my wallet getting lighter as i limped home..

Teffers said:
. I wouldn't touch a 997.2 either - overpriced, will suffer from coking, and inevitable engine problems will be even more expensive to fix than a 997.1/996.

Once the market realises this, a proper Hartech rebuilt Gen 1 will price higher than a Gen 2.

I think the market and people in the know, already know how good the Gen2 engine is. Even Barry from Hartech owns a high milage Gen2 as his personal car.

All engines will have problems one day, but I think that's going to be a long way off for most DFI owners who look after them properly. Things like solenoids, coil packs etc will have a shelf life for any engine, but the core of the DFI seems to be pretty much bulletproof. If something did go wrong, rebuild costs should be very similar between the M97 and DFI (possibly cheaper with 40% fewer parts to it).

Dont get me wrong, a fully re-built M97 will be the best a Gen1 can be, but I still think a DFI will outlive it.

A fully rebuilt engine M97 (with a closed deck and all 6 liners replaced) will have similar protection against borescore as the stock DFI with its Alusil block. The updated IMS will be better than the original IMS in the M97 but still not as good as the DFI engine with no IMS at all. As for the rest of it, the DFI has 40% fewer parts, that's 40% fewer things that can go wrong.

I've read about the issues with coking so I took my previous 997.2 to a garage to be de-coked when it hit 100,000 miles. It didn't need it.

The garage said they thought it would not need it as they had not come across a 997.2 with any serious coking yet. They said the issues are mainly for VW's etc and they have not seen any real issues with a 997.2 as Porsche use a different design which squirts a tiny amount on the back of the valves keeping it clean.

Reading internet horror stories meant money down the drain spending cash where it was not required. I won't be de-coking my current 997.2 for a long time ;-)

For me personally, the DFI engine is the only Porsche engine that's lasted well over 100K miles without a single problem - and I mean nothing. Ever.

09porsche997_hi_05-1.jpg

redbaron1973 said:
ttnuts said:
Teffers said:

I was chatting with a speculator friend/customer of mine about my 996, and how I'd consider getting out of it for a Gen 2 C4S.

His strong negative reaction really surprised me, I thought the Di engine was supposed to be bulletproof but his opinion was the polar opposite! I don't really know either way to be honest, you get so used to hearing negatives about the M96/M97 that you end up assuming everything is reliable in comparison :D

I hope this is something simple :thumb:

I wouldn't say the DFI is worse thats crazy - I would however say that it is likely to be little better in the long ... but given Porsche (and many others manufacturers to be fair) haven't ever offered a 911 with an engine that didn't end up needing a rebuild at some point this shouldn't be a shock...

Glad yours is back in rude health Phil... mine clanked for a few miles with a stuck lifter a couple of weeks back and my heart sank.. cleared in minutes but i felt my wallet getting lighter as i limped home..

Thanks mate and glad yours is ok aswell , its a very expensive sounding clank isnt it. heard this a few times now from gen 2 owners, wondering if sticky lifters is going to be one of those "over time it shows itself " gen2 bugs as the mileage and age slowly creeps up on these cars, after all mine is 9 yrs old and 60k now :eek: some of these cars look amazing when you think about it some gen 1s are nearly 15 yrs old and they still look in such good codition . :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back