Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Helmholtz Resonator delete / CAI hose for X51 / Tiptronics

steve r

Hi,

I wanted to carry out the Helmholtz Resonator delete on my car but it has a X51 engine that has the extra breather pipe connected to the intake hose. I've seen examples where people have fitted a small filter to the breather pipe but wanted neater solution.

I contacted Samco and over the last few months have been working with them on a CAI hose to suit the 996 X51 & Tiptronic cars that have the breather.

Due to the connection to an oil breather pipe it's been Flurosilicone lined which will prevent oil degradation. (Normal coloured silicone is susceptible to oil and will soften over time without a protective liner) and is available in the range of Samco colours.

The finished item is now available under part number TB-5570 (£70) & CKTB5570 (£10) for the clip kit from any Samco dealer. Samco inform me that production capacity is currently at 110% so all orders may take upto 6 weeks.

The pictures show the before & after on my car, please note I have a 997 airbox fitted but it works with the 996 airbox too.
I left the 997 Helmholtz Resonator in place as its harder to remove & smaller than the 996 airbox one and just blanked it off using a plastic bung. If you have a 996 airbox then you can easily remove the Helmholtz Resonator and blank the hole in the usual way.

KNh2yWp.jpg

87dhZp8.jpg

Please note, I've no connection to Samco & no interest in this other than a project for my car & getting a product from a quality manufacturer out there allowing others to carry out the mod to their car.

Hope this helps those of you with the breather pipe carry out the mod.

Steve

Thats a fantastic job, Samco are coming up trumps with things for our cars , just need them to sort a neat fix for the 997.2 :thumb:
I think the 996 one will sell well as its always been an issue for the guys with the breather pipe they need to get it posted on all the main Porsche forums :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks,

When I started looking into this I contacted a few silicone hose companies but hoped that Samco would be the one to help as i've had their hoses on several cars & rate their products. Thankfully they were interested in developing it so after running a few prototypes on my car we came up with the final design.

They do the basic hose without the breather attachment too off the back of this work, that was an easy one to produce quickly as the tooling was simpler.

I'm not sure what their plans are for marketing, i've just posted it on a few forums and Facebook groups I use as i'd like to see it being fitted to other cars after the work i've put into it.

Steve

Hopefully they will when forum member KJD Kev worked with Samco to develop there verson of the std kit it took them a few months to get in into their destributor net work.

Now somewhere someone must have a 997.2 airbot to TB hose kicking around they can let us have to send to Samco so they can develop one for the 997.2 as there is nothing on the market for the 997.2 from anyone. :thumb: :thumb:

Looks to be a good bit of kit.

Their standard hose came about because of this one and got sent out to me too. Hopefully its selling well as that type has been around for ages but this one is all new.

I can send you the contact details of the guy at Samco that helped me if you do want to pursue the 997.2 hose. I had to send them an original hose to replicate and also the exact dimensions of the airbox & throttle body lips to get the internal diameter of the hose spot on.

It is true that work the 996 hose with spout started before I got involved with Mark but it didn't fit the 997 correctly. As a a result of some work I did with them the 997 hose was retooled fits perfectly and has been available for a few months, one or two on here have bought them also.
Pleased to see the 996 spout problems have been successfully resolved as I know it took a little time to get right.
The quality of Samco hoses are surperb and backed up by a genuine lifetime warranty :thumb:

Did it need much rework to fit the 997?

It took a while to get this hose correct but hopefully it was worth it.

steve r said:
Did it need much rework to fit the 997?

It took a while to get this hose correct but hopefully it was worth it.

We originally tried a 996 hose but it didn't fit correctly. The pipe had a slight kink in it so Mark retooled a hose using the dimensions off an OEM 997 hose. The retooled hose slipped on like a glove first time :D

When you put a 996 and a 997 hose together you can see the slight differences even though the air boxes are interchangeable as you have done.

If you have a look at Time Motorsports web page and click on latest developments you will see pictures of my car with the new Samco hose fitted.

As Kev says they are very slightly different and due to the quality of the samco hose it doesnt have the flex to fit both 997 and 996 whereas the thinner plastic versions can be made to interchange.
Thats a very interesting point as Steve has upgraded to a 997 airbox so Steve did Samco use a 997 or 996 hose to modify for your tip feeder line. :?: they need to be aware that they need to use a 996 hose for their production run of these. :thumb:

I am still trying to lay my hands on a used 997.2 stock hose to send them as its a very different shape with a large oval end by the airbox and a large round end for the TB as the TB is bigger on the gen2 more the size of the Gen1 IPD GT3 throttle body :thumb: :thumb: if anyone has a gen2 hose spare please let me know. :thumb:

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I sent Samco a 996 hose with the breather connection to use as the basis for the tooling & trial fitted a few versions so it definitely fits the 996. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back