Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wierd electrical/central locking issue

its difficult for me to say .. i cant see the car so am working on what you have posted .

Info ..

The car wont lock ..

So .. its either not seeing the signal to lock or its seeing something critical that it wont lock because of that.

No signal .. can be seen on a tester .. fob signal in alarm actual values .

Fob faulty or alarm not seeing the signal so antenna lead or faulty alarm control unit .

Critical items ..

If it thinks the key is in the ignition it wont lock .

If it thinks the drivers door is open it wont lock .

It will lock for pretty much every situation other than that but will beep if it sees a fault .

That sensor is pretty much just an led .. i guess it could cause this .. all i can say is i wouldn,t expect it to do this and ive never seen it before .

I have seen the faults ive listed though .

Drivers door lock can be seen on a tester .

Ignition key being seen as still in the lock can be seen on a tester.

Fob signal .. which will rule out the antenna lead and the fob .. can be seen on a tester .

As with all things we eliminate each posibility then move onto the next .

When we have proved all external parts are ok we replace the control unit as thats all thats left and its almost impossible to prove a control unit / software fault.

We eliminate things .

EDIT ..

The codes would help if you can get them .

OK, he cleared them however I might nip in on Sat morning. Just to note, the car locks with the key OK but 75% of the time the alarm goes off straight away when unlocking. I think if I can test that my fob is actually sending out a signal that will help. I'm thinking as the fob doesn't pop the bonnet it's got to be either the fob or the reciever in the car, any idea where it's located. I would guess that if either isn't working the car probably won't throw a code as it won't know they're not working or am I being daft?

The key and the fob are seperate systems .. the key mechanically moves the drivers lock mechanism and that sends out the lock or unlock signal.

The fob sends a frequency direct to the alarm control unit (433 mhz in this country ) .

The antenna lead plugs direct into the alarm cu which is under the passenger seat (black wire with a brass connection ) .

You should have 10 seconds before the alarm tiggers so that in its self is a fault .. might be the cu is " upset " .. its been locked with a fob but now is being unlocked with a key many times .. or it might be seeing something it thinks is a theft attempt .

You wont get a code for a fob fault .. there isnt one .. it either gets the signal or doesnt.

90 % of the time its a fob fault but ive listed other things that can cause it and i have seen over the years .

Check under the passenger seat for water / drinks bottles as thats another possibility ... CU,s dont like water .

With out looking at the car im kinda stuck on what else to tell you im afraid :(

I did read a website saying that putting a sensitive piece of electronics in the lowest part of the car was a bit of a stupid move. I'm going to a locksmiths on Sat afternoon as they can then test my fob and car. My gut feeling is that you're right, the fob dead. It's possible it's the original fob so could be 15 years old which means its had a fair bit of hammer. Unfortunately I live near near so nearest opc is an hour a a quarter away so it's a weekend trip only.

They can test the fob is sending a signal .. but its coded ..

Well .. its a rolling code so the fob and the alarm cu keep altering the code .. not sure if they can test its the correct code .. love to know if they can though .

Trouble is .. just throwing a fob at the car is kinda expensive .. hence i would have prefered a tester to see if its recieveing the signal .

But yes .. the fob is the most obvious .. if not that then it will require a " bit " of investigation .

EDIT ..

Porsche still fit CU,s to the floor pan even on the 991 .. ive seen them flooded out before .

water always gets in the passenger side and rarely the drivers side .. RHD have the cu,s under the passenger side .. sigh .

Weird, I wonder why one side is susceptible to flooding than the other. I hopeful it will just be a case of the fobs not transmitting anything when the buttons are pressed then it will be an easy (if expensive) fix.

So just got back from the locksmiths. The fob is sending out a signal so he thinks it's the car. Where is the receiver on the car? Also any ideas as to why the car seems to alternate between opening with the keys with no issues and opening with the key and sounding the alarm.

Edit new issue possibly related. Now the bonnet wont pop at all, i cant hear it actuating either. This is starting to really piss me off and im off for a test drive in an M4 next sunday and i think i might just accept whatever he offers me.

The system has a rolling code which alters every time its used .

The fob may be sending a signal but if the alarm cu and the fob are not on the same code then it wont unlock / lock . The usual resets or replacing the fob is the only fix if its this .

The key is a seperate system to the fob but i have no idea why sometimes the alarm goes off and other times it doesnt other than the alarm cu can get upset when its been locked with a fob and unlocked with a key .

Once the fob issue has been fixed then it normally works fine .

Reciever is in the alarm control unit , under the passenger seat and its the black wire with the brass end on it ( antenna wire ) , all you can do is make sure its plugged in .. never seen one unplugged though .

Bonnet not working and it could be the switch or actuator or if its a mechanical system then the cable .

Its worth checking the fuses .

Your left with the emergency opening procedure in the 996 sub forum to open it .

I know, I had to make use of it when the little weight snapped off the wire. Weirdly I can't even hear it trying to actuate (I'm hoping it's just the cold as I have some clothes under there).

OK brief summary so far

Wireless fob not locking/unlocking car or popping bonnet
Bonnet now no longer popping (not sure if this is related, I'm going to try using the switch for the engine lid and see if that works)
Just noticed passenger door is not locking when the keys is used, not sure if the button on the dash locks it or not.
The little light on the dash doesn't seem to be flashing now either.

I did change the drivers side regulator about a week before the fob stopped working, so I'm just going to check the floor mats for damp as I've read that can cause issues. Does that narrow down things at all?

Chris .. ive told you everything i possibly can about how the system works .. without actually looking at the car then theres nothing else i can say .

You may well have an alarm cu fault .. possibly water .. you may well have any of the faults i have listed .

You need to get a garage to look at it im afraid as im out of things to tell you .

OK. I was clutching at straws really just on the off chance it might have been more obvious. Am I right in thinking there's nothing under the drivers seat in a rhd car?

So a quick update, it's fixed. I got a new fob coded at porschetek in Leeds (good guys) as the original fob wasn't registering even in the ignition then they were scratching theirs heads and checked the fuse in the acu (this was blown and was stopping the bonnet from popping and the fob from remotely locking the car) so I'm now a happy camper as I've just got slightly untidy rear wings to sort then its ready for sale.

Bit of a thread resurrection but I think I've got the same prob with mine at the mo. Changed batteries and checked fuses but still not operating via fob.
I've posted a separate thread in the 996 forum (http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=128176) but searched and found this too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back