Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 13
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 8
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 10
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Gen 2 rear light conversion Reply with quote

So finally got around to updating the rear lights to the Gen2 ones, while the aftermarket ones for the Gen1 are good, they still don't update the rear as much as a full conversion, but obviously there is a price difference!
So everything went fine, swapped over the parktronic sensor brackets, installed rear bumper & lights and then finally installed the rear module which goes under the passenger seat.
Here is what happened:
Installed the rear lights - lights were not working at all;
Swapped out the rear module to the newer one - lights still not working at all;
I took it to an indie to get the coding done, to switch to LED but they were still not working;
They re-installed the old rear module copied the settings and then copied over all the data from the old module to the new module - lights still didn't work!
I then remembered that I hadn't cut away the small tab so that the lights can fully plug in - thought I had, my bad-, so they removed the lights, cut the small tab & then the lights worked! But
Now the indicators are flashing at a normal rate from outside the car, however, inside they are flashing fast - I have fitted a turbo front bumper with a plug and play box so DRLs are on when the indicator is not working - was working perfectly before with the dectane rear lights,
I also get my horn beeping when I lock the car - again working perfectly before.
Any ideas?
Some pics Very Happy

IMG_2994.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.43 KB
 Viewed:  1763 Time(s)

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.24 KB

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  514.36 KB

IMG_2991.JPG

Phil 997
Donnington
Donnington

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik , drop forum member Monster a PM as he has done this convertion and may be able to give you a fix , sounds to me like it needs a relay or something but hopefully he will help Thumb

failing that sell me those lights Grin Grin

FZP
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niko
Looks great. Looks like from your description that your missing the control units. If you do a Google search you'll see there are some detailed "how to" on your topic.
Btw is your car a 997.1 Turbo or is it a C4S with Turbo spoiler assembly. The pic of the rear of your car makes it look like you've got a C4S rear number on. Just curious.
Good luck with the remediation Thumb

Magic919
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beep when locking can be a sign something isn’t properly closed. Centre console can cause it.

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Nik , drop forum member Monster a PM as he has done this convertion and may be able to give you a fix , sounds to me like it needs a relay or something but hopefully he will help Thumb

failing that sell me those lights Grin Grin

Thanks Phil, I was hoping he would see the thread and shine some light on this Very Happy
As for the lights, these are rarer the rocking horse sh*t, it took me over a year to find a set at a normal price, but I'll put you first in line Thumb

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
Hi Niko
Looks great. Looks like from your description that your missing the control units. If you do a Google search you'll see there are some detailed "how to" on your topic.
Btw is your car a 997.1 Turbo or is it a C4S with Turbo spoiler assembly. The pic of the rear of your car makes it look like you've got a C4S rear number on. Just curious.
Good luck with the remediation Thumb

Thanks FZP,
I changed the rear control unit, thought that was all it needed, the indie that tried to code it told me that I might need to change the front one as well, first time I heard that, I will visit my OPC tomorrow, they have always helped me out before and for free Very Happy Very Happy
I've got a 997.1 C2S, I always liked the gadgetry with the rear wing of the turbo that's why I got it, then I had to balance it and get the front end too Laughing Laughing Laughing

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic919 wrote:
The beep when locking can be a sign something isn’t properly closed. Centre console can cause it.

I checked everything, including the glove box and everything was closed, maybe it has something to do with the coding Question

Clanky
Österreich

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,
Glad to see them finally fitted! They do suit the darker car better than the grey.
When I did my conversion, I bought a pair of interface modules which were supposed to avoid the need for changing out the original module. It turned out that they didn't quite work as advertised & caused the dash indicator to flag up as a failed reversing light. I ended up having to change the original car rear module for a gen 2, keep the interface modules at the rear & modify them to get everything working as it should.
I'll look up the original post as I'm sure I posted all the info on here in the end...

S3 Daily Driver

Clanky
Österreich

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=99735&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Some good info & links there...

S3 Daily Driver

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Wayne, I'll have a read through.
I really am in love with these lights, thanks btw thumbsup

FZP
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikos525 wrote:

I agree. I love parking it at night and looking back at it. Thumb

Phil 997
Donnington
Donnington

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikos525 wrote:

Dont rub the light in mate Grin Grin If you need monsters input let me know and I will send him a text to have a look at the thread , as hes not on here much at the moment as doing a huge house renovation Thumb

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
nikos525 wrote:

Dont rub the light in mate Grin Grin If you need monsters input let me know and I will send him a text to have a look at the thread , as hes not on here much at the moment as doing a huge house renovation Thumb

Cheers Phil, I'd appreciate it if you could SMS monster to see if he can shed some "light" on the issue Very Happy Very Happy
I'm off to DC & NY for the next 2 weeks so I'll have another look at getting it sorted when I'm back & I will see if there are any goodies to pick up while I'm out there.
Hopefully some engine mounts yes

Phil 997
Donnington
Donnington

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor Floor I will ask him to have a read of the thread and see if he has any pearls to add Thumb

monster
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nik, Phil has just prompted me lol! - Ive just read through your thread - What you've done to car looks very nice!

I must admit, as others have said I am not sure the horn beep is linked to the light conversion, that is usually associated with frunk or glovebox etc not being shut properly check even your arm rest cover is shut as I think that can trigger it too...

Regarding the indicators blinking fast - I really think this is associated with either the rear control unit or the settings you have selected within PIWIS. You need to ensure you have the correct control unit which it looks like you have done, and then ensure you have selected all the correct associated options within PIWIS, in particular telling the car via the PIWIS option that it is now running LED lights.

You may find that the beep goes away when you have all the PIWIS settings correct although I am not convinced that it is linked...

I know you have tried programming it already, but I am pretty sure that is where the issue with the rapid flashing lies, so get it hooked up again to PIWIS before you try anything else - also it is very important to do a 'vehicle handover' within PIWIS at the end of the programming session as well, in fact this could be the issue have you not done that!

Let us know how you get on!

Good luck with it Thumb

monster
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - if I understand the sequence of events correctly from your first post, it sounds like you latterly have copied the old data from the old control unit into the new one - surely this then will have reverted back to the non LED light setting and then you removed the tab from the connector to ensure it seated properly???

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monster and thanks Phil for prompting monster.
So the series of events went as described, but I will add some things; initially when they tried to code the new rear module they didn't copy the settings from the old one, it was a case of it's a 997, coupe, with an alarm etc, originally the unit was from a Cayman.
It was only after they spoke with someone else that they found out that they need to copy over all the settings, so that's when they swapped the units around, did something in PIWIS, put the old unit back in and said they copied all the settings over. I don't know if you can copy/paste settings, I thought they would have done them one by one in the menu, but hey what do I know!
They selected LED from the drop down menu.
I have no idea if they did the handover thing.
But they said it looks like a problem with the front indicators now, which are LED, however, they were working perfectly before the conversion.
As for the horn, I've checked everything and everything is closed, I even put my phone to record in the glove box to ensure that the light was switching off when I closed it.
I personally think the horn beep is linked to the rear module that was changed, correct me if I'm wrong isn't it linked to the alarm in some way?
Thanks
Nik

monster
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the Part numbers for the later control units you need, do they match the ones you have used?

Front LED control unit 997 618 512 01

Rear LED control unit 997 618 260 08

When we set mine up within PIWIS, we didn't copy in the settings from the old unit, we just went through the options on the new unit and set it accordingly.

A vehicle handover at the end of reprogramming is key.

If you have the correct control units now in the car, I am pretty confident it is down to the programming - and that may well cure the beep, I would certainly leave the beep until you've solved the flashing issue first just in case they are linked!

nikos525
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Monster,
I fitted the Rear unit 997 618 260 08 / old unit was 997 618 260 04 IIRC,
I haven't changed the front unit as the leds up front had a plug and play module & were working perfectly fine before I updated the rear unit.
I'll get it into my friendly OPC and see what they come up with.
Cheers
Nik

myw
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome, tim + nick, the gang is all here. i am indebted to tim, as he was a huge help for my conversion as well.

nick, i am almost positive that your rear module final setting may still be set as incandescent and not LED. i think during the handover and settings copying the the module may have been reset.

to those that are doing the conversion, depending upon the year of your car (i think this applies for 2005) your rear light male plug is a tad too long and the 2009+ taillight even when plugged in will not have the electrical contacts connect. either the plastic tabbing needs to be shaved or the rear tailight female coupler needs to be shaved down a few mm. i had the exact same issue as nick when i was supervising my conversion, and thought my lights were damaged until i had the body shop doing some shaving and it worked.

ps nick, you car looks great - you need a full interior + exterior photoshoot done when its all sorted.

obviously i love the 997.2 clears + conversion.

monster wrote:
Hi Nik, Phil has just prompted me lol! - Ive just read through your thread - What you've done to car looks very nice!

I must admit, as others have said I am not sure the horn beep is linked to the light conversion, that is usually associated with frunk or glovebox etc not being shut properly check even your arm rest cover is shut as I think that can trigger it too...

Regarding the indicators blinking fast - I really think this is associated with either the rear control unit or the settings you have selected within PIWIS. You need to ensure you have the correct control unit which it looks like you have done, and then ensure you have selected all the correct associated options within PIWIS, in particular telling the car via the PIWIS option that it is now running LED lights.

You may find that the beep goes away when you have all the PIWIS settings correct although I am not convinced that it is linked...

I know you have tried programming it already, but I am pretty sure that is where the issue with the rapid flashing lies, so get it hooked up again to PIWIS before you try anything else - also it is very important to do a 'vehicle handover' within PIWIS at the end of the programming session as well, in fact this could be the issue have you not done that!

Let us know how you get on!

Good luck with it Thumb

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: