Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY Engine removal - some questions......... and answers.

Some really useful advice here.

I am also thinking of attempting an engine drop - as I have a few jobs that look pretty inaccesible. I also fancy learning how to do this on the 911 (used to be able to get the engine in and out of my mini when I was younger). I have treated myself to a low-rise scissor lift, which is brilliant.

Wasz - The link you posted was great. However am wondering if anyone has come across something thats step-by-step with pictures (like the old haynes manuals) - does anyone have a Bentley manual? If so, does this cover engine removal it step-by-step

Thanks Wasz - have just read the engine removal section. Its not a bad write-up (not up there with the old Haynes manual, but not bad)

Good luck with this, some sound advice.

Get loads of pictures and hopefully you can help those of us willing to do this in the future :thumb:

Ok!

Can't promise mine would be in any way definitive compared with the one KellyAnne has already done though....

May be some pictures and a thread on height and how the car is safely supported, and tools used? :thumb:

I also managed to get my engine/gearbox combo out in one go on a garage floor - I have always used the bread carts to wheel around engines as they are only a few cm off the ground - surprisingly strong - think mine came from Coop if that helps :)

I was on axle stands and didn't quite have enough room so actually lifted the back of the chassis up with my engine hoist wrapped around the rear impact bar. Lifted a few inches off of the rear axle stands and pulled the engine out.

I realise this isnt exactly a scientific way of doing things but it worked and was my first attempt at removing a Porsche engine as I'm used to engines coming out through the top.

Need to take a Boxster engine out now and have decided to buy a lift instead as I cant be bothered to scramble around on the floor anymore.

Stoo.c said:
I also managed to get my engine/gearbox combo out in one go on a garage floor - I have always used the bread carts to wheel around engines as they are only a few cm off the ground - surprisingly strong - think mine came from Coop if that helps :)
I see you are fairly local to me (am Leighton Buzzard) - I have just got a lift fitted. You are welcome to have a look.
(I would also cheekily pick your brains on removing my engine)

Car now up on axle stands.

The stands at the front are standard 2 ton ones bought a while ago from Halfords. They reach 42 cm tall at max extension. The rears are "Wolf 6 ton ratchet" items bought from ebay for £33 for the pair inc delivery. They can go up to 24" or 59cm.

I have lifted the rear of the car (measured from inside the pu rear bumper onto the bottom of the rear impact bar) from 38cm to 79cm i.e. 41 cm.

The rear axle stands are set at about 50cm high to achieve this.

dYeS4o1.jpg

5aKjzpu.jpg

Trolley that I'm going to use to put engine on is in the foreground. Its a crawler with a substantial wooden frame built to support and spread the load on the sump and gearbox.

I had to lift the car in stages.

1.) Lift rear and place on small red axle stands
2.) Lift front and place on front axle stands.
3.) Lift rear again and fully extend the small axle stands.
4.) Lift front on the chassis (Well protected with wooden block) and fully extend front axle stands.
5.) Lift rear again and place on large axle stands
6.) Place block of wood under rear chassis and lift rear again to extend rear axle stands more......

I have a cheap 2 ton trolley jack. One with a rubber pad, and larger lifting range would be a lot easier..

MCFls9t.jpg

sJvwXdn.jpg

Hope this assist a few of you lifting the car

Cheers

I dropped my engine and rolled it from under the car with 25.5" (647.7 mm) clear between the bottom of the oil sump and the floor. I did this with a scissor type transmission jack and a hydraulic table beneath the engine. The table itself is 4 or 5" tall when fully lowered and I used a couple pieces of 1/2" wodd under the rails/sides of the sump so the full weight of the engine woudn't be resting directly on the plate. ** The rear bumper cover and aluminum bumper bar were both removed as well. Good luck[/img]

Attachments

• e3df3011_6058_425f_b03f_cb33e8b61e3a_187.jpeg
    e3df3011_6058_425f_b03f_cb33e8b61e3a_187.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,098
  • b91d6180_4a89_4917_aff7_001b836650e0_582.jpeg
    b91d6180_4a89_4917_aff7_001b836650e0_582.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,098
Cheers Dporto. Good information there. I only have 530mm gap under the sump and my trolley is 130mm tall.

I suspect I will have to go up another 25mm to be sure of clearing the rear impact bar.

Seems like a few of us need engines out! Damn!! :floor: :floor:

I look at these threads and shake my head with amazement and awe. Well played to those of you who are capable. Changing out my exhaust is as much as I'm willing to risk.
:bow:

Jamesx19 said:
I have a cheap 2 ton trolley jack. One with a rubber pad, and larger lifting range would be a lot easier..
Cheers

I use a piece of rubber cut from the tread of a scrap tyre, it sits on the metal cup and makes a great protector for whatever I am lifting.

I also have some of the Porsche pads that slot into the jacking points but I don't usually use them

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back