Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Zunsport grills worth it?

Richtw

Monza
Title says it all really - considering a set of these for an incoming 997? Live in the country and leaves are a right pita! Not keen on the look but the practicality seems good....

Any comments on them?

Thanks

You definitely need to fit some sort of grille. Zunsport seem to be very good quality but that comes at a cost.

I fitted black aluminium mesh (ebay and easy to cut and bend to size/shape) with stainless screws on my 996, very unobtrusive and less than £20 all in.

There is a working 20% code somewhere on t'internet, if that helps.

Just wish they'd make some for the Panamera, it hoovers up leaves like nothing else.

Im looking at grills atm for mine, and it looks like the zunsport ones clip on the outside of the bumper and therefore are a bit too obvious. Some of the other ones like the rennline ones clip on the back of the bumper and are more subtle.

I may well go the DIY route myself as the ready made grills are not cheap.

Mine has zunsport grills, these are fitted on the rear of the bumper.

Ive only seen the external ones from Zunsport, a friend has them fitted to his turbo and they are very obvious. I don't like them. I fitted the mesh to the inside of the bumper following the very detailed process someone posted on here. Very easy job and I think looks superb

the 996 Zunsport grills (certainly for the Carrera) were pretty ugly - their 997 and later versions are a fair bit more successful (flusher and better fit to the openings)....

but in every case, you're pretty much assured a better cleaner result by having the bumper taken off and an appropriate mesh fitted from behind the openings
- all that's typically needed is a few discrete clips, screws and tiger seal

bumper removal and refit isn't the worst thing ever on these cars
i.e. you may have someone else fit the grills/mesh, but you should have no issue taking the bumper back off/on if you wished to periodically clean off all the condensers, etc in future

The various pre-cut grills offered all seem rather expensive to me : '

Did mine a few years ago.

Order a sheet a black mesh, remove bumper which is simple.

Made two paper templates cut out the mesh and Tigersealed them in place total cost £25.

I don't know what they cost so hard to judge. I did the ones on my C2 myself and I think it cost me £15 and an hour or so to do. I would probably pay £30 for pre-cut and formed ones just to be lazy.

MC

I spend a lot of time in the States I bought these new Rennline ones off a guy (who never had them fitted) on the Rennlist forum for $180 delivered to my daughters in Orlando.

14l6olu.jpg

barefoot said:
I spend a lot of time in the States I bought these new Rennline ones off a guy (who never had them fitted) on the Rennlist forum for $180 delivered to my daughters in Orlando.

14l6olu.jpg

Good luck fitting them, I started with a set from Design911 but found that they were not a good fit and I took them back. They were made of steel and as they were supplied flat, they needed bending to fit the contours of the bumper but the steel was too stiff. Ally is much easier.

Daviebrown,
I'm fairly sure that Zunsport do a black edition too.

My 996 turbo has black mesh fitted from behind the bumper, which is almost invisible to the casual observer but has kept the crap out of the radiators for the past few years. Nine Excellence fitted it during a service when the bumper was off anyway; it wasn't very expensive, but I imagine you could do it yourself in a couple of hours with some mesh from eBay and a tube of Tiger Seal as mentioned earlier. It would be a good excuse to make sure the rads and condensers are completely cleaned out too.

Pete

The mesh should keep leaves/stones etc out but finer muck will still get in so it's still worth taking the front off to clean up occasionally and prolong the condensor/rad life.

I just installed them.

I take the bumper off every few months to give the leaves a clean out, so I'm hoping this stops me having to do that.

Personally I think they look nice, I went for the black version and I think they make the front look slightly better than the original slat design.

I was thinking about doing the mesh myself, but the Zunnsport grills are much better quality and I'd rather not have to do it again. The set cost me £150 delivered.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomiNozka
Back