Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Noisy 911 997 (2005)

I've just got some photos back. He said the all six need doing.

Attachments

• dscn3687_817.jpg
    dscn3687_817.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3688_541.jpg
    dscn3688_541.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3689_114.jpg
    dscn3689_114.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3690_919.jpg
    dscn3690_919.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3691_173.jpg
    dscn3691_173.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3692_148.jpg
    dscn3692_148.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3693_779.jpg
    dscn3693_779.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 5,250
  • dscn3694_366.jpg
    dscn3694_366.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5,250
I've no idea what I'm looking at. He also said the scoring and oval shapes.

:eek: Wow.

So, what work are you getting done... new liners, pistons... anything else while its in bits?

It'll be like a new car when its finished

D15 said:
I've no idea what I'm looking at. He also said the scoring and oval shapes.

Sounds like he reckons the bores are both scored and also tending to go oval instead of being round. This can happen due to the thrust pressure on one side of the piston and the fact that the block design is 'open deck' meaning there is no structural support at the top of the cylinders.

I know I've said it before but I would still recommend that your indy uses Hartech to replace the cylinder liners and rebuild your engine

If you are keeping the car ask who will be doing the work on the cylinders as this will either future proof the engine or just be a simple fix that will last X amount of time.

Ask them what other improvements they would advise while the engine is apart.

I personally would ask for Hartech to do the crankcases and let your Indy build it up, anything other than Nikasil liners is a gamble.

[/quote]I sent Hartech the block and a new set of Wossner 100mm forged pistons and they order a set of custom 100mm Nikasil liners which they fitted to the block. Took an extra few weeks for them to do it and unfortunately when the liners finally arrived they were slightly out of spec. (The piston to cylinder clearances ended up being slightly larger than I'd requested/piston manufacturer recommended, which is possibly why I have a very slight tapping noise at low idle since the rebuild :roll:) Forged pistons do expand more and both Grant and Baz said its better to be slighly slacker than tighter, especially as the car will be going on track sometimes.[/quote]

Sorry to have to point this out, but seems like even Hartech can't get it right.

If the liners were out of spec, why were they not sent back? I wouldn't be happy if I had just spent 10k on a rebuild and it was making a tapping noise - it should be perfect.

I don't know the background of this quote or who's engine it was (was it your experience) but it sounds like a custom spec engine, unsure if it was previously tried and tested with research and development?

They are still the best in the business with the best R&D in the UK, I have stood toe to toe with them debating M96 things, I was told I was wrong on one concept, I have since proved that wrong but they have far more knowledge than I ever will, I would still keep taking my engines to them over anyone else.

infrasilver said:
I don't know the background of this quote or who's engine it was (was it your experience) but it sounds like a custom spec engine, unsure if it was previously tried and tested with research and development?

They are still the best in the business with the best R&D in the UK, I have stood toe to toe with them debating M96 things, I was told I was wrong on one concept, I have since proved that wrong but they have far more knowledge than I ever will, I would still keep taking my engines to them over anyone else.

This ^^ Mine was custom spec, Hartech only fitted the liners, they did not build the engine. Hartech had not finalised their 3.9 testing or finished designing their own 3.9 pistons at the time, which is why they would not build me a full engine back then, so my engine spec is untested. With regards to the liners arriving from the manufacturer with the clearance being slightly larger (by 0.02mm), Hartech did say they would order replacements if I wanted, but it would take another month, (it took over a month for the first set to arrive), plus they assured me the slight extra clearance wouldn't be an issue, so I told them to continue. Hartech has now designed their own 3.9 pistons for their full 3.9 engine builds, which are also designed to be more like the original Porsche pistons and quieter. Also the slight tapping noise mine made could still be completely unrelated to my Wossner pistons/clearance, maybe a chain guide noise :?:

Got the car back a couple of weeks ago, full engine rebuild and a new front window mechanism. Just shy of £12k, 12 months warranty with a detailed checklist of everyhting that was changed. The sound is well worth the cost, it truely is an anazing car. Got to take it back after first 250 miles and then 1000 miles for service and checks all included in the cost.

D15, I'm happy that you've got it back and sorted mate :thumb:

It does sound like a lot of money at the minute but when you come to sell ( if you do ) there's going to be plenty of takers I'm sure. They hold their money well with a full rebuilt engine. Just look at the prices of gen 1 on dealers advertising on this website with cars without the rebuild engines.

Will you put a pic up of the list of things you've had done etc please?

We all love to see these things you know :) but you're forgiven because you're new here :grin:

More importantly, it helps others who are in similar positions in the future ( hopefully not) to decide what to do :thumb:

Good luck and enjoy the new Porsche 8)

D15 good to hear its back and your happy, as Iain said you now have a bullet proof car that will command a premium when you sell and if you done and hang on to it for 6 yrs it will ave out at 2k pa which isnt bad motoring :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back