Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Craig's Ownership Thread - Project 996

Great post and thread Craig,
Read this with real interest as I recently went into the garage to give my C4s it's monthly warm-up!(off the road for winter!!) and spotted a wet patch on the garage floor at the front n/s of the car, after investigating I found that the Radiator is leaking.
My plan now is to carry out the same work as you have done over the next few weeks and replace all Rad's and a clean up behind the arch liners.
Thanks to the detail and photo's you have shown it all looks fairly straight forward...hopefully!!

Could you tell me where you purchased you radiators and condensers from and how expensive were the small bits and pieces from Porsche, as it looks like a wheel refurb and car detail will be on the back burner for now
:roll: :roll:

cheers.

wasz said:
Just don't get any on your hands! and you need to use the whole little tin in one go - it reacts with moisture in the air so once its opened, its done.

A tip that I have read (on another forum) is to use a welding torch gas supply to flush out the air from a tin when storing it- makes it last a little longer.

Dammit said:
wasz said:
Just don't get any on your hands! and you need to use the whole little tin in one go - it reacts with moisture in the air so once its opened, its done.

A tip that I have read (on another forum) is to use a welding torch gas supply to flush out the air from a tin when storing it- makes it last a little longer.

After use put cling film over the tin before you put the lid back on, that also works :thumb:

Great work, looks like Mark is getting a mint set of coilovers :damn: :mrgreen: :thumb:

Hi wasz,

Thanks for the heads up with the POR15 getting on your hands !!! ha, but its about two month too late :sad: I got it all over my hands and arms and it took over a week to get it off !!!

Personally i'd rate powder coat over POR for now.... but will see over time as I now have both on my car so I can see which one protects for the longest.

Hi Fastlane,

Haha.... what can i say ??? errrr, sorry ??? :floor:

The Ohlins are on and i've been out in it and it feels excellent, but i'm going to need a full geo setup before i can comment further. Lovely piece of kit !!

Thanks Mate :thumbs:

Hi lenny,

As long as you have a basic knowledge of how things go then you should have no issues doing the rads yourself, just remember to keep the nuts/bolts/clips etc. separate from each other. If you get stuck there are plenty of videos on youtube for bumper removal, headlights etc. plus, feel free to ask me if there is something you aren't sure on.... If I can help, I will :thumb:

I got the radiators and air con condensors off of eBay, i'll have a look for them this afternoon and PM you the links. As for the parts from Porsche, it really depends how far you want to go, i changed clips and screws etc that didnt really need changed, and half of the stuff you can get cheaper elsewhere so there is always that option, i'm sure my bits were around £200 from OPC but like i said, you wouldnt need all those bits.

I have most of my old bits here which are in useable condition if you need any hangers or clips... If i have what you need i'll happily post them down to you FOC.

Cheers :bye:

Thanks coullstar :thumbs:

Hi Jezz,

Yes, Mark is getting a descent set of coilovers, He loved how my car drove with them and I have all the setting to go with it so it'll definitely be better than what he has now.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Take it easy

Craig

Hi guys,

Ok, so here it is......... the last few things I can do to the car before it's off for paint work and finally finished.

First off was a new air intake. I'd had the Evoms one on now for nearly 5 year and fancied a change, a few weeks after this, up pops an almost new EuroCup GT Twin Air Intake. I'd seen one of these not long after I bought the Evoms and thought they looked really nice. So, I took the plunge.

Old Evoms.

New EuroCup.

Now, I have heard that apparently the Evoms is a better design as it doesn't suck hot air from the engine like the EuroCup would due to its enclosed design. But I can only see this happening whilst the car is stationary??? When driving the air passing underneath the car would pull the hot air away, plus with the air going over the top of the car and being pushed/sucked in through the engine bay lid would push the hot air down and out the bottom??? Anyway, who knows. For what BHP I may or may not lose, it doesn't really bother me that much. I personally think the EuroCup looks amazing and it really cleans up the engine bay and although no one will ever really see it, I'm happier with the new one.

Time to fit the Ohlins.........

First was to get the car back to Marks. We put the car on axle stands so that all four wheels were off the floor. This just made it a lot easier to work on.

We needed to finish off rust proofing and painting the front arches behind the strut top mounts and in the whole of the rear arches as these had not been touched yet.

So, wheels off, front bottom ball joints out, track rod ends off, brake callipers off and top mount bolts out and then both front struts just drop out. Then with the rears, just strut top mount bolts out and the bolt from the bottom of the shocker out from the hub and then they just both drop down a bit and pull out from the top.

On inspection both rear arches were in pretty mint condition. There was the odd dot of rust on the seams but that's it.

We started on the front as there was very little prep work to be done. Just wire brushed the surface rust off, prepped it and painted it. As with the rears, it was pretty much the same, file away the surface rust, prep and then paint.

Although that all may have sounded pretty easy, it took most of the Saturday to get it all done. So, we just left it for the paint to dry so it was nice and set for the week after so we could refit the new suspension. There was a little shopping list for Porsche, couple of rubber grommets for the front wheel arches and new rear shocker nuts and bolts.

The following Saturday it was up to Marks nice and early to make a start on refitting. I love this part.

The Ohlins Kit.

We put it all together using the settings that were supplied with the kit. Everything went together perfectly. As you would pretty much expect.

All the wheel arches at this point were looking excellent, all ready for the new suspension. We started with the front and then moved on to the rear.

Time to fit the Ohlins.

Only issue we had with the rear was that in all the images it shows the rear anti roll bar brackets sitting right at the bottom of the strut, but according to the measurements diagram it had to be 32mm down from the height adjuster nut. We set it up using the measurements diagram as the image diagram could have just been for show. But after fitting the shocker in place we realised that the anti roll bar links just wouldn't fit with the brackets in that position. We then set them as per the diagram showed, and they just slotted into place perfectly.

Then it was back onto its wheels and that was that. Job done!

The following Monday I purchased the Snorkel bit for the engine lid that galahad pointed out to me. Turns out it's a genuine Porsche part??? For a 997, some special equipment or something. Looks good though.

Old one.

New one.

So last but not least, I purchased a new set of Black and silver centre caps, these are none genuine but will do till some become available.

Next is a service in April. It's getting......

Service, using Millers 10w 50.
New uprated 997 gearbox internals and slave cylinder.
New low temp thermostat.
New genuine water pump and gasket.
New genuine AOS.
New Top Gear Stainless Manifolds and poppopbangbang's titanium studs.
Air Con recharge after new rads fitted.

This all being done it's only a bit of paintwork then the car is pretty much finished, god knows where I'll go from here.

Thanks for reading people, and for all the comments left.

Craig

the new intake system looks good.

have you got a GT3 bootlid under that RS rear spoiler?

it might be worth your while looking into an RS style ram air duct to help get more air into the intake as you have dual outlets now? have a look at my build thread and you can see it on mine. it sits just by the air in take and drives more air into the open hole/air intake channel.

you can get one from Design 911 in carbon effect but I had mine painted red to match the car.

where the air is coming in is only served on the left side so well worth finding out how you can get air in via the right channel as well?

its supposed to have a real big effect when on the move. the more air you get in then the bigger the gains

the ohlins look the part and they are supposed to be the muts nuts suspension wise.

Looking really nice mate, lots of hard work there, nice to see lots of pictures of what's been done too so thanks for sharing, i'm really looking forward to getting onto my new list of 'to do's' on mine and seeing this wets my appetite even more!, bloody love these things! they are so addictive never has a car got under my skin like the 996 has, seeing others have the same addiction to keep on improving and maintaining,

i'm the same i feel once i have done what i want to do on my 996 (this year i may complete if all goes well) what will be next.. i don't know if i will ever stop tinkering with it as i don't intend on selling, i think it will always been an ongoing project

Looks great and i bet it handles amazingly well, how do the Ohlins compare to the previous set up?

Dammit said:
Could a 996 use that dual intake 997 arrangement?

The symmetry is appealing.

Yes, however the dual intake is the carbon X51 airbox that is very expensive.

OP - Could you tell me what this little black box is? And where has your secondary air pump gone?

Attachments

• secondary_air_pump_delete_400.jpg
    secondary_air_pump_delete_400.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 6,894
Amazing thread Craig :thumbs: Great read and build so far!! Thanks for sharing! Definitely some jobs I want to tackle myself on my C4S.
Ohlins :puh:

Hi NLW73,

Yeah, looks alone i'm well chuffed with it, i do have a genuine Porsche MK2 boot lid, yes...

I've had a look at your thread and i like the look of the scoop you had fitted (and the car obviously) :thumb: Thanks for the heads up, definitely something to think about, but although i have dual air intakes i only have one hole to supply the air, on the near side, but could buy the other side matching air duct that is available from Porsche, but this would require cutting a hole into the lid on the other side the same size. I'm just a little wary of cutting into a perfectly good part, i suppose i could get the body shop to look at it. maybe a mod i should do though.

Thanks for that :thumbs:

Hi JM30,

Thanks :thumb: It is addictive once you started, problem is where you draw the line. I can't see myself ever selling mine, they are amazing cars and for the money, what else could you get that's as good.

Make sure you keep us informed of your progress, always good to see others that put the same effort in !!

I've not had the Ohlins set up properly yet, need to go for a geo set up first then get down to Centre Gravity and then i'll see if it's as good or better than the KW's :thumbs:

Thanks Mate

Hi steve r,

I had a check tonight and with some careful cutting i should be able to fit the right side air snorkel to match, it is available from Porsche. Just not sure if i want to cut into my lid is all, that carbon intake is pretty special !! ha, I like !!!Maybe something for the future :thumb:

Thanks.

Hi Dammit,

as above, it's very appealing, and the more people keep suggesting it the more i'm thinking about it.... I'd definitely do it if i bought that 997 carbon intake, but still 50/50 for the EuroCup.

Cheers.

Hi crash7,

As far as i'm aware, the early 996's didn't have an air pump. That black box you can see where the air pump would be, is where i done the connections for my PSE. I bought Top Gear Valvetronic exhausts and instead of using the supplied remote control, i wired in the genuine switch, that's just a IP65 rated junction box that houses the latching relay :thumbs:

Hi Yas.SYC4S,

Thanks :thumb: the Ohlins are lovely !! DO IT !!! :Dance-Tap:

Thanks Guys :worship:

Hi Craig,
any comments on your Ohlins yet?

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage